Home

Crazy Unranked Prospects

This is a discussion on Crazy Unranked Prospects within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-04-2024, 02:47 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Crazy Unranked Prospects

I have a guy scouted 100%:

22 YO CF with 74-79 OVR and 80-85 POT. Looks to be a really solid prospect and my scouts have him ranked #13 in the class. But his MLB draft rank is NR!

What do I do with this guy?!

I'm playing as the Guardians so I'm not going to take him at #1 overall but do I need to take him at #35 to make sure I get him? Will other teams have this guy scouted and know he's good? Or will he fall into the late rounds because he's under the radar?

If anyone has any experience with a similar situation, I'd love to know how the CPU handles it so I can try to make sure I snag him. I would be happy to take him at #35 but there are two good 3Bs I'm looking at in that range and I want to know if I can get greedy and wait on him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2024, 02:53 PM   #2
Where is A-Aron

bspring3's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Crazy Unranked Prospects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackrel829

I'm playing as the Guardians so I'm not going to take him at #1 overall but do I need to take him at #35 to make sure I get him? Will other teams have this guy scouted and know he's good? Or will he fall into the late rounds because he's under the radar?

If anyone has any experience with a similar situation, I'd love to know how the CPU handles it so I can try to make sure I snag him. I would be happy to take him at #35 but there are two good 3Bs I'm looking at in that range and I want to know if I can get greedy and wait on him.

From my experience, he will be gone by 35 despite his MLb rank. CPU does a much better job of also finding those diamonds in the rough. If he does happen to be there, I would not bet on him lasting to your next pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-04-2024, 03:45 PM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspring3
From my experience, he will be gone by 35 despite his MLb rank. CPU does a much better job of also finding those diamonds in the rough. If he does happen to be there, I would not bet on him lasting to your next pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Damn that's such a shame! Now I guess I'll have an even harder decision to make at #35 if both of the 3Bs fall.
Old 04-04-2024, 04:06 PM   #4
Pro

mattynokes's Arena

OVR: 16

I'm simming out into the future in my Franchise. I've drafted in the few years leading up to when I plan on starting to play. I've seen drafts where the players go relatively as expected by their MLB ranking. I've seen others where the CPU is very keen on the hidden gems. In fact, no Top 3 MLB ranked players were taken in the first three picks of my last draft.

I had a toss up on which CF prospects that I wanted ( [75-95 Potential/47-62 Overall 18 year old] OR [77-85 Potential/71-80 Overall 21 year old] ). I decided to queue up the 18 year old as my first choice. The 21 year old ended up going a few slots after my pick and turned out to be rated 79 (with 90+ contact vs RHP) with an 84 Potential. While my 18 year old ended up with a high 80s potential and I'm very satisfied with the pick, in hindsight I'd have preferred the 21 year old with his instant impact ability.
Old 04-04-2024, 05:41 PM   #5
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

The CPU drafts much smarter than in the past. The CPU GMs see the same things we see.

I have 2 recommendations. One pure and one a bit cheesy.

The pure: If you see a player and you want him, take him. Branching off of this, check the potentials for all of his attributes to see what they may end up as. The more that are higher than average, the better they will be and the more informed you will be. Also the more likely one of the CPU teams recognized his potential.

The cheesy: Make sure auto save is off. Pick random players and simulate the draft to see where the player you want lands. Find where they were drafted. Now you know how the CPU values him. Exit the game without saving and reload and run the draft. You can draft him the round before he gets taken and boom. Again, cheesy and I would not recommend this as it ruins the fun and surprise but you could do it. Your call.

Currently Playing:

Stardew Valley (PC)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment

Last edited by Funkycorm; 04-04-2024 at 05:43 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2024, 02:44 AM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkycorm
The CPU drafts much smarter than in the past. The CPU GMs see the same things we see.

I have 2 recommendations. One pure and one a bit cheesy.

The pure: If you see a player and you want him, take him. Branching off of this, check the potentials for all of his attributes to see what they may end up as. The more that are higher than average, the better they will be and the more informed you will be. Also the more likely one of the CPU teams recognized his potential.

The cheesy: Make sure auto save is off. Pick random players and simulate the draft to see where the player you want lands. Find where they were drafted. Now you know how the CPU values him. Exit the game without saving and reload and run the draft. You can draft him the round before he gets taken and boom. Again, cheesy and I would not recommend this as it ruins the fun and surprise but you could do it. Your call.
Haha nice idea! I think I’ll just see how it plays out and he’ll be amongst the possible players I take at #35. Part of the fun I find in these games is keeping things as realistic as possible and it’s fun to have to make a decision like that.

I appreciate the info!
Old 04-05-2024, 03:54 PM   #7
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackrel829
Haha nice idea! I think I’ll just see how it plays out and he’ll be amongst the possible players I take at #35. Part of the fun I find in these games is keeping things as realistic as possible and it’s fun to have to make a decision like that.

I appreciate the info!
Like I said I would much rather do it the real way. Take the risk of either waiting and hoping he is there or take him early. If I take the risk and wait and he is gone, I go to my next choice and watch his career with much interest and compare him long term and see if I was right or wrong.

And yeah, there are no do overs in real life, so there won't be in my draft.

Currently Playing:

Stardew Valley (PC)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment
Old 04-06-2024, 06:16 AM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkycorm
Like I said I would much rather do it the real way. Take the risk of either waiting and hoping he is there or take him early. If I take the risk and wait and he is gone, I go to my next choice and watch his career with much interest and compare him long term and see if I was right or wrong.

And yeah, there are no do overs in real life, so there won't be in my draft.
He ended up going at #11 so I had no real shot at him because he didn’t have high enough potential to justify taking him at #1.

Pretty cool how it played out though. I don’t love the scouting process in The Show but the drafts seem to play out as realistically an unpredictably as in any other sports game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »