Home

2019-20 UEFA Competitions Thread

This is a discussion on 2019-20 UEFA Competitions Thread within the Pro Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Pro Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2019, 11:43 AM   #49
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: 2019-20 UEFA Competitions Thread

FWIW, Dale Johnson from ESPNFC claimed this today.

"Been informed that Roberto Rosetti, UEFA Chief Refereeing Officer, briefed before the Super Cup that goalkeepers will only be penalised by VAR for leaving line if it's a blatant and clear violation of new law."

Would've been nice to know. Wonder if even the players know what's going on with all the VAR rules...
Old 08-15-2019, 11:45 AM   #50
MVP

Brahvocado's Arena

OVR: 0

That just makes it more confusing tbh lol.

If you are required to keep one foot on the line, wouldn’t taking your foot off the line be a clear and blatant violation?
Old 08-15-2019, 12:15 PM   #51
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

I’m sure the players get briefed like the NFL does on rule changes but damn they make it hard to understand their own rules sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2019, 12:33 PM   #52
is looking at stats.

Krebstar's Arena

OVR: 15

I hope encroachment is watched more closely than keepers coming off their line. I know a keeper coming off their line to a ridiculous degree can help stop a goal, but defenders encroaching and being in the perfect position to stop a rebound shot is, to me, a bigger issue.

And no, not because it happened in the Spurs v Arsenal match last year, although it was an incredible example of why it's an issue. It's easy to be a super defender clearing a ball from the box after a penalty when you're almost to the penalty taker before they kick the ball.

Yeah, not bitter about that at all...
Old 08-15-2019, 12:45 PM   #53
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krebstar
I hope encroachment is watched more closely than keepers coming off their line. I know a keeper coming off their line to a ridiculous degree can help stop a goal, but defenders encroaching and being in the perfect position to stop a rebound shot is, to me, a bigger issue.

And no, not because it happened in the Spurs v Arsenal match last year, although it was an incredible example of why it's an issue. It's easy to be a super defender clearing a ball from the box after a penalty when you're almost to the penalty taker before they kick the ball.

Yeah, not bitter about that at all...

The frequency of that happening though Kreb is much less than a keeper coming off his line.

No salt here but along with the encroachment, they should really make them retake 'em when the penalty kicker stutters at the end. It's almost impossible for a keeper to stay on his/her line when they do that.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:49 PM   #54

Suntan Superman's Arena

OVR: 11

All I ask for is consistency. As long as we're consistent, I won't find much reason to complain.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:16 PM   #55
MVP

Brahvocado's Arena

OVR: 0

I don't really have a problem with the stutter tbh. It's a tactical part of penalties and would take away from that a bit if players weren't allowed to.

Just going to point this out again, because the subject of fairness is quite often brought up in regards to keepers in penalty situations: penalties are not supposed to be fair, especially to the keeper. It is a free shot on goal to restore an advantage that was UNFAIRLY taken from the attacking team. We shouldn't be THAT concerned with how fair penalties are towards keepers, because it doesn't matter. The keeper's team messed up and the penalty is a consequence of that action.

Wrongly awarded penalties are obviously a different issue, but the original intent of a penalty is to restore a lost advantage. This is why I've always hated the complaints about red cards + penalties and the player being "punished twice" being wrong and unfair. They aren't punished twice. The red card is for the foul, the penalty is because the player was about to have a shot on goal and the defending team illegally took that opportunity away. Two punishments for two separate infractions.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2019, 03:44 PM   #56
is looking at stats.

Krebstar's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahvocado
I don't really have a problem with the stutter tbh. It's a tactical part of penalties and would take away from that a bit if players weren't allowed to.

Just going to point this out again, because the subject of fairness is quite often brought up in regards to keepers in penalty situations: penalties are not supposed to be fair, especially to the keeper. It is a free shot on goal to restore an advantage that was UNFAIRLY taken from the attacking team. We shouldn't be THAT concerned with how fair penalties are towards keepers, because it doesn't matter. The keeper's team messed up and the penalty is a consequence of that action.

Wrongly awarded penalties are obviously a different issue, but the original intent of a penalty is to restore a lost advantage. This is why I've always hated the complaints about red cards + penalties and the player being "punished twice" being wrong and unfair. They aren't punished twice. The red card is for the foul, the penalty is because the player was about to have a shot on goal and the defending team illegally took that opportunity away. Two punishments for two separate infractions.
My issue with that (slippery slope) is that we're no longer to the point of penalties mostly being given which denied a clear goal-scoring opportunity. Contact in the box is now a penalty as it's basically deemed a foul. There are so many penalties given that are insanely soft and were hardly at all a lost advantage.

A player feeling a toe on the calf and going down as him and an opponent both stretched for a ball is an entirely different discussion in regards to lost advantage compared to literally being brought down in the box by your opponent's momentum.

I'd argue that a penalty kick on its own before you even consider the runup is a massive advantage that is being given/restored because it should be put away easily by a professional. If players were better at taking penalties, there would be less concern for keepers coming off the line and encroachment.

Players trying to do too much or be too clever or just not practicing taking those kicks enough causes saves just as much as keepers coming out early. So, penalties are missed, and we know it should be easy so we start to look for reasons why and well it must be those damn keepers moving early and not players taking the easy opportunity they've been given to score.

I think telling a keeper they must stay on their line and telling the taker they must move forward and strike the ball resets whatever advantage was lost by the attacking team, as the penalty taker still has an incredibly massive advantage in the situation.

Last edited by Krebstar; 08-15-2019 at 03:47 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Pro Soccer »