Old 07-28-2015, 11:35 PM   #15
Matt10
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Dynasty Reporting

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesportsguru11
Awesome stuff cheese. I wish I could've read this a year ago when I followed none of these rules haha.

Anywho, as someone who has gone from a nobody to somebody in a matter of 7 months, I have some advice, if you don't mind.

Like Matt said, Be Innovative/Creative. That is the biggest way to keep your readers interested. Do things that no one else is trying (example, make your pictures in gif/slideshow format, as I've done.) LopaKa and someone else, whose name escapes me, are the only ones I've ever seen do this aside from myself. I took Lop's idea (the other one came after mine started) and tweaked it to what I could do and made it work for me (massive thanks for the inspiration, bud!)

Create-A-Coach is another something I've never seen anyone do before I implemented it (not to say it hasn't been done...I'm willing to bet it has somewhere, I just haven't seen it yet.)

Point is, there's always new things to try with the depth these dynasty modes and franchise/owner modes can provide, not to mention the number of graphic programs out today and technology available to you. Find something unique and roll with it.

Trying out different things in your first reports can lead to long-term success. Find something you like and make it work! Just don't make it so complicated and time-consuming it becomes a chore. The minute that happens, the minute you burn out.

Lastly, people love a long report (as in, multiple seasons, something to read before bed for a lot of nights). As cheese mentioned, you need to put aside the fact that no one may be watching and enjoy what you're doing for yourself before worrying about going big. Because the fact of the matter is, and beast10 touched upon this, there are folks watching, even if silently.

If you get 5/6 seasons in, I am certain people will find reason to start reading, no matter what team/sport.

With that said, good luck and happy chisin'!
These are all great points, you've definitely found your form by accomplishing those concepts and execution.

I will say the gif thing was done by yours truly back in the day

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...&postcount=294

And then most recently

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...9&postcount=16

I am not proud of too much in this world, but contributions to the dynasty reporting scene has been something i've held dear because it was always my virtual identity. I obsessed over templates and reporting deliveries. I tried so many different ways to do things that now, almost 15 years later, it's second nature. The reporting text posted as images was my finding to skip HTML and just screenshot websites and how they looked, onto dynasty reports. The ESPN graphics and all that came shortly afterwards to enhance the visuals and presentation. I'm not saying everyone copied me, but it was an indirect trend that I started way back on MM, MN days. It's sad that I am still proud of something I started when I was a teenager and now in my 30's

The part that I have struggled with is getting games to play how I want them. NCAA 14 is back to where I want it, and that's why that is the only real game I can play right now next to FIFA. That and these kids costing all my hard earnings :P
Advertisements - Register to remove