Home

The Hitchhiker's Guide to Dynasty Reporting

This is a discussion on The Hitchhiker's Guide to Dynasty Reporting within the Dynasty HQ forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Dynasty HQ
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 07-22-2015, 09:56 PM   #9
Leyenda

RoundingThird's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Dynasty Reporting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
Love it, cheese. So much wisdom

My #1 advice is BE DIFFERENT. Do things your way, on your terms, and stand out. If you do that, all of the above will take care of itself.
At the same time, it is also good to look around at others' dynasties to get a feel for their style and what it is that makes them so popular. I know for me personally, if I see a format I like, I'll make a slight tweak to it, and then mention in the thread that I was inspired by whoever for the certain style/format for an Around the League post. Game previews and recaps should be almost unique though. It's you playing the games, so make it creative.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:14 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundingThird
At the same time, it is also good to look around at others' dynasties to get a feel for their style and what it is that makes them so popular. I know for me personally, if I see a format I like, I'll make a slight tweak to it, and then mention in the thread that I was inspired by whoever for the certain style/format for an Around the League post. Game previews and recaps should be almost unique though. It's you playing the games, so make it creative.
Absolutely - great point. That also works for those starting out, and that is a common question that I get messaged to me. I usually will respond with I can show you how to do certain things, but you will need to find your own way to stand out at some point in time. Especially if you do want to get more views, credibility, and overall life on the report.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:49 PM   #11

Cheese2121's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaky29
I want to do a dynasty post, but I'm nearly finished with my 2nd season of a dynasty that I'm really enjoying. Would you dissuade against starting a dynasty post that's already rolling?
I think there are pros and cons to both. If the dynasty that is already rolling, is what you love then that is what you should do. Maybe give us a good run down of what happened previously so we can be caught up with you. The advantage of starting a report from fresh would be it gives your readers more of an opportunity to become invested in the team, the players and the story. This is of course all just my two cents.

Matt and Roundthird: Fantastic points, I know I got inspiration from so many greats that came before me (Deegeezy, Matt10, SPFB, Tearz...just a few who come to mind) but at the same time I tried to find my own style and tried many different things. I am someone who believes in always trying new things too and I am always looking for ways to improve my reports. I love that this thread has started to generate so much discussion. Let's keep it going guys!

XBL Gamer Tag: MrCheese2121 (feel free to add/message me!)

Currently Playing:
NCAA '12 (Xbox 360)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2015, 03:27 AM   #12
MVP

RedRaider10's Arena

OVR: 0

Great post Cheese, I will keep this in mind when I'm reporting in my dynasty.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:47 PM   #13
MVP

JHedges2's Arena

OVR: 12

There is good stuff here. I'd also like to plug http://www.dynastynation.operationsp...beta/index.php if I may. Lot of good stuff on there enabling you to create team pages. You can see my Yankees franchise in my signature if you're interested.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:25 PM   #14
Cooking With Sauce

thesportsguru11's Arena

OVR: 0

Awesome stuff cheese. I wish I could've read this a year ago when I followed none of these rules haha.

Anywho, as someone who has gone from a nobody to somebody in a matter of 7 months, I have some advice, if you don't mind.

Like Matt said, Be Innovative/Creative. That is the biggest way to keep your readers interested. Do things that no one else is trying (example, make your pictures in gif/slideshow format, as I've done.) LopaKa and someone else, whose name escapes me, are the only ones I've ever seen do this aside from myself. I took Lop's idea (the other one came after mine started) and tweaked it to what I could do and made it work for me (massive thanks for the inspiration, bud!)

Create-A-Coach is another something I've never seen anyone do before I implemented it (not to say it hasn't been done...I'm willing to bet it has somewhere, I just haven't seen it yet.)

Point is, there's always new things to try with the depth these dynasty modes and franchise/owner modes can provide, not to mention the number of graphic programs out today and technology available to you. Find something unique and roll with it.

Trying out different things in your first reports can lead to long-term success. Find something you like and make it work! Just don't make it so complicated and time-consuming it becomes a chore. The minute that happens, the minute you burn out.

Lastly, people love a long report (as in, multiple seasons, something to read before bed for a lot of nights). As cheese mentioned, you need to put aside the fact that no one may be watching and enjoy what you're doing for yourself before worrying about going big. Because the fact of the matter is, and beast10 touched upon this, there are folks watching, even if silently.

If you get 5/6 seasons in, I am certain people will find reason to start reading, no matter what team/sport.

With that said, good luck and happy chisin'!

6x Super Bowl Champion Patriots |Red Sox | Celtics | Bruins |Boston College | USC | NASCAR Young Guns

OS' biggest game show nut.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:35 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesportsguru11
Awesome stuff cheese. I wish I could've read this a year ago when I followed none of these rules haha.

Anywho, as someone who has gone from a nobody to somebody in a matter of 7 months, I have some advice, if you don't mind.

Like Matt said, Be Innovative/Creative. That is the biggest way to keep your readers interested. Do things that no one else is trying (example, make your pictures in gif/slideshow format, as I've done.) LopaKa and someone else, whose name escapes me, are the only ones I've ever seen do this aside from myself. I took Lop's idea (the other one came after mine started) and tweaked it to what I could do and made it work for me (massive thanks for the inspiration, bud!)

Create-A-Coach is another something I've never seen anyone do before I implemented it (not to say it hasn't been done...I'm willing to bet it has somewhere, I just haven't seen it yet.)

Point is, there's always new things to try with the depth these dynasty modes and franchise/owner modes can provide, not to mention the number of graphic programs out today and technology available to you. Find something unique and roll with it.

Trying out different things in your first reports can lead to long-term success. Find something you like and make it work! Just don't make it so complicated and time-consuming it becomes a chore. The minute that happens, the minute you burn out.

Lastly, people love a long report (as in, multiple seasons, something to read before bed for a lot of nights). As cheese mentioned, you need to put aside the fact that no one may be watching and enjoy what you're doing for yourself before worrying about going big. Because the fact of the matter is, and beast10 touched upon this, there are folks watching, even if silently.

If you get 5/6 seasons in, I am certain people will find reason to start reading, no matter what team/sport.

With that said, good luck and happy chisin'!
These are all great points, you've definitely found your form by accomplishing those concepts and execution.

I will say the gif thing was done by yours truly back in the day

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...&postcount=294

And then most recently

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...9&postcount=16

I am not proud of too much in this world, but contributions to the dynasty reporting scene has been something i've held dear because it was always my virtual identity. I obsessed over templates and reporting deliveries. I tried so many different ways to do things that now, almost 15 years later, it's second nature. The reporting text posted as images was my finding to skip HTML and just screenshot websites and how they looked, onto dynasty reports. The ESPN graphics and all that came shortly afterwards to enhance the visuals and presentation. I'm not saying everyone copied me, but it was an indirect trend that I started way back on MM, MN days. It's sad that I am still proud of something I started when I was a teenager and now in my 30's

The part that I have struggled with is getting games to play how I want them. NCAA 14 is back to where I want it, and that's why that is the only real game I can play right now next to FIFA. That and these kids costing all my hard earnings :P
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2015, 03:14 PM   #16

Cheese2121's Arena

OVR: 1

I leave the fancy PS templates and beautiful layouts to you two who are far more talented than myself as for me, I plod along in my wonderful world of HTML coding, which I am very SLOWLY learning how to do all together. Much love to both of you and all the other dynasty reporters out here. I love this community and the reports I get to read everyday!

XBL Gamer Tag: MrCheese2121 (feel free to add/message me!)

Currently Playing:
NCAA '12 (Xbox 360)

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Dynasty HQ »