Home

In My Father's Shoes | The RTTS Career of Peyton Dean

This is a discussion on In My Father's Shoes | The RTTS Career of Peyton Dean within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 02-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #9
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: In My Father's Shoes | The RTTS Career of Peyton Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejaysfan65
I have a bit of experience with HTML. Do I just google the program and download it or do I have to get it from a specific site???
They have a website: coffeecup(dot)com

I just downloaded the free HTML editor and it works well enough for the simple changes I need to make.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #10
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

- December 30, 2012 -

Sam Cooper was a fifteen-year veteran as a scout for the Toronto Blue Jays -- regarded as one of the best evaluators of high school talent. But he had never struggled with himself so much over the potential of a player like he was with the the 2012 Kansas high school player of the year.

Up most of the night combing over scouting notes as well as old email and text conversations, Cooper hauled his binder and laptop into the office of Alex Anthopoulos. The Blue Jays general manager had a better view than the owner -- a sprawling loft-sized room with all-glass walls overlooking the Rogers Centre.

Sam shot a question at Alex as he descended to his seat. "What are the other guys giving you for our number one?"

"Eh...good to see you too Coop," Alex knew something had been bothering his normally confident top scout. "I'm kidding. The other guys have been in my ear more than normal lately so I figured you've been tied up with something."

"Ya, tied up is a good way to put it," Sam sighed and waited for Alex to answer his original question; widening his eyes and cocking his head for emphasis.

"What do your papers say we should do with the pick?" Alex nodded towards the binder Sam had put on his desk.

"Too much but nothing at the same time. I can tell you the GPA of every All-Stater in the Midwest, I know the birthdays of all their moms. Oh and that lefty from St. Charles, Missouri -- the one that throws a 95 MPH fastball -- his sister likes some show called Good Luck Misty or ...Kami.."

"Charlie," Alex corrected him.

"Huh?"

"My kids watch it. It's called Good Luck Charlie. It's...nevermind. You alright? You look like a zombie." Alex saw the genuine stress on the face of Coop.

"Personally, yeah. But I've never struggled so hard to nail down a guy in the past ten years. It's been a while since we've had a pick as high as number six -- we finally have other pieces in place. I -- we haven't had this kind of pressure in a while to get one pick perfect."

"You know I'm not trading the pick, up or down. Right?" Alex did little to lift the weight from Sam. "The top four guys are who they are, we all know that. But I'm not passing up on top-level talent even if it isn't sure-fire. We may not walk away with David Price or Bryce Harper but there's nothing wrong with someone a half-notch below that."

Sam had a streak of pride that directly conflicted with his overly analytic side. He found new ways to flip stats or skills that no one else could to project future production. But when he fell silent it was hard to read him. Was he coming up with the next great find or was he truly stumped?

"I need help with this kid." Coop flipped open his laptop, spun it around and slapped open his binder.

"Dean? Peyton Dean. Isn't that Curt's kid?" Alex knew but often lobbed softballs to his scouts to keep their confidence high. When the reports came from them it helped validate the extensive work they put in.

"Yeah, but he's nothing like him." Sam continued, "Average power -- great bat control and discipline -- solid arm, great speed like his dad."

"So what's the problem?" Alex tried again to reel Coop back in.

"I dunno. I guess I keep seeing his dad. Not literally, but I'm just afraid he comes with baggage. The kid is quiet. Like in a creepy anti-social way. He's a tough one to predict."

"You've had bad experience with those types in the past?" Alex seemed interested in what tidbits Coop might have. Learning from his scouts and growing professionally was a passion of his.

"No. That's the problem. Most of these top level guys have been told their entire lives they're the next Albert Pujols or Ricky Henderson. The ones that are humble or quiet are the Tim Tebow type. This kid is neither."

"We know he's got the genetics."

"Ya, that's the one saving grace right now. Remember how his dad matured 20 years in like six months?" Sam was starting to feel better, his mood perking up.

"Are you kidding? Everyone thought he was on something. Turns out he was the only one from the '90's that wasn't."

"That's what I see in his kid." Sam had practically convinced himself at this point. "He's physically awkward but still moves like a college junior. He's going to blow up in a big way, you think?"

"I think it's going to take a first round pick to find out -- if that's what you're getting at." Alex put Sam on the spot.

"But is he worth the sixth overall pick? That's where you get to decide." Sam had flipped it back to his boss, feeling better about his recommendation.

"I guess it's a good thing we have time left before we decide. Maybe someone will have a crazy run in college this year and we'll forget all about this Dean kid." Alex eased the tension of the moment, relaxing the stress level from Sam even more. "But what's with the computer? Did you have something to show me?"

"Just a little visual reminder if you decided to balk at my guy." Sam's computer screen lit up and Alex studied the video file begging to be played.

"Haha. Good one Coop." Alex shook his head and pressed play on the screen.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #11
MVP

joshrmlb's Arena

OVR: 9

I'm really enjoying the storylines here. Good luck, hopefully you can have success in the bigs!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #12
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrmlb
I'm really enjoying the storylines here. Good luck, hopefully you can have success in the bigs!
Thank you! I'm getting anxious for MLB 13 so I can pass the threshold, but in the meantime I'm glad you're enjoying the buildup. I do plan to continue the narrative after Peyton's career starts, touching on some of the issues already brought up, some that are yet to appear, and eventually spicing up his journey even years down the road.

With Curtis Dean I see the impact of maxing out ratings. I think I'm going to limit certain ratings for Peyton to try and frame his potential so that he doesn't become a mythical character.

I hope you follow for the duration and thanks again for the kind words.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #13
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

- Jan 19, 2013 -

The last few boxes were carried into Peyton’s dorm room. The painted concrete walls were a far cry from the two-story home he grew up in -- located on Wichita’s eastern outskirts in one of the community’s only gated communities. One of approximately 12,000 students to enroll for the spring semester, Peyton’s decision to enter college suddenly was received with mixed emotions.

“You know you guys don’t have to stick around.” Peyton attempted to sound concerned yet wasn’t up for turning the day into a spectacle for his family to blow out of proportion. “It’s not like we’re that far apart.”

His mother seemed to be the most excited about his sudden decision. She had always feared he would chase after his father and feared if he was emotionally ready for the pressure that came with it.

“Are you sure?” Kim asked her son. He nodded and she seemed to be satisfied. “Ok, well give me a call and let me know how your first day goes. Maybe once you get used to a few things you can show us around.”

“Yeah, like all the hot guys,” his sister Ashley cut in.

“Oh, stop it! You better watch yourself or you won’t be allowed on campus again,” Kim joked with her 16-year-old daughter.

“Well it seems you two have some ‘Boy Scouting’ to do so I think I’m going to relax a little with Lizzie and get things settled in.” Peyton hadn’t been able to spend much alone time with his girlfriend since announcing his choice to go to college. She still had high school classes in the spring before graduation while he had been able to graduate early.

“Alright, well I’ll talk to you guys later.” Kim grabbed her keys and headed for the door with Ashley close behind. “And Lizzie, thanks for keeping him company. He doesn’t need to be alone on his first night away from home."

“Goodbye, mom!” Peyton raised his voice in annoyance. His sister and Lizzie both giggled as his sister and mom left.

Lizzie sat down next to Peyton on his futon. Both of them were exhausted from moving him into his room, but they also knew their emotional exhaustion was weighing heavier than they wanted to admit. They had been dating for only four months but had grown fairly attached. Her life – much simpler than his to this point – had allowed her to experience many of the normal aspects of growing up. Peyton on the other hand had been a relatively shy and reserved person until he met her.

“So have you filled out your application yet?” he poked his girlfriend with a verbal jab, knowing she had already decided on her future college plans.

“You know I’m going to Lawrence. Don’t be giving me a guilt trip about how I’m deserting you here or something.” She knew he wasn’t serious but still felt bad when he brought it up.

“I guess this will be our practice, huh?” Peyton asked her.

Lizzie seemed caught off guard by the pointed question. “What do you mean? As in, us – like our short-distance relationship?”

“Yeah, I guess.”

“Are you worried or why would you just suddenly say something like that?” She seemed partially frustrated he would bring up the idea when they could instead be enjoying the moment.

“I dunno. I guess I’m just scared. You’re the best thing that’s happened to me and you know I love you.”

“And I love you too, you know that.” She stared straight into his eyes, the concern in her voice growing.

“But I’ve hurt enough and I…” he hesitated, “…I mean, it’s not that I’m always thinking about the worst-case scenario. I don’t want to be alone. I’m afraid of being hurt and alone.”

“Babe, don’t even allow yourself to go there. We both have a lot of life left to live. Whatever happens is God’s plan for us.” She always had a way of putting his mind at ease, whether she truly believed everything she said.

“I suppose you’re right. It’s just that I’ve had such much emptiness in my life and you filled it like no one else could. I feel like the only way I can protect that is to keep you close.”

“Peyton, you can’t live your life like a piece of glass. You’re so fragile. It’s what makes you so sweet and innocent, but sometime you have to realize that everyone experiences hurt. It’s part of life. You can’t hide from it or protect it.”

Something she said caught him completely off guard. It didn’t make him mad or invalidate his feelings, but her brutal honesty had a way of putting him back in the middle.

“Besides, you’ve already put yourself out there by choosing college over this professional baseball dream that everyone thinks you should chase because it fits what they want.” Lizzie had always sided with Peyton’s mother on this one – wanting him to set his own path in life.

“Well it’s still my dream. I'm going to play ball here.” He added. “I’m just taking a different path.”

“Yeah, I know. But don’t you see? You’re taking a chance by doing something different than what everyone says you should do.”

In his heart he knew he wanted to play in the majors eventually, but the recruiting calls and pressure from scouts and the agent runners always blowing up Facebook, Twitter, his cell phone – he needed a reprieve.

“I just hope I’m not doing this to spite what everyone says. What if they’re right – what if the best thing for me is to sign now.”

“Then deal with it when the time comes.” Once again, her brutal honesty had a way of settling him down.

“As long as you’re there with me,” he pressured her again indirectly.

“I’m here right now aren’t I?” she shot back quickly.

He knew the answer. But it was the near and distant future that scared him the most. Could he reach his goals and dreams without someone at his side? He needed a companion. The goal of being a professional baseball player was only half of his puzzle. If she ever left him, he wouldn’t know what to do.

Last edited by jmik58; 02-26-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #14
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

All of the gameplay videos that many of you have for your dynasties made me a little too jealous so I decided to buy an Elgato Game Capture HD to enhance things a little. I'm really glad I pulled the trigger on it after seeing the RTTS Dev Journal today as well. It should hopefully be here by Tuesday when MLB 13 The Show releases.

Any tips from those of you who use it?
Old 03-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #15
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

- February 17, 2013 -

The unseasonably mild air was a notable sign that what Peyton was doing maybe wasn't crazy -- at least he kept telling himself that. The quietness on campus helped ease his anxiety as he hauled box after box to the parking lot and stacked them quickly into the bed of his 1997 Dodge Dakota.

Doing this on a Sunday night seemed fitting. He could avoid looks from others and the shame he wore on his face. Nobody does this. Who panicks because they're homesick and backs out of college and just leaves in the middle of the night? No one normal, anyway. But he knew he was different. Socially and emotionally immature, yet wise beyond his years.

He had thought this through and knew he was making the right choice. He refused to think differently.

Each trip up to his dorm room elicited an adrenaline rush of excitement. He was making a huge life shift, correcting an error he felt he had made only a month before.

Others might question his rationale. If you hurried into college and followed the wrong advice, then how is running away from it suddenly any more logical? He knew he likely wouldn't face such questions, but it gave him an opportunity to quiet the doubt in his mind. He was always much more adept at conversing with his soul than a real face-to-face talk with a person. His introverted nature was his strength, yet a weakness at the same time.

Finally, Peyton pulled the straps down and tied the tarp over the pile of bloxes and belongings. As he turned the key and drove the truck away from campus the sense of relief rushed over him. For once he felt like he was making a decision on his own.

Sitting alone and depressed in his room he had been able to do nothing but think for the past month. He had called his mom, crying and thanking her for all she had done; realizing how important it was to have someone close. Being alone with your thoughts and no one around to confide in wasn't easy.

His emotional dive took a toll on his relationship with Lizzie as well. Perhaps scared to get too serious and settle down, she had ordered a break between the two of them. To him it felt more like breaking up and it probably was. She was too kind to do something sudden that might damage him, but he knew the bomb was coming. As painful as it was he didn't care.

Peyton needed a fresh start. He didn't want to chase a dream because of his father. He didn't want to go to college to satisfy his mom or to spite those who say he can't live up to his dad's achievements. He just wanted to be himself.

As he pulled in the driveway of his house he saw that his mom was still up. A dim light filtered out the kitchen window from a living room lamp. He had talked to her the day before and she surprisingly understood and supported his almost crazy decision.

He walked quietly through the back door, creeping past the dining room and onto the couch where his mother was reading a book.

"This is kind of funny, but I always envisioned you coming home late on a weekend when you were in high school." Kim tried to ease the stress she saw on her son's face.

"I know I let you down by being a pretty boring teenager, but I'm doing my best to spice things up now." Peyton never did lack his dry humor regardless of the situation.

His mom smiled. "Well, welcome home," her voice pitched a sincere tone. "I'll give you a hand in the morning with your stuff. Do you have any immediate plans tomorrow or do you just want to lay low?"

He paused for a moment, knowing he hadn't told his mom the entire story. "Actually I'm feeling pretty motivated. More than I have in a long time. I need to get this past me and move on."

"What are you thinking of getting a job at Bob's Food Mart?" She seemed surprised. "I thought you were just stepping back."

"Mom...I..." he paused but knew he didn't have to worry about being judged. She always made him feel safe. "I'm going to call Gary tomorrow."

"As in, Gary Ross?!" She was genuinely confused. "I mean, not that it's a bad thing but I thought you were done with this baseball thing."

"I'm not done with baseball and it's not just a thing, mom. When I told you I was leaving Wichita State, I wasn't leaving baseball. It's still my passion." A fire started to light in his eyes and he felt exhilerated as he talked. "I'm done chasing dad's dream. I'm done chasing what I think your dream for me is. I'm done making deicisions based off what other people think, whether it's to prove them wrong or right."

The room held a silence that seemed like minutes. Peyton had never expressed himself in such a way and his mother had never been more proud. No words needed to be said. He could see the ear-to-ear grin she held for him, fueling the moment even more.

"I mean, don't get me wrong mom," he continued. "I love you and need your support, but I have to do this for me. I'm not dad and don't want to be. I want to make mistakes and learn from them. I can't bring him back and this stupid box of stuff isn't going to grow me any closer to him."

He tossed the shoe box onto the coffee table in front of them. They both stared at it like a land mine that might explode if either of them breathed too heavily.

Kim turned to look at her son, wiping a tear from her cheek she grabbed the box. "I don't know why I ever kept this thing. I guess I wanted you to know who your dad is. But all you have to do is look in the mirror. You carry him with you wherever you go."

She stood up and walked towards the fireplace. Peyton joined her and put his arm around her back.

"I really miss him but when I look at you he's suddenly right here." She carefully pushed the box into the fire and wiped another tear from her cheek.

The remnants and ashes dwindled away and blended perfectly with the existing embers. Both Kim and Peyton felt a relief as the fire and smoke lifted their burden with each burning article and picture.

She turned to her son, a hand on each shoulder and looked him square in the eye. "You better get some sleep. I hear your best bet to reach Gary is to call before breakfast."

He closed in and gave his mom a hug as they both released a sigh. He headed up the stares to his room and fumbled through his dresser drawer for the paper with Gary Ross's phone number on it. The Colorado Rockies scout had convinced the club to draft Peyton in 2012 for his draft-and-follow rights in the event he backed out of his college plans.

Peyton wasn't sure how Gary would take the news or if the Rockies would still be interested, but he didn't care. He sat down on his bed, glanced at the void where the shoe box once rested beneath it, and laid back.

A tear rolled down his cheek, but something was different. It wasn't from sadness or emptiness. He had never felt more full or alive. The weight of the world had been lifted and the relief was more than he could bare. For the first time in a long time, it felt great to be home.

Last edited by jmik58; 03-04-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #16
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

- February 18, 2013 -

"Yea-ello." The voice on the other end sounded groggy.

"Yeah. Hi..uh..." Peyton hesitated. Feeling uncomfortable about calling Gary unannounced, and now it appeared as if he had woke him up. "This is Peyton Dean. Could I speak to Mr. Ross, please?"

"Well hey kid!" Gary strained his voice sounding as if he had squeeled the words in the middle of a full-body stretch. The ease in his voice helped calm Peyton's nerves.

"Sorry to call you out of the blue. Hopefully I didn't wake you up." Even though he knew he had, Peyton knew how to play the respect and humility card.

"Ah, don't worry about it. You know me, I don't sleep -- I take naps. But anyways, what's new with you?"

Peyton was glad Gary opened the door for him to get straight to the point. He was too anxious for small talk.

"Well ... I left Wichita State and I'm back home."

"Really? Is everything ok? I thought you were going to stick it out for a year and reevaluate things again." Gary sounded genuinely concerned, but not as excited as Peyton expected.

"I don't know. I was trying to please too many people, I think. I'm ready to do my thing now."

"So you're done?"

"With college, yeah."

"Jesus, Peyton. Who do you think you are, David Freese?" Gary chuckled a deep hearty laugh at the parallels between the move Dean was making. It reminded him of the home-grown St. Louis star's famous fall and ascention to Wold Series hero.

"Well, it worked pretty well for him. I don't plan to rack up a criminal record in the process though." Gary laughed again and Peyton smiled.

"Well, wow. Wow! This ... this changes things a bit. I mean, we have your rights until the June draft. I could probably get you signed to high-A. If that's what you want?"

Peyton didn't know what to say. He hadn't expected a potential offer over the phone.

"Really? That fast?" Peyton was genuinely surprised; knowing that he wouldn't take the offer and not sure how to respond.

"Well I didn't draft you for the hell of it. I knew this would be a possibility." Gary was thinking as fast as he was talking now. "Here's the thing. If we don't sign you to a deal before June, you go back into the draft. I know for a fact there are several teams that would trip over each other to take you in the first round. I mean, I realize I risked a fourth-rounder on you last year in the chance this might happen but you have to do what's best for you."

Peyton didn't know what to do or say. He certainly didn't want to offend Gary or the Rockies organization, but he wasn't ready to decide yet.

Ross cut back in. "I know that's a lot to throw on your plate right now, but you need to know your options."

Peyton really didn't want to sign with Colorado -- not after the horror stories Gary had told him about the front office and the way they toss around their younger players. He didn't want to be used as trade bait. But telling Gary wasn't going to be easy. He felt a sense of loyalty to him.

He took a deep breath and a sense of courage came over Peyton. "You know Gary. I've been doing a lot of thinking and I really need a fresh start, you know? I feel horrible to let you down and I'm always in debt to you, but..."

Gary butted in. "You care too much about what other people think. You're a nice kid, but my god Peyton -- you think I didn't know? If I was in your shoes I'd get back into the draft and get my round-one money. Besides, I'm retiring after this year."

After the previous night, Peyton didn't think he could feel any more relief -- but the sense of peace overcame him after what Gary had just said.

"You retiring?" He asked Gary. "Ya, I need to enjoy life a little with my wife before we get too old. Even old people need a fresh start sometimes."

They both chucked. "Well thanks Gary. I really didn't want to let you down and I'm glad you understand."

"Understand? I would have smacked you if you didn't hit the draft again."

"Haha, well no need to do that." Peyton was feeling full of energy. He couldn't believe how things were going.

"It's funny how life works, ain't it kid? You and I are generations apart in age. I'm heading out and you're heading in. Yet we're going through the same thing right now. Sometimes you have to take a step back, get a full head of steam, and take on life from a new perspective."

Peyton liked the thought of taking his new life path at full throttle.

"I guess we'll have to keep in touch then. See how the journey is going for each of us." Peyton responded.

"Sounds good, kid. Take care and give your mom my best. And call me anytime. In about a month I'll have all the free time in the world."

"Thanks Gary. We'll talk soon."

Last edited by jmik58; 03-05-2013 at 06:05 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »