Home

Syracuse Drug Scandal

This is a discussion on Syracuse Drug Scandal within the College Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Syracuse Drug Scandal

According to yahoo:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...olation_030512

Quote:
Over the course of a three-month investigation, four sources with intimate knowledge of the Syracuse men’s basketball program told Yahoo! Sports at least 10 players since 2001 have tested positive for a banned recreational substance or substances. The sources said all 10 of those players were allowed to practice and play at times when they should have been suspended by the athletic department, including instances when some players may not have known of their own ineligibility. The four sources said Syracuse violated its drug policy in at least two areas: failing to properly count positive tests; and playing ineligible players after they should have been subject to suspension.

Four sources said the breadth of potential violations could apply to Syracuse seasons as far back as 2001 and include the 2002-03 national championship season.
Got a feeling 'Cuse fans can kiss that national championship banner goodbye.

Last edited by jyoung; 03-05-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Syracuse Drug Scandal

This came from YahooSports.....what a surprise.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 03-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

I feel like from what we know at the moment, this is nowhere near serious enough to vacate a national championship. And it blows my mind that it's only 10 players. And that it supposedly doesn't include any of the current players, because I constantly hear around campus about all the partying that our guys do lol. I would assume half our team lights up on a regular basis.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 03-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
According to yahoo:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...olation_030512

Got a feeling 'Cuse fans can kiss that national championship banner goodbye.
I cannot think off the top off my head of any major NCAA penalties that have been the result of drug use, so I do not think it will go anywhere any time soon. This is not a huge shock though, kids in college do drugs. The cover up sounds bad but after everything is all said and done, I think this will end up being a non-story.

Gotta love the timing on this article though..
Old 03-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Here is what yahoo had to say about possible penalties:

Quote:
If Syracuse knowingly violated its own drug policies, it could trigger the NCAA’s “Willful Violators” clause, which allows the association to bypass its four-year statute of limitations in favor of levying sanctions as far back as the first in a series of continued infractions. A willful violation is considered one that occurs during a pattern of deliberate or intentional rule-breaking.

Beyond statute-of-limitations issues, Syracuse could also be charged with lack of institutional control for failing to adhere to its own drug policy, similar to sanctions recently levied against Baylor University. A wide-ranging NCAA inquiry into the Bears’ basketball program in 2005 revealed the athletic department failed to follow its established guidelines by concealing positive marijuana tests for three players. A report released by the NCAA’s Committee on Infractions after the Baylor investigation stated: “The failure of the university to follow its own [drug testing] procedures demonstrated a lack of institutional control.”
So they can go back and punish Syracuse as far back as the rule-breaking goes.

Baylor was hit with "lack of institutional control" during a similar drug cover up scandal in 2005.

But of course, Baylor had many other problems during that investigation, such as the murder of a student athlete, lying to investigators, and improper funding of their student athletes. The known drug use and institutional cover up was just one part of the Baylor hoops disaster.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 8

How is it that the NCAA has rules and suspensions for everything except drug use? They allow schools to set their own policies.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

What fantastic timing!

SU Basketball just can't help themselves at this point.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #8
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
Here is what yahoo had to say about possible penalties:

So they can go back and punish Syracuse as far back as the rule-breaking goes.

Baylor was hit with "lack of institutional control" during a similar drug cover up scandal in 2005.

But of course, Baylor had many other problems during that investigation, such as the murder of a student athlete, lying to investigators, and improper funding of their student athletes. The known drug use and institutional cover up was just one part of the Baylor hoops disaster.
Well the Syracuse AD has come out and said that the University has reported all infractions to the NCAA, if this story had any merit I would not expect a AD to flat out deny this. Normally we get the same bs line about the university investigating the case.

I am honestly not worried about this at all, perhaps stuff like this seems minuscule compared to what happened this past fall.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball »