Home

***The Official Arsenal Gunners" Thread***

This is a discussion on ***The Official Arsenal Gunners" Thread*** within the Pro Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Pro Soccer
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-10-2009, 06:42 PM   #841
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: ***The Official Arsenal "Gunners" Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUglyOrgan
I don't think Fabregas is going anywhere this season. They've said they will not break the bank to bring him in, and I think thats what it would take. They way they're talking about it reminds me far too much of Madrid, which just shows Barca are changing their tune about spending big, etc.
I can't post it because there are language issues, but today's Arseblog has a hilarious description of what our response to Barca should be.

http://www.oleole.com/blogs/arseblog
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2009, 08:47 PM   #842
is looking at stats.

Krebstar's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnomar05
I can't post it because there are language issues, but today's Arseblog has a hilarious description of what our response to Barca should be.

http://www.oleole.com/blogs/arseblog
That had me laughing on my way to work this morning.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #843
Rookie

iLukeisamazing's Arena

OVR: 5

Cesc won't come this year, sadly. It will be next summer, and he will come for sure.
Atlanta Falcons
Atlanta Hawks
Old 08-13-2009, 03:59 PM   #844
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Not sure how many have been reading Bobby McMahon's team-by-team EPL season preview this week (four teams per day), but today he covered Arsenal:

Quote:
Past performances: 1st, 2nd, 4th, 4th, 3rd, 4th
Rear View Mirror: Scored more away goals last season than any other Premier League team — 37.
Top scorer last season: Robin van Persie 11
Front door: Thomas Vermaelen
Back door: Emmanuel Adebayor, Kolo Toure, Amaury Bischoff, Rui Fonte, Fran Merida (loan)
Win the title? 8/1
Fire the Manager! Arsene Wenger 25/1

Synopsis: In sharing my forecast for Arsenal with colleagues I have been accused of (a) ingesting illegal substances, (b) drinking water with mind altering properties and (c) having just plain lost it.

Admittedly it is a prediction that is made without strong conviction, but frankly I cannot believe the herd mentality that has already written off Arsenal not only as possible contenders, but as a top four team.

The merchants of doom seem to be basing much of their case on Arsenal's inexperience and Wenger's reticence to bring in a couple of key players. I would contend that it is Arsenal's youth that makes such a compelling case for the team to improve this season rather than going in to reverse. After all, this is a side that improved markedly over the course of last season.

Admittedly 14 games into the season is an arbitrary mark, but that proved to be Arsenal's darkest hour last season. At that stage Liverpool and Chelsea each had 33 points (puts Scolari's early returns in a different perspective as well perhaps?), Manchester United 28 and Arsenal 23. Everton at that point had 19 points and Villa 24.

Over the remaining 24 games Arsenal and Liverpool only lost one game apiece, although they did rack up ten and eight draws, respectively. Points-wise United steamrolled their way to another 62 points, Liverpool 53, Chelsea 51, Arsenal, 49, Everton 44 and Villa 38. Was this the performance of a side in terminal decline?

If (a) Eduardo stays injury free, (b) Arshavin builds on an impressive second half of the season and (c) Wenger picks up an experienced (and top class) defender and a midfielder before the end of August, then some folks might make a tidy profit at odds of 8/1.

Season's narrative: Arsene Wenger, genius or cheapskate?

Prediction: 1st

Hard to believe, eh? So what do you think? Is he on the drugs, or could weakened rivals and a few lucky breaks see the Arsenal hoist the trophy?
Old 08-13-2009, 07:35 PM   #845
We Spent Some Money!

ZM Punk's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Not sure how many have been reading Bobby McMahon's team-by-team EPL season preview this week (four teams per day), but today he covered Arsenal:

Hard to believe, eh? So what do you think? Is he on the drugs, or could weakened rivals and a few lucky breaks see the Arsenal hoist the trophy?
We have to bring in another player or two. But if we do it wouldn't surprise me in the least. I think the PL is down as a whole and think this is the beginning of the shift of power going back to Spain. When it comes to league superiority.

Do I think we finish first? No.

Would it surprise me if we did? No.

Adolphus Washington-Ohio State Freshman
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2009, 09:12 PM   #846
Rookie

iLukeisamazing's Arena

No chance for Arsenal. None. They are on the verge of falling out of CL contention with Everton and Man City making strides.
Atlanta Falcons
Atlanta Hawks
Old 08-13-2009, 10:08 PM   #847
MVP

Perceptor's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLukeisamazing
No chance for Arsenal. None. They are on the verge of falling out of CL contention with Everton and Man City making strides.
I wouldn't say that. Let's be realistic about them.

Everton - making strides? They're on the verge of losing Lescott and Jagielka is already out. They are good for sure, but not as goo overall as Arsenal

Man City - They spent a lot of money yes, but who did they get? Barry was a solid pickup, Adebayor was awful last season and his inconsistency will test the patience of fan as he did in Arsenal. Tevez works hard, but is overrated IMHO. Which leaves us with Toure - he was good 2-3 years ago but he is not the same player anymore.

To me, City have a weird team - too many forwards and the're spending elite money on not so elite players. They ca be good, but they still lack the other top 4 teams' well-rounded squads as a whole.

I read McMahon's predictions and I would love it if he was right. We will see, but people should count out Arsenal at their peril.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:14 PM   #848
Rookie

iLukeisamazing's Arena

About Man City. In Spain Man City wouldn't be able to compete because they have no holding MF, but in the EPL, it doesn't really matter that much. I'm not saying they will for sure win anything, but they are a team that can score a lot.

Arsenal has lost too much. I might be wrong. I like Arsenal (I love RVP and Cesc), but I just don't see it.
Atlanta Falcons
Atlanta Hawks

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Pro Soccer »