Home

SMB 4 - OS League Interest (Ideas etc)

This is a discussion on SMB 4 - OS League Interest (Ideas etc) within the Super Mega Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Super Mega Baseball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 06-03-2023, 10:56 AM   #1
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32
Icon4 SMB 4 - OS League Interest (Ideas etc)

Would anyone be up for an OS League of sorts here?

I've been so out of wanting to play in any types of leagues, but the thought of playing in a 3 inning or 5 inning type season kind of interests me.

How many here would possibly be interested?

Maybe give it until June 12th around 9am and see where we are with any sort of interest level and go from there. Toss around league ideas etc in here as well.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2023, 03:40 PM   #2
Rookie

ClassActFan's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: SMB 4 - OS League Interest (Ideas etc)

Checking in. I posted about my interest in online leagues a couple of days ago. Thanks for posting this. I hope it garners the attention we both appear to be hoping it does!

My response: yes, yes, yes.

I still haven't fully purchased the game yet, as I have about an hour or so left on my free trial, but my direct reason for buying the game immediately revolves around a good online league with good folks. I'm mediocre at the game (much better than when I started, as it is my first SMB experience), but I enjoy playing.

Cross-play, to me, is the coolest thing about this game (and my favorite thing going in modern gaming). I love that we aren't dependent upon other people being on the same console/PC.

So I am absolutely down! A shuffle draft would be awesome (just my 2 cents).
Old 06-05-2023, 09:53 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

How do online leagues work in this game? Is it a schedule? Or is it like Pennant Race with random opponents?
Old 06-05-2023, 10:49 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 0

I have not touched it this year, but the league I played in with SMB3 had an asynchronous schedule. You have a list of games to play, and you have X many days to get your games in.

I really recommend playing a some Pennant Chase to get a feel for your ego, which the mode sets for you. Each team sets their own ego. Online gameplay is excellent, but it is also a different beast.

The nice part is, the gameplay is so dialed in that that aggressive gameplay can go either way. You won’t improve in Pennant Race unless you can pitch and keep an eye on your runners. And while running wild can overwhelm newer players, it also makes you super easy to bait a player into an easy pickoff.

Pennant Chase works because in general, you have to learn all this stuff to win enough to move up, as you opponents do. It can be humiliating, as I got absolutely mercy ruled in two innings in each of my first two to games. But then I mercy ruled someone in two innings. It wasn’t until my fourth game that I had a great 5 inning matchup that I won 8-6 after going down 3-0, then up 8-3.

Early on, you will face guys that play at 90 ego and guys that play on 30 ego. But over time, the game does a great job of sorting folks by their egos and most games become great.
Old 06-12-2023, 10:03 AM   #5

Fiddy's Arena

Welp, only 4 of us. Which is sad, but expected. Oh well!

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2023, 07:28 PM   #6
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Welp, only 4 of us. Which is sad, but expected. Oh well!
I'm interested, but the one time that I tried to do an online league I found my schedule never worked out against others.

I also haven't played a sports game online in over 15 years. Watching people play The Show online just looks dreadful, from the lagtastic moments to the cheesers and quitters.

I know this would be a different experience, but it turned me away so much that I never found it to be particularly pleasing.

It is sad how little the OS community has seemingly shrunk, though. I don't just mean with this game.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 06-13-2023, 02:01 AM   #7
Rookie

ClassActFan's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
It is sad how little the OS community has seemingly shrunk, though. I don't just mean with this game.
Forums in general, really, man. I remember between 2002 or 2003-ish through 2005 I would go between OS and the IGN sports video game subforums to talk or read (as is the case here before I finally created my account way back in '05) about these games. So much activity. Then the social media storm began, I reckon.

Reddit is popular, but I really dislike the comment thread system where it becomes an echo chamber of what gets upvoted or downvoted.

Not meaning to get off-topic here. Sorry. Speaking of Reddit, I also tried asking about online league interest there but minimal interest on that front as well, unfortunately.

It wouldn't be so bad if at least we could comprise a league of users AND CPU teams to flesh out the league, but that doesn't seem to be an option.
Old 06-13-2023, 09:10 AM   #8

Fiddy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Yeah, as said above its forums in general. Discords, Reddit, etc took over years ago.

Wish there was someway that we could get this place bumping again!

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Super Mega Baseball »