Home

2019 Player Review Thread

This is a discussion on 2019 Player Review Thread within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-04-2019, 11:03 AM   #73
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: 2019 Player Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph33
Eh, I never feel "**** I gotta deal with this guy" when I see MadBum. I'd go after Pudge.

I've been trash with Nolan lately, but he's still someone I hate facing...although playing him late in the night when you're tired probably doesn't help. I couldn't catch up to his fastballs but my opponent has no problem smashing mine when they're in the zone. If you play someone with really good plate discipline, Nolan becomes a lot tougher to use, he's just really hard to hit edges with (They tend to veer out while Kershaw's will stay in the zone)
I'd agree with this assessment of Nolan. I played against him a couple of days ago I singled with my leadoff batter, followed by two walks on about 9 pitches. Knew he was going to have to throw a strike, sat 0-0 heater, grand slam on the first pitch. The guy promptly rage quit.

I've never had a single issue facing Nolan, but you're right, I just key hole low or high fastball. He has no control and is going to leak some over the plate almost every inning. Kershaw is very much the opposite unless the opponent has trouble locating or something.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:57 AM   #74
All Star

OVR: 2

Ugh if I could hit a fastball at all I’d be a WS player

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 05-04-2019, 11:59 AM   #75
MVP

papadell's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury112491
Ugh if I could hit a fastball at all I’d be a WS player

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Take pitches and gauge the speed and then hunt fastballs in the zone. You can adjust to the offspeed
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2019, 01:30 PM   #76
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxatron
Take pitches and gauge the speed and then hunt fastballs in the zone. You can adjust to the offspeed
It's funny because I do the opposite. I sit offspeed and low (because that is where everyone throws them) and adjust for the fastball. I've gotten pretty good at fouling off fastballs.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:31 PM   #77
Rookie

DanH35's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth72
I'd agree with this assessment of Nolan. I played against him a couple of days ago I singled with my leadoff batter, followed by two walks on about 9 pitches. Knew he was going to have to throw a strike, sat 0-0 heater, grand slam on the first pitch. The guy promptly rage quit.

I've never had a single issue facing Nolan, but you're right, I just key hole low or high fastball. He has no control and is going to leak some over the plate almost every inning. Kershaw is very much the opposite unless the opponent has trouble locating or something.
I have both, and Kershaw is a lot better than Ryan. Like mentioned before, if the guy you’re playing has any plate discipline, pitching with Ryan is going to be tough. Kershaw has so many pitches, it’s a lot easier to fool batters with him.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:31 PM   #78
Rookie

I also almost intentionally don't do much in the first inning or two, unless I get a cookie. I'll let the other player pick up a strike or two, just so I can see what they go to as a put away pitch. This will REALLY help you in the 5-6 inning when the opponents pitcher isn't as sharp and the stamina drops etc.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:33 PM   #79
Rookie

Quote:
It's funny because I do the opposite. I sit offspeed and low (because that is where everyone throws them) and adjust for the fastball. I've gotten pretty good at fouling off fastballs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH35
I have both, and Kershaw is a lot better than Ryan. Like mentioned before, if the guy you’re playing has any plate discipline, pitching with Ryan is going to be tough. Kershaw has so many pitches, it’s a lot easier to fool batters with him.
Kershaw is the one guy I cringe when I have to face. I've probably faced him close to 10x now and I've felt good in 3 of those games. I also can't hit Cy Young for the life of me, which sucks because before I sold him everyone was plastering him when I used him..
Old 05-04-2019, 01:35 PM   #80
MVP

papadell's Arena

Quote:
I think it can definitely go either way depending on the pitcher's arsenal. If it's someone with a blazing fastball I'll do what you do sometimes and sit offspeed and look for the break. If it's someone with less of a velocity discrepancy I usually sit fastball and adjust.

And sitting low in the zone has resulted in so many HRs for me. You can almost lure people into throwing low and then ambush them sometimes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »