Home

Nintendo Switch Discussion

This is a discussion on Nintendo Switch Discussion within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-21-2016, 08:53 AM   #73
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Nintendo Switch Announced, Scheduled to Release March 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils
I don't know - $300 for a truly portable home console? Seems good to me. Obviously I'd like to see a lower price, but $300 or less I'm definitely there for Day One.
Well, no doubt for some small group of people the portability will be a very nice selling feature. My point was if it is priced in the same area, the $299 area, as PS4 and Xbox One, the general consumer is going to look at it and say "Well the PS4/Xbox One looks a lot better and has a lot more games, the portability is kind of cool but..."

So in order to avoid competing with those directly, at least initially it needs to be $199 price point *OR* as I stated before, if they cannot do that due to sheer price of production, then set it apart by putting it as cheap as they can go, say $239 or $249 and then include a major heavy hitter 1st party game like a Mario or even Zelda and push it as a LIMITED TIME OPENING BUNDLE offer or something...

I just think putting it at the same price point as the major players is going to invite unwanted comparison and most people will view it as a SECONDARY system to compliment a PS4 or Xbox One and then Nintendo has a second Wii U on its hands.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 10-21-2016, 08:56 AM   #74
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

I guess what I'm trying to say in the above post is that Nintendo cannot compete on an even playing field at this point, they are too late in the game and are starting a new.

They don't need to just compete, they need to set themselves apart as a very good value and if they fail to do that right on launch then this system could be in trouble.

Yes the portability and all the ways you can play it is awesome but that's not going to be enough for most people if they price it the same as the two big boys already established.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

Old 10-21-2016, 08:56 AM   #75
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aukevin
I didn't notice any touchscreen actions in the vid. Wonder if that is part of the gamepad? Maybe not since it is docked at home now....
I think that ship has sailed..not enough people liked it and not enough games utilized it

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2016, 08:58 AM   #76
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

The PS4 and Xbox One are also half-way through their life-cycle and moving on towards more cost effective units while also introducing higher priced models in the near future.

So, for $300 you either get an "old console" or a brand-new product that is 100% portable. I still think its reasonable. When was the last time Nintendo seemed to care about competing directly with PS4 and Xbox One the way those other two companies do?

Of course we still know very little about the console, but for right now the portability is enough to spark interest.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:07 AM   #77
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils
The PS4 and Xbox One are also half-way through their life-cycle and moving on towards more cost effective units while also introducing higher priced models in the near future.

So, for $300 you either get an "old console" or a brand-new product that is 100% portable. I still think its reasonable. When was the last time Nintendo seemed to care about competing directly with PS4 and Xbox One the way those other two companies do?

Of course we still know very little about the console, but for right now the portability is enough to spark interest.
Well you see I'm not really disagreeing with your assessment, hell I am interested and will likely buy it. I'm just saying what I think it will mean for the general public to really get on board.

And I think the general public is sort of dumb when it comes to nuances and/or knowledge...all they're going to see is a $300 system that has a cool feature in portability but gets smoked by the two big players in the graphics and game library department.

I've sold video games before so I'm not sure if most people realize just how really uneducated and uninformed most general people are when it comes to this stuff.

And on a related note also realize that Nintendo is a system that often is sold to parents for their children (I know I know us older gamers buy it too but maybe a better term is family oriented) and parents are even MORE uneducated in many ways.

So keeping that in mind if a parent has $300 to spend on Johnny at Christmas in the near future they will look at the three systems and see the Xbox One and PS4 as being the well known, established brands with crazy graphics, a huge library and they will think, well Nintendos new system looks cool and does have Mario and such but..

..and I just think most parents are going to go with a "proven" system, ESPECIALLY considering how Wii U turned out.

But Nintendo can avoid all that by being on a different tier/price point and avoiding those comparisons. And then that parent, or just regular Joe casual gamer, who has some money to spend will say, hey, why not try this new, cheaper system, looks cool..

Just my thoughts...I'm not a marketing major but I think I've been around gaming long enough to know how people (as a whole) will view these sorts of things

Old 10-21-2016, 09:12 AM   #78
MVP

ricky24's Arena

OVR: 0

I have a 3ds and rarely use is. The portability means almost nothing to me. I mean it looks cool but it's one of those things that I just think the majority of adults will just not use much.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:14 AM   #79
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky24
I have a 3ds and rarely use is. The portability means almost nothing to me. I mean it looks cool but it's one of those things that I just think the majority of adults will just not use much.
Yeah, you are better at brevity than I, bottom line that's also what I think as well..lots of people will look at the commercial and go "wow, that's really cool" and then that's it, it's nice but not a selling point for 95% of the public.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:25 AM   #80
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27

The kids and GF saw the trailer........so it is a day one purchase for me.........

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »