superjames1992
Hall Of Fame

superjames1992's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: The 2008 Most Overrated Players Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe111
Patrick White

Easily one of the top five most overrated players in the nation. He might as well line up as a running back. Career stats: 35 passing touchdowns, 39 rushing touchdowns. His career high in passing yards in a game is 222 in a game where his team was down so he was forced to pass. He's never thrown for 1,800 yards in a season or thrown for even 15 touchdowns. His career high for touchdowns pass in a game is 2.

Granted he does explosive things with his legs but all a team has to do is slow his legs down. Force him to pass (Louisville did it in 2006, Pittsburgh last year) and the kid can't do anything. This season West Virginia looses Steve Slaton, there workhorse for the last 3 seasons, and replace him with a lightweight in Noel Divine. One thing Slaton could do is run through people a thing Divine will have trouble with. And without Owen Schmidt look for this team to lose that element to there game and look for White to carry the offensive load this season. White won't be able to do it and look for a lot less explosive West Virginia team this season. Look at White to crumble under the stress and this team will collapse
Ah, I'm sure you don't like WVU you Marshall fan!

I think Pat White is one of the most valuable players on his team in the nation. Look at what happened last year when he was injured (Pitt and USF). Granted, I can blame a lot of that on Rodriguez's stubborn play calling because Jarrett Brown does not have quite the blazing speed as White (though he still run pretty well), but still. White was the reason WVU won the Fiesta Bowl.

White has lost exactly one game in which he was not injured, that game being against Louisville in 2006, though Slaton was injured and had two fumbles in that one. He was injured in 2006 against USF and though he played quite a bit in that one, his ability to run was gone. He was injured for both the Pitt and USF games in 2006. He has a 28-4 record overall as a starter, but when he is healthy, his record is 28-1. That's pretty darn good if I'd say so myself.