View Single Post
Old 04-10-2024, 07:59 PM   #493
Blzer
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: When Will The Official Reveal Happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
Disagree with the first part of this, having bad players and having to play to your teams strengths whiles mitigating the weaknesses was a breath of fresh air.

One of my biggest gripes with current football games is every team feels exactly the same, every player that isn’t rated in the 90s feels exactly the same.

There is no need for depth, a 60 rated left tackle and a 70 rated tackle play exactly the same.

I loved having say a pass blocking offense line that struggled vs the run, or a balanced secondary who was serviceable at coverage and run support but not great at either, it just lead to so much replayability.

Not to mention the other later of strategy it added, have a bad secondary? Better make sure you have a good front 4 that can get after the qb, want to spend your star players on the secondary? Cool but I hope they can cover forever because you aren’t going to get a pass rush, so you better be bringing extra guys on the blitz.
My point was more like I had no reason to throw to my generic TE because he would just drop the passes half the time, whilst if I have Jerry Rice he's going to one-hand catch all day and take it to the house against their scrub CB.

I didn't like that there weren't "diamond in the rough" generic players to round out the legends, and that the legends had to have colored stars underneath them to stand out from the rest of the bunch so I know who to target, who to avoid, etc. If they were treated more the same on the field (not balanced by ability, but balanced by perceived opportunity), then it would make those generics feel more special as a whole.

And like I said, this game wouldn't have had an answer for a franchise mode if legends would eventually retire and every new player would be rated sub-70. I'm sure a future title could respond to that just fine, but their system at the time wasn't having any of it. The only good players were legends.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60