Home

The 2008 Most Overrated Players Thread

This is a discussion on The 2008 Most Overrated Players Thread within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 07-30-2008, 12:24 AM   #25
Rookie

Jobe111's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: The 2008 Most Overrated Players Thread

Patrick White

Easily one of the top five most overrated players in the nation. He might as well line up as a running back. Career stats: 35 passing touchdowns, 39 rushing touchdowns. His career high in passing yards in a game is 222 in a game where his team was down so he was forced to pass. He's never thrown for 1,800 yards in a season or thrown for even 15 touchdowns. His career high for touchdowns pass in a game is 2.

Granted he does explosive things with his legs but all a team has to do is slow his legs down. Force him to pass (Louisville did it in 2006, Pittsburgh last year) and the kid can't do anything. This season West Virginia looses Steve Slaton, there workhorse for the last 3 seasons, and replace him with a lightweight in Noel Divine. One thing Slaton could do is run through people a thing Divine will have trouble with. And without Owen Schmidt look for this team to lose that element to there game and look for White to carry the offensive load this season. White won't be able to do it and look for a lot less explosive West Virginia team this season. Look at White to crumble under the stress and this team will collapse

We just wait for our turn to speak.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2008, 12:58 AM   #26
Hall Of Fame

superjames1992's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe111
Patrick White

Easily one of the top five most overrated players in the nation. He might as well line up as a running back. Career stats: 35 passing touchdowns, 39 rushing touchdowns. His career high in passing yards in a game is 222 in a game where his team was down so he was forced to pass. He's never thrown for 1,800 yards in a season or thrown for even 15 touchdowns. His career high for touchdowns pass in a game is 2.

Granted he does explosive things with his legs but all a team has to do is slow his legs down. Force him to pass (Louisville did it in 2006, Pittsburgh last year) and the kid can't do anything. This season West Virginia looses Steve Slaton, there workhorse for the last 3 seasons, and replace him with a lightweight in Noel Divine. One thing Slaton could do is run through people a thing Divine will have trouble with. And without Owen Schmidt look for this team to lose that element to there game and look for White to carry the offensive load this season. White won't be able to do it and look for a lot less explosive West Virginia team this season. Look at White to crumble under the stress and this team will collapse
Ah, I'm sure you don't like WVU you Marshall fan!

I think Pat White is one of the most valuable players on his team in the nation. Look at what happened last year when he was injured (Pitt and USF). Granted, I can blame a lot of that on Rodriguez's stubborn play calling because Jarrett Brown does not have quite the blazing speed as White (though he still run pretty well), but still. White was the reason WVU won the Fiesta Bowl.

White has lost exactly one game in which he was not injured, that game being against Louisville in 2006, though Slaton was injured and had two fumbles in that one. He was injured in 2006 against USF and though he played quite a bit in that one, his ability to run was gone. He was injured for both the Pitt and USF games in 2006. He has a 28-4 record overall as a starter, but when he is healthy, his record is 28-1. That's pretty darn good if I'd say so myself.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:18 AM   #27
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjames1992
I think Pat White is one of the most valuable players on his team in the nation.
I never would have guessed.

Quote:
Look at what happened last year when he was injured (Pitt and USF).
They started scoring?

In the USF game, WVU's offense up to White's injury had contributed 7 points to USF. Once he was injured, WVU scored 13.

In the Pitt game, White's offense scored 0 points. Without him, they scored 7.

Sounds like a bad case of Loser's Limp to me.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:25 AM   #28
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjames1992
Ah, I'm sure you don't like WVU you Marshall fan!

I think Pat White is one of the most valuable players on his team in the nation. Look at what happened last year when he was injured (Pitt and USF). Granted, I can blame a lot of that on Rodriguez's stubborn play calling because Jarrett Brown does not have quite the blazing speed as White (though he still run pretty well), but still. White was the reason WVU won the Fiesta Bowl.

White has lost exactly one game in which he was not injured, that game being against Louisville in 2006, though Slaton was injured and had two fumbles in that one. He was injured in 2006 against USF and though he played quite a bit in that one, his ability to run was gone. He was injured for both the Pitt and USF games in 2006. He has a 28-4 record overall as a starter, but when he is healthy, his record is 28-1. That's pretty darn good if I'd say so myself.
Which is funny coming from you. After you ragged on Oregon for not being that good after losing Dennis Dixon, you then went on to say how WVU could lose White (and several other players) and it would hardly affect them, and they would keep winning.

So which is it?
Old 07-30-2008, 02:52 AM   #29
B**m*r S**n*r!

BigDofBA's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Which is funny coming from you. After you ragged on Oregon for not being that good after losing Dennis Dixon, you then went on to say how WVU could lose White (and several other players) and it would hardly affect them, and they would keep winning.

So which is it?
LMAO.

Crabtree isn't overrated. Whoever said that was just making an assumption based on the team he plays for. Trust me, this dude is talented. Tech spreads the ball around too. It's not like the whole playbook is designed around him.

Sam Bradford is overrated. I doubt he will have the season he had last year. He had a a great line, two NFL recievers, and one of if not the best tight end in the nation. Don't get me wrong, Sam is a solid QB and I'm glad he is leading OU, I just don't think he is as good as everyone thinks.

This "is" a case where stats can be misleading. There were a lot of throws by Bradford that should of been touchdowns last year but instead they were underthrown or overthrown. Malcolm Kelley and Jermain Gresham are great at making adjustments and coming down with the ball. Also, many of his passes were short passes with lots of YAC.

Bradford is very solid and he has it mentally but I just don't think he is a pro prospect or a Heisman contender.
NFL - Dallas Cowboys
NBA - Oklahoma City Thunder
Old 07-30-2008, 02:57 AM   #30
Pro

nightcreeper's Arena

OVR: 9

terell pryor hes already getting hyped and he hasnt even played on the field yet lol
Old 07-30-2008, 02:58 AM   #31
B**m*r S**n*r!

BigDofBA's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcreeper
terell pryor hes already getting hyped and he hasnt even played on the field yet lol
That usually happens when you're the #1 recruit in the nation.
NFL - Dallas Cowboys
NBA - Oklahoma City Thunder
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2008, 03:25 AM   #32
Hall Of Fame

superjames1992's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83

So which is it?
I still think WVU would do well without White, but not at the same caliber. I'm thinking along the lines of 8-4 or 9-3 or so, much like they did under Rasheed Marshall. They'd have a chance at a Big East Title, but they wouldn't be nearly unanimous picks to win the Big East.

However, now that the boneheaded playcaller Rich Rodriguez is gone, I don't think it will have as much as an effect. Jarrett Brown is a very underrated quarterback, but could not bloosom under Rich's system. He's no Pat White, but he's a much better passer than White is. He doesn't have quite the speed, but he's a much better passer.

Still, without White, WVU wouldn't have three consecutive 11 win seasons.

I was ragging on Oregon because they lost three games in a row. They looked horrible. Then they destroyed USF, though Jonathan Stewart went wild in that game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »