Home

Sleepless in San Diego

This is a discussion on Sleepless in San Diego within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-15-2016, 11:43 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 25
Sleepless in San Diego

System: PS3
Game: MLB 15 The Show (for now)
Schedule: 162 Games (Play 1, Sim 5)
GM Contracts: ON
Roster: OSFM September Update
Hitting Difficulty: Hall of Fame
Pitching Difficulty: Hall of Fame
Injuries: On
Sliders: Custom Sliders

*30 Team Control is off so that GM contracts can be in play. Also, despite how ridiculous the CPU is, it doesn't make much sense for the General Manager of one team to control the moves of the other teams. With that begin said however, I will work actively to ensure that the CPU doesn't do anything stupid such as sending Mike Trout to Detroit for spare parts.

After over half a year away from OS, I am pleased to announce that I am making my return. Before I get to what this dynasty is all about however, I suppose I have some explaining to do because one does not simply leave Operation Sports without a trace for over six months.

I decided to stop posting on OS for a while because I got burned out. Keeping up with the updates, running the thread, playing the games, etc… just became too much for me with school and what not so I decided to ditch The Show for a while. Before I knew it, days turned into weeks and weeks into months. Next thing I know, Spring Training is firing up again and that familiar itch was back.

Now with that out of the way, I can defend my franchise selection. As you can see, I’ve decided to roll with the San Diego Padres. I’ve used them before and I’ll be the first to admit that that franchise was a hot mess. However, this time around I’ll be looking to keep things more realistic. I chose to start this in 2015 for two reasons. The first being that this will be primarily structured around A.J. Preller’s budding General Manager career and that it made sense to start this in the first year he was General Manager of the Padres. Secondly, I wanted to have the opportunity to morph the original team Preller built.

With that being said, this will be a relatively slow moving dynasty. Since this is going to be about telling the story of one particular general manager, there is going to be a lot of off the field material that needs to be covered. I don't intend on hammering this out in a few weeks or a couple months because I simply don't have the time for that kind of feat.

So... Grab a hot dog, grab a coke and grab a seat… It’s about that time again folks.

I've heard that sound 3 times... once was Babe Ruth, the second was Josh Gibson, and the third was Bo Jackson- Buck O'Neil

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2016, 12:25 AM   #2
MVP

Re: Sleepless in San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Fowler: Owner of the Padres
A.J., this fanbase wants a winner... no... needs a winner. I'm sick of this franchise having no plan and being stuck in neutral. Can you give me what I want? Can you give me a winner?
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. Preller
Yes.
Some would say that he's eccentric. Others would say he's a prodigy.

He's an Ivy League product with a future in baseball clearly marked out for him. He's had a keen eye for scouting talent and a productive touch when it comes to developing it.

The man of course which I'm referring to is A.J. Preller and he is the new General Manager of the San Diego Padres.

"The Padres have traditionally been a franchise without a plan.."

In other words for the past couple decades, they have had no idea what in the hell they were doing. Aside from happening into a few division titles over that time period, they have had no sustainable success. This is partly due to their employment of what is generally known as the "S.W.A.G. Method:"

Quote:
S.W.A.G. Method- Stupid Wild *** Guess; a technique/system that usually has the visual appearance of "swag" but generally produces terrifically catastrophic results for the employer of said method.
My friends, the S.W.A.G. Method might sound cool and occasionally look cool but it's not the way you want to go about building a winning baseball team.

Thus, with the entrance of A.J. Preller came the exit of the S.W.A.G. Method. In the S.W.A.G. Method's place, A.J. Preller developed an intricate, complex and brilliant scheme to put the Padres back on top. He applied his Ivy League education; he researched, he analyzed, he read, he wrote, he drew some graphs, made some conclusions and developed what he deemed the granddaddy of all plans to win the Padres a World Series:

Quote:

A.J. Preller's Grand Plan

Let's take all of our quality prospects and move them somewhere else!

Yes! Genius! It was daring! It was feisty!... It was bold!...

and, as we'll see later, it was downright insane.

NEXT: A.J. Preller's First Offseason: A Critical Review

I've heard that sound 3 times... once was Babe Ruth, the second was Josh Gibson, and the third was Bo Jackson- Buck O'Neil

Last edited by royals19; 03-16-2016 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:18 PM   #3
Rookie

NeuroDuck's Arena

OVR: 0

I'm intrigued
Old 03-24-2016, 08:50 PM   #4
MVP

A.J. Preller's First Offseason: A Critical Review

Now when we last left off, it was revealed that A.J. Preller had developed a grandiose plan to ship off everybody who was anybody in the Padres farm system in order to totally shift the direction of the Padres in one sweeping move. As we will see in this post however, that was only a portion of his plan.

In addition to trading all of the Padres quality prospects, he also scoured the league for reclamation projects in hopes of striking gold on at least one or two.

This kind of big, massive thinking, would essentially produce the collection of players that you see below.

Quote:
  • Acquired Matt Kemp, Tim Federowicz and cash from the Dodgers for Yasmani Grandal, Joe wield and Zach Eflin.
  • Acquired Will Myers, Ryan Hanigan, Gerardo Reyes and Jose Castillo in a three-way deal that sends Rene Rivera, Burch Smith and Jake Bauers to the Rays, and Joe Ross and Trea Turner to the Nationals.
  • Acquired Derek Norris and Seth Stretch from the Athletics for Jesse Hahn and R.J. Alvarez
  • Acquired Justin Upton and Aaron Northcraft from the Braves for Max Fried, Jace Peterson, Dustin peterson, Mallex Smith and an international bonus slot.
  • Agreed to acquire Will Middlebrooks from the Red Sox for Ryan Hanigan.
  • Signed free-agent Brandon Morrow to a one-year deal.
  • Signed free-agent Clint Barmes to a one-year deal.
  • Resigned Josh Johnson to a one-year deal.
  • Acquired Craig Kimbrel and Melvin Upton Jr. from the Braves for Cameron Maybin, Carlos Quentin, Jordan Paroubeck and Matt Wisler.
  • Signed free-agent James Shields to a four-year deal.
Right off the bat, you will recognize that this roster added some serious talent with names such as Matt Kemp, Justin Upton, Wil Myers and Craig Kimbrel. After this addition in star-power however, there is a significant drop-off with players such as Will Middlebrooks, Brandon Morrow and Clint Barmes signed to likely take regular roles on the team. The bottom line is, they acquired established, impact talent at the cost of significant, young and touted prospects. The result that you see is a very top heavy team with some serious star-power but one that is lacking in solid, consistent players.

With that established, let's take a closer look at the Padres three biggest acquisitions:

• Beginning with Matt Kemp, it is safe to say that the Padres are attempting to morph Kemp into the face of their franchise. His hefty contract keeps him in San Diego for a while and his notoriety will inevitably put a lot of pressure on him to perform.

Also, with his shooting sleeve and sick gear, he's easily one of the coolest looking players on the field at all times.
  • With Upton, the Padres are likely getting a hired gun which is to say that he will likely only be around for this season. Upton certainly hasn't lived up to his potential since he was selected first overall waaaay back in the day but he is still a star nonetheless. There will inevitably be a lot of focus on him because his success is necessary for the Padres to be competitive. In an alternative storyline, he could also fetch a hefty return at the trade deadline if the Padres need to go that route.

Lastly, Myers is arguably the most intriguing of the bunch. Since winning the Rookie of the Year Award with the Tampa Bay Rays in 2013 after being a much hyped prospect, he has fallen off a little with injuries. The potential is still there and with plenty of club control, he represents a potential future building block for the Padres who are desperate for young players to infuse their roster.

In the final analysis, as mentioned earlier, the Padres built a top-heavy team. They are loaded with star-power but lack consistent role players which are necessary for any team to compete. Their outfield and starting rotation are strengths but their bullpen and infield are comprised of many players who would not possess starting spots on other teams. How the players at these weak positions perform will dictate how well the Padres play this year.

Old 03-26-2016, 01:27 PM   #5
MVP

After going over the systematic destruction of the Padres Farm System that occurred during the offseason,now is as good a time as any to evaluate what the Farm System looks like heading into the 2015 season.

Quote:
Renfroe chased down a deer in a meadow on foot, then ate it that night. There’s also a story from Padres people that the Dominican players were marveling at how effectively Renfroe would chase and catch giant spiders at the Padres complex during Dominican instructs.”

- Fangraphs

1. Hunter Renfroe- OF

Uhhh… Yeah...

He was the Padres 1st round pick in 2013 out of Mississippi State. He possesses tremendous raw tools but at the same time is still tremendously raw. He has plus, plus raw power, good defensive skills, good speed and an excellent arm. Despite his incredible skill set, his hit tool the one most in question due to a very aggressive approach. If he can make consistent contact and cut down on his strikeouts, he could be a potential superstar.

2. Michael Gettys- OF

Gettys was the top high school player in the nation in last year’s draft but fell to the second round due to concerns regarding his hit tool. He is a true five-tool player with scouts comparing him to Mike Trout in the months leading up to the draft, he possesses tremendous bat speed that translates into hard contact and easy plus power. He also possesses the instincts and athleticism to remain in Center Field. He will, like Renfroe, have to make more consistent contact and cut down on his strikeouts if he is going to even tap into his immense potential.

3. Austin Hedges- C

Hedges is a tremendously gifted defensive catcher with easy plus defensive skills and a plus, plus arm. Many scouts agree that he is the best defensive catcher to come through the minors in years, often likening him to Yadier Molina. The only trouble, is his bat. He struggles to make any sort of contact and to hit for any sort of power. Hopefully, Hedges can develop his bat enough to be an everyday player. If not, he appears destined for a backup role with many scouts likening his potential to that of Drew Buetera.

4. Rymer Liriano- OF

Liriano is a solid player with 5 tool potential. He possesses average tools across the board with his good raw power being his best tool. The only problem is that he struggles to make consistent contact while continuing to hit for power. He certainly possesses 20/20 potential but whether that translates to the major leagues will be dependent on his ability to cut down on the massive strikeout totals that he has tallied up in the minor leagues.

5. Cory Spangenberg- 2B

Spangenberg was the 10th overall selection in the 2011 draft due to his plus bat speed and offensive potential. The Padres knew at the time that he would be a defensive project and 4 years later he still is. Spangenberg’s bat will play in the majors however he has had trouble translating his power to games and are still significant enough concerns about his defensive ability that it is unlikely he will be an everyday player at second base with a utility role more likely for his skill set. Even that role however is in doubt due to his total inability to play second base.

6. Jose Rondon- SS

Rondon is a true shortstop with a good arm, range, footwork at the position. Much like the other offensive prospects on this list however, his bat still has significant questions. He hits for decent contact but for very little power. He is a very aggressive hitter and while that hasn’t slowed his offensive numbers in the lower minor leagues, it will plague him in the upper minors as pitchers begin to take advantage of him. He will likely be a starter at shortstop for the Padres if he can develop his bat further.

7. Travis Jankowski- OF

Jankowski is arguably the most rounded player on this prospect list. A refined college product who won MVP honors in the Cape Cod League, Jankowski possesses a good hit tool, light power and good defensive skills. While it is certain that he makes the major leagues, he ranks lower than some of the other talents on this list because he maxes out at as a 4th outfielder/platoon player in the major leagues.

8. Casey Kelly- RHP

Kelly, the former Red Sox prospect who came to San Diego in the Adrian Gonzalez trade, has been on prospect radars forever. After being consistently injured, Kelly’s potential is in foggy. He could surprise everyone in his return from Tommy John surgery and reclaim his potential as a number 1 starter. More likely however, he settles in as a nice backend of the rotation starter.

9. Colin Rea- RHP

Rea is a tall projectable right-handed pitcher who has seen his stuff and results take a swing upwards in the past year. At 6’5, 225lbs, his projection is limited but nonetheless he still has room to improve. In order to reach his ceiling as a number 3/4 starter, Rea must refine his changeup and continue to improve his command. As of now however, Rea looks destined for a role on the Padres Major League roster.

10. Ruddy Giron- SS

Giron is one of the more toolsy prospects in the Padres system. He has a solid bat and will hit for average with average to below average power. Additionally, the Padres are optimistic about his ability to stick at shortstop. At only 19 years old, he is quite a ways away from the majors but is nonetheless someone to keep and eye on as 2015 moves on.

Quote:
OUTLOOK: The Farm System is pretty barren. Aside from Renfroe and Gettys, there are not many impact talents in the system. Additionally, there are virtually no pitchers with any significant potential in the minor leagues. The moves the Padres made in the offseason, combined with its poor drafts the past few years, have made it clear that the Padres Farm System is in dire straits.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2016, 02:33 PM   #6
MVP

San Diego, CA
February 5th, 2015
5:45 AM

A.J. Preller was not simply wheeling and dealing for funsies. No matter how crazy it seemed, there was a method to his madness. After all, he had to meet Ownership Expectations.

As he sat at Dunkin' Donuts sipping on a warm cup-o-joe, his plight became apparent:

Quote:
I haven't been on the job long enough to screw anything up and they've got me rated at a C... Sir...
When he signed on for this job, he knew that the Padres were stuck in neutral. They were geared towards neither the present nor the future. However, when he was hired, A.J. agreed that the only direction for the franchise was forward: Make the playoffs every year and win the Pennant. Otherwise, pack your bags and find another job. There was simply no time to embark upon a rebuild. Therefore, the only logical option was to blow the farm system up and build the best win-now team his money and prospects could buy him.

The word that you could best use to describe Preller and his intentions for the coming year was Change.

The organization's on the field product would have to change. The off the field culture would have to change. The scouting would need to be revamped. The minor league development process would have to be refined...

Everything, and I mean everything, would have to be changed.

Quote:
What have I gotten myself into?
On the surface, the Padres plight didn't look too bad... But underneath the hood, things were in awful shape. They weren't scouting very well, their drafts had been terrible in recent years and they were struggling to develop homegrown talent. All of this would need to change and Preller knew that these weren't things that you could change in a week or a month or a year. No... These changes would take time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. Preller's Award-Winning Plan

1. Rebuild the major league roster to win now. (Check)

2. Rebuild the scouting system.

3. Rebuild the player development system.
As A.J. Preller looked at his laptop and his legal pad, it was clear that Phase 2 on his plan was about to get underway...

Old 04-01-2016, 06:07 PM   #7
MVP

When we last left off, the Padres were looking a little thin on all account of both depth and impact prospects.

This particular situation has resulted in the Padres' Farm System being ranked in the 20-25 range by media outlets. As our hero A.J. Preller knows, someone else doesn't get yourself into such a situation. You get yourself into it. Indeed, the Padres recent trades and poor drafts have lead to a pretty barren farm system which is really 2 or 3 players away from being in the cellar in regards to those aforementioned rankings.

The bottom line is that the system has to be rebuilt if this franchise is going to be competitive... and that's why A.J. Preller has dictated that the scouting system has to be changed because in the final analysis, that's where everything begins.

There is a problem with this newly established emphasis on scouting though...

"The Padres have never been particularly good at developing their own talent."

Quote:

Matt Bush- Padres 1st Overall Selection in 2004
This is a massive problem for a small-market team like the Padres. You can only get away not developing your own players if you can spend money like the New York Yankees.

My dear readers, the Padres are not the New York Yankees. They will have to develop their own players.

The question now is, what kind of model should the Padres adopt?

In A.J. Preller’s mind, the solution was clear:

Grow the Bats, Buy the Arms

In his model, he believed that the Padres should draft and develop offensive minded infielders and defensive minded outfielders and catchers.

Quote:
The Padres need strong offense in the infield because they need strong defense in the outfield and behind the dish. The first and third basemen will primarily be power hitters while the shortstop and second basemen will be a combination of both.In the outfield, the Padres hope to place premium athletes at all three positions with great speed and strong throwing arms. Any offense these players can bring would be a plus.

The pitching on the other hand would come from primarily outside the organization. The Padres would target underperforming major league pitchers who are fly-ball prone and durable. On the minor league side, the Padres would seek to acquire minor league pitchers who are undervalued by their current organization for one reason or another. Regarding the bullpen, the Padres will look to add through primarily trades and free agency, high velocity arms who can rack up strikeouts.

The key here will be to effectively scout and develop their talent. That’s where the scouts and the Farm Director come in. The Padres current assortment of scouts isn’t bad but more needs to be invested into it. The Farm Director will be given a few months to show progress before he is placed on the chopping block.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:26 AM   #8
MVP

orlegend0208's Arena

OVR: 0

Very interesting. I will definitely be following!

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »