Home

In My Father's Shoes | The RTTS Career of Peyton Dean

This is a discussion on In My Father's Shoes | The RTTS Career of Peyton Dean within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 02-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42
In My Father's Shoes | The RTTS Career of Peyton Dean

First of all, welcome to my RTTS adventure. While waiting for MLB 13 The Show to arrive, I've decided to develop a storyline that allows me to play out my current RTTS in '12 The Show and transition seamlessly into '13.

I will continue with my current RTTS character, Curtis Dean, and live out his progress through the experiences of his son. All of the action from Curt's career is happening in MLB '12, yet to make the narrative work I'm putting him back in time on paper in the 1990's. As you can tell, Curtis eventually suffers a tragic accident which leaves Peyton (the son, and MLB '13 RTTS character) with a huge void in his life.

Not unlike other professional superstars, Peyton Dean was blessed with many of the same athletic gifts his father had. Peyton's RTTS journey will feature the on-field progress as he chases his baseball dreams in MLB '13 The Show, while playing off the emotional baggage he mends and important characters and relationships in his life that develop along the way. Until the point I'm ready to begin his RTTS career I hope to develop a story that I can build on for Peyton.

Thanks for stopping by, please comment or provide suggestions at any time. I hope you enjoy and decide to follow along for what I hope is a fun ride.

Last edited by jmik58; 02-21-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

Re: In My Father's Shoes | The RTTS Career of Peyton Dean

- November 21, 2012 -

As a 17-year-old on the cusp of one of his most important life events, Peyton Dean yearned for the kind of advice only his father could give. As he sat on the edge of his bed with his head sagging and hands fumbling at his self-created awkwardness, he grew angry at the moment.

Why can’t my dad just answer me…can’t he see I’m hurting? Why do I keep doing this to myself?

His thoughts shifted back to his dad. Peyton’s life was screaming at him fast, his future imminent. Most teenagers were busy back-talking or breaking rules – trying to find their own identities, to be their own man. But he didn’t even know how to do that. These are the things a father teaches his son. But there’s only so much you can learn from someone who’s not even there.

“Why can’t you say something..anything!?” His voiced bounced around the walls of his bedroom, echoing in a strange high-pitch frequency that caught him off-guard. For a brief moment he worried that his mom or sisters might have heard him. He snickered at his own stupidity – knowing that he was at home by himself.

Alone. Just as he had been since that terrible day the darkness started – January 17th, 1997. Curtis Dean was a man who would give the shirt off his back for a stranger, at least that’s what everyone said.

But did he have to give his life? Wasn’t his job to protect his own family, not give it away for one person – a stranger? Peyton had struggled mightily. He barely remembered his dad except for what he had seen in pictures. In his mind, life was frozen since that day. Ice cold. Just like the water Curtis jumped in to save some hapless fisherman who had fallen through the ice.

He had his entire dreams ahead of him. The perfect life; a wife, four kids, a house – everything he dreamed of and more. But the Dean family didn’t mourn alone; the entire nation joined in. One of professional baseball’s brightest stars was suddenly gone in the prime of his career.

In many ways, Peyton resented the public for the way his father was portrayed. He hated how his dad had been reduced to a baseball player. Everyone missed the hits, the home runs, and the championships with the Yankees. But no one could share in the grief of a son who lost his father.

Peyton grabbed a shoe box from under his bed. It was the first time he had touched it in more than a year and the dust was so heavy you could barely make out the words “Nike” on the top. He pulled at the corner carefully and the lid felt like a twenty-pound sheet of solid steel.

“I know you can’t talk to me, dad,” he paused. Peyton pulled open the box, inside was a pile of newspaper clippings from his father’s career. His mom told him she started collecting them when Curtis was fresh into his minor league career and never stopped until he had passed.

His dad may not have been able to teach his son many face-to-face lessons, but one thing he passed on was his athletic ability and exceptional eye-hand coordination. As one of the nation’s top high school baseball talents, Peyton knew he had big choices to make. Go to college or head straight for the pros?

Most children of professional athletes want to make a life of their own – establish a unique identity. Usually it’s fathers who live out failed dreams through their children. But what about children who seek out a lost parent by walking in their footsteps?

As Peyton sifted through the articles in the shoebox he felt a comforting presence come over him – one like he hadn’t felt in quite some time. Was uncovering his father’s past the first step in growing? Could his dad still find ways to speak to him – to teach him important lessons?

His dad had walked the same path but Peyton didn’t want to be his dad. He simply wanted to be connected in his journey. Somehow, in learning of his father’s past and walking in his shoes, he hoped to feel what his dad felt, to experience the same things. Maybe then, at least in the smallest detail, he could have just one tiny piece to fill a portion of the biggest void in his life.

Somehow, in those old musty newspaper pages, the silence and emptiness faded slightly.

“I can hear you dad,” Peyton said as he reached into the box. “Speak to me. I’m listening.”

Last edited by jmik58; 02-21-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

For a moment he considered putting the box back under his bed. Peyton had perfected his ability to guard against the extreme highs and lows, but this moment seemed different. People talk about the calm before the storm, but he thought of it more as a gift before a push off the cliff or happiness followed by a rug pull.

But it wasn't happiness or anger that drove him to reach into the shoebox. He was curious. For once it didn't feel as though he was grasping at the air looking for directions. These pages were real and the stories they held weren't embelished or fabricated.

He pinned the corner of one of the articles and slid it up where he could grasp it. It was a scouting report and boxscore with an article stapled to it from 1995 -- Curt's second-to-last year in the majors.

It was strange to see the report on such a young man, merely twenty-one at the time. He let that soak in for a moment, realizing what his dad had accomplished at such a young age -- only four years older than Peyton was at the moment.

He wondered what his dad had experienced as a high school senior, living in the limelight and eventually being drafted to a contract with the New York Yankees. His dad's success gave him a rush of confidence as he flipped the paper to read the article behind the boxscore.

Peyton started to drift away mentally, in a dream state. Imagine, playing with guys like Don Mattingly in his final season or Derek Jeter as a rookie. The thought struck him suddenly.

My dad played with Derek Jeter. Wow! Imagine if the two of them grew up as a duo in the Yankees system together. He caught himself climbing an emotional roller coaster and was embarassed he got so caught up. He slammed the papers back into the box and slid it under his bed. He wasn't ready for this today.

Peyton slowly laid back onto his bed, the sun beating down on his lower body through the window. The warmth calmed him as he closed his eyes and drifted from a daydream to full sleep. It was hard work being so guarded against his own feelings -- exhausting even.

As he slipped into a deep slumber his young mind didn't hide what he couldn't let go. There he was, hovering above the field. His dad's sweet swing blasting a shot down the right-field line against the rival Baltimore Orioles. Awake, he wouldn't allow himself to revel in such a thought. But asleep, his body responded to the spirit in his dreams -- involuntarily smiling from ear to ear.

Someday, he dreamed, that might just be me.

Last edited by jmik58; 02-21-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

- December 22, 2012 -

"So apparently the Mayans were wrong or this is some twisted version of hell." Peyton's 16-year-old sister Ashley chided him and their mother as she came down the stairs for breakfast.

A smirk emerged from the corner of his mouth. "I'd say this is as 'Heaven' as it gets -- considering you get to be in the presence of someone as wonderful as myself." His face, still relaxed from the previous night's sleep, helped frame his sarcastic tone.

Ashley playfully smacked towards her brother's head as she walked past where he was seated at the kitchen table. Feigning annoyance, he cocked his ear to his shoulder, never one to let his sister get the best of him even in the lightest of moments.

"Have either of you heard from Carrie this morning?" their mother, Kim, asked.

Peyton stuffed his mouth with a hunk of syrup-soaked waffle and passed the question with an inquisitive gaze at his younger sibling.

Sensing the silence as she grabbed an orange and piece of toast, Ashley shrugged her shoulders without making eye contact at either of them.

Peyton's palate now clear, bounced the attempted small talk back at his mom. "When are grandma and grandpa supposed to get here? I'm outgrowing my dinosaur sweater from last year and my car is about a gallon low on gas -- I could really use my annual five-dollar gift card."

His mom rolled her eyes, refusing to play into his quasi complaint. She turned away so he couldn't see the smile growing on her face; always a sucker for his dry humor which reminded her of his father. "You know they haven't seen you since August. You hardly talk to them. Grandma said that your grandpa has been blabbing non-stop about his little slugger."

"Oh god, that's all anyone ever wants to talk about." Peyton's tone showed genuine emotion for the first time all morning. His whole life he had been known as 'Curt's son' and despite his contrasting skills on the diamond everyone who talked about him only did so in a way that compared him to the standard of his father.

Now Ashley joined in, her disgust growing for her brother. "Wow, it must be so horrible to have everyone think you're the second coming of Christ." Her sarcasm laid on thick, Peyton's face scrunched as he leaned back in disbelief.

"Try being a girl for a day. Your hair is never straight enough, shiny enough; short enough, curly enough, dark enough, light enough..." Ashley rambled on as Peyton's eyes glazed over and his ears blended her voice into the white noise of the room.

"Whatever," he conceded to the argument; never one to enjoy a debate. "I don't understand you and no one gets where I'm coming from. I know, shocking."

Their mother tried to change the subject. "Is Lizzie going to stop by later?" she asked Peyton.

"Ya, but I'm sneaking her in the back."

"Oh stop it. At least it would give your grandpa something else to bug you about." Kim tried to cheer him up slightly.

"And Carrie." Peyton's condescending tone revealed his reluctance to be the center of attention, knowing that his protective older sister would likely prod him and his girlfriend for every detail down to her ancestry.

He had always enjoyed being out of the spotlight which conflicted with his competitive desire. He hated losing but always a close second was the attention that came with being successful. The same way that Bill Belichick loved the game of football and hated the media; so too did Peyton's enjoyment for baseball stop at the field's edge.

“Well from the sound of things she’s got a new boyfriend so you may be in luck,” added Ashley.

Peyton had always been closest with Carrie but their relationship had faded since she left for college. He often clashed with his mother growing up and his older sister provided the perfect buffer between the two of them.

“Thank god. Make sure grandpa finds out as soon as he gets here.” The dryness in Peyton’s voice always kept the mood light around the Dean household. Always guarded in his emotions, even his humor had a reserved nature to it, not unlike the rest of his family. The pain and emptiness they experienced nearly sixteen years ago had altered them collectively in ways that would never change.

Just then the reflection of light from a passing car traveled across the cupboard doors as Kim’s parents pulled into the driveway. Peyton popped up, released a deep breath, and headed towards the door. He matched the smiles of his grandparents as they exchanged hugs while Ashley and Kim waited their turn.

Taking the packages from his grandparents’ hands, Peyton shook the box with his name on it as his voice rose to a forced octave of excitement. “I wonder what it could be.”

He turned to catch Ashley’s stare as he shot a wink at her. She quickly tried to look away but had to catch herself as she drew her chin to her chest and buffered her near outburst of laughter with a well placed hand over her mouth.

He walked past her as she popped a soft elbow into his side. Taking the box in his open hand he carried it like a pizza towards the Christmas tree and softly mumbled to Ashley. “One dinosaur sweater coming right up.”

Last edited by jmik58; 02-21-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:02 AM   #5
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

June 14, 1995

Series Recap: Yanks Drop Set to Tigers

Detroit, MI -- The Yankees may have the best record in baseball at 51-14 but their performance over the last three days tells a different story.

For the first time all season an opponent has taken a series from the Bronx Bombers. The Detroit Tigers dropped the second game by a score of 10-7 but had bookend comeback wins on Friday (4-3) and today (10-6). The bats have stayed healthy but a rusty bullpen is quickly becoming the glaring weakness of a team that appeared to have no soft spot to this point in the season.

But don't panic just yet. The Yankees still boast the league's best offense, defense, and sixth ranked pitching numbers.

Let's take a look at the state of the Yankees with our "Weekly Cycle" as we head into the final stretch before the All-Star break.

1. Plus-20: The Yanks lead the AL East with a silly twenty game lead over the second place Blue Jays who are only 31-35.

2. Sunday, One Day: Today's loss to the Tigers was the first "L" for New York this season on the holiest of days. New York had gone 10-0 before dropping this one. I guess even the Yanks need a rest of the seventh day as well.

3. Home Run on the Range-ers: Considering the power display put on by the likes of Curtis Dean (39) you might think New York would be running away with the team lead for longballs on the season. And if so, of course you would be wrong. The Texas Rangers actually lead all of Major League Baseball with 107 home runs with the Yankees close behind (105).

4. Deano the Bambino: Not that anyone should be shocked, but Curt Dean is still doing his usual mythic duty. Over the past ten games he's amassed a .553 batting average, smacked 21 hits, and blasted four home runs to go with 15 RBI. Here's a look at his spoils thus far in '95.

Profile Card - Curtis Dean
Curtis Dean | 1B
New York Yankees
Height: 6-2Bats/Throws: R/R
Weight: 225Age: 21 years old
SeasonGAVGHR2B3BHRRBISBOBP
CareerGAVGHR2B3BHRRBISBOBP
MLB201.4193372025931172806.474
AAA115.395189192582341250.444
AA80.3601264540420750.374

__________________________________________________ _________________________________

Peyton was glad to be relaxing in his room after a long day with family. Christmas was always stressful for him because of the pressure to act happy all of the time. Yet he always seemed to realize after the day had come to an end that he enjoyed it more than he allowed himself to accept in the midst of the togetherness.

Surprisingly enough, the family didn't talk much about Curtis during the holidays. Maybe it was because he was gone before the kids were old enough to remember much. Were they to try and memorialize their dad it would seem forced. But as Peyton skimmed over the article and laid it on his chest it never once crossed his mind that he was trying to bring his dad into Christmas. In fact, Peyton had forgotten for a moment all that had gone on that day.

Going to his dad's baseball news clippings had become his new night-time routine. The way that a college student studies and crams for a test, that was his relationship with these faded artifacts. He felt safely distant in an emotional sense and more like a spectator, like a student.

Maybe he could dig something out of these boxscores or editorial pieces that might help him discover who he is.

He was the pupil and his dad -- he hoped -- could be his teacher.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Game_Recap_Header_1.jpg (159.1 KB, 171 views)

Last edited by jmik58; 02-23-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
MVP

Bluejaysfan65's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58

June 14, 1995

Series Recap: Yanks Drop Set to Tigers

Detroit, MI -- The Yankees may have the best record in baseball at 51-14 but their performance over the last three days tells a different story.

For the first time all season an opponent has taken a series from the Bronx Bombers. The Detroit Tigers dropped the second game by a score of 10-7 but had bookend comeback wins on Friday (4-3) and today (10-6). The bats have stayed healthy but a rusty bullpen is quickly becoming the glaring weakness of a team that appeared to have no soft spot to this point in the season.

But don't panic just yet. The Yankees still boast the league's best offense, defense, and sixth ranked pitching numbers.

Let's take a look at the state of the Yankees with our "Weekly Cycle" as we head into the final stretch before the All-Star break.

1. Plus-20: The Yanks lead the AL East with a silly twenty game lead over the second place Blue Jays who are only 31-35.

2. Sunday, One Day: Today's loss to the Tigers was the first "L" for New York this season on the holiest of days. New York had gone 10-0 before dropping this one. I guess even the Yanks need a rest of the seventh day as well.

3. Home Run on the Range-ers: Considering the power display put on by the likes of Curtis Dean (39) you might think New York would be running away with the team lead for longballs on the season. And if so, of course you would be wrong. The Texas Rangers actually lead all of Major League Baseball with 107 home runs with the Yankees close behind (105).

4. Deano the Bambino: Not that anyone should be shocked, but Curt Dean is still doing his usual mythic duty. Over the past ten games he's amassed a .553 batting average, smacked 21 hits, and blasted four home runs to go with 15 RBI. Here's a look at his spoils thus far in '95.

Profile Card - Curtis Dean
Curtis Dean | 1B
New York Yankees
Height: 6-2Bats/Throws: R/R
Weight: 225Age: 21 years old
SeasonGAVGHR2B3BHRRBISBOBP
CareerGAVGHR2B3BHRRBISBOBP
MLB201.4193372025931172806.474
AAA115.395189192582341250.444
AA80.3601264540420750.374

__________________________________________________ _________________________________

Peyton was glad to be relaxing in his room after a long day with family. Christmas was always stressful for him because of the pressure to act happy all of the time. Yet he always seemed to realize after the day had come to an end that he enjoyed it more than he allowed himself to accept in the midst of the togetherness.

Surprisingly enough, the family didn't talk much about Curtis during the holidays. Maybe it was because he was gone before the kids were old enough to remember much. Were they to try and memorialize their dad it would seem forced. But as Peyton skimmed over the article and laid it on his chest it never once crossed his mind that he was trying to bring his dad into Christmas. In fact, Peyton had forgotten for a moment all that had gone on that day.

Going to his dad's baseball news clippings had become his new night-time routine. The way that a college student studies and crams for a test, that was his relationship with these faded artifacts. He felt safely distant in an emotional sense and more like a spectator, like a student.

Maybe he could dig something out of these boxscores or editorial pieces that might help him discover who he is.

He was the pupil and his dad -- he hoped -- could be his teacher.
How did you get the profile card to be able to show your career stats and not the past 10 games???
Old 02-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

I manually edited and customized the html code.

You can do it in notepad but I use a free program called "CoffeeCup Free HTML Editor." It allows a side-by-side preview so you can instantly see the result of changing the text to make sure you've changed the correct thing.

If you need any tips or help with it let me know. I'm not sure how much experience you have with html.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #8
MVP

Bluejaysfan65's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
I manually edited and customized the html code.

You can do it in notepad but I use a free program called "CoffeeCup Free HTML Editor." It allows a side-by-side preview so you can instantly see the result of changing the text to make sure you've changed the correct thing.

If you need any tips or help with it let me know. I'm not sure how much experience you have with html.
I have a bit of experience with HTML. Do I just google the program and download it or do I have to get it from a specific site???

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »