Old 03-01-2024, 12:45 AM   #301
C.J.S.
graphic artist

C.J.S.'s Arena

OVR: 2
Re: EA Sports PGA TOUR Impressions (PC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
EA games in a nutshell - looks pretty (in still photos), but you quickly come to realize the coat of paint is about 0.00001mm thick and beneath it is a pretty clunky rust-bucket.

I put a lot of hours into the game so I can't say I haven't gotten my money's worth, but at least 1/3 of the time was trying to figure out how to make the game reasonably close to what I want. After a season or two of career mode, though, there's not much left to do with the game, since I don't play online.

100%. All EA games devolve to this state quickly, unfortunately. It's like your inputs only kind of matter to the ultimate outcome, and mostly you're just watching stuff happen.

I don't mind some variability built into the shots, but it should be tune-able, and honestly, I'd just rather the game's swing mechanism were accurate and complex enough to not need to build in randomized outcomes, but rather have the ability to reflect a much wider array of mis-hits/off-center hits than the game currently does. The core problem is that the swing mechanism is very close to binary at the moment (even moreso with the analog stick swing, amazingly), which is to say there are really only 2 outcomes: a perfectly hit shot or a right/left mis-hit. There should be a much broader range of "mis-hit", from slightly off-plane / off-tempo (resulting in slighter mis-hits), to significantly off-plane/off-center, which high-face-mis-hits causing pop-flies and low-face-mis-hits causing worm-burners, etc. etc. and everything in between.

We're allegedly in this ultra-modern next-gen gaming environment, yet other than the graphics being (slightly) better, the game mechanisms haven't moved an inch beyond where we were in the 1980's (e.g. 3-click swings and "analog" swings that are less precise than 3-click).
this is because in game development the real genius is new ways to interact with it. what kills me is the developers don't even know what's better, TW 08 and Perfect Golf have the best idea on this but they don't realize it. Making sports games number one rule should be how to make the gamer get more control over the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove