Home

NHL 2021 Offseason

This is a discussion on NHL 2021 Offseason within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-17-2021, 11:39 PM   #129
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: NHL 2021 Offseason

Honestly I don't think any of the fixing really happened until 2015 when the Shanaplan begun. Fletcher/Burke/Nonis left a lot of garbage in their wake that had to be cleaned up. JFJ didn't exactly leave the pantry stocked, but there wasn't any mess that needed to be cleaned up.

No doubt the current FO structures of all three Toronto teams are the best they've been since the nineties.
Old 09-18-2021, 03:42 PM   #130

Majingir's Arena

Talk about coming full circle. Chara to the Islanders.

Which is a perfect time to remember the last time he was an Islander. They traded him AND a 1st for Yashin. I mean sure, Yashin was a 40-40 guy with the Sens and never got 40 goals once in NY, but like the Kessel deal, how did it make sense for a bottom feeding team to deal a 1st (especially since this was after the fact, so Islanders knew it was the #2 pick) for Yashin?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnk
Honestly I don't think any of the fixing really happened until 2015 when the Shanaplan begun. Fletcher/Burke/Nonis left a lot of garbage in their wake that had to be cleaned up. JFJ didn't exactly leave the pantry stocked, but there wasn't any mess that needed to be cleaned up.

No doubt the current FO structures of all three Toronto teams are the best they've been since the nineties.
Team might not have been great, but I liked the Kessel/Phaneuf era more than others probably did. Team still sucked, but they at least had some guys to build around. Kessel deal never should have happened though. Nothing wrong with the kind of deal made, but the fact that you're a bottom feeding team dealing an unprotected 1st as part of the deal made no sense. The same package but from a 9 seed, that would be perfectly fine as Kessel would've tipped the scales and made them a playoff team.
Old 09-18-2021, 09:15 PM   #131
All Star

rdnk's Arena

I think Burke honestly thought the team was a bubble team, which is why he made the deal. Two mid 1sts for an early 20s Kessel is much more reasonable. Unfortunately, most of his FA signings and trades were busts that offseason.

Yeah and that #2 ended up being Jason Spezza.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2021, 10:11 PM   #132
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
I think Burke honestly thought the team was a bubble team, which is why he made the deal. Two mid 1sts for an early 20s Kessel is much more reasonable. Unfortunately, most of his FA signings and trades were busts that offseason.

Burke also had a major boner for American players.
Remember Mike Komisarek?
Or how about Tyler Biggs?
They traded what turned out to be Josh Gibson and Rickard Rakell for Biggs.

Sent from my MAR-LX3A using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 09-18-2021, 10:13 PM   #133

Majingir's Arena

Quote:

Don't forget about truculence. Team had more guys like that over skill guys, and skill is what they needed more of.

Although nowadays, Leafs have way more skill than they do physical presence, and the physicality is what they need more of so...
Old 09-19-2021, 09:05 AM   #134
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Detroit top prospect Lucas Raymond appears to be doing well in the rookie tournament. Scored two goals in last nights loss and one the previous game.
Getting rave reviews thus far.
I think the plan is for him to start the season in Grand Rapids then be a top-6 forward for 22-23.

Listened to a Staff and Graph podcast recently and they were comparing the development process between Carolina and Montreal.
The Canadiens are a mess.
They rush players too often while Carolina lets them marinate at the right pace.
Yzerman and the Wings seem to do things the right way as well.
They won't be a contender for a couple more seasons, but the future looks good.

Sent from my MAR-LX3A using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 09-21-2021, 05:55 PM   #135

Majingir's Arena

Teams starting to unofficially suspend players who don't get vaccinated.

Jackets have sent down Rinaldo after he refused to get vaccinated. Although it makes no sense that he's allowed playing in the AHL...

Islanders announced that nobody will be allowed on their team unless they're vaccinated, and one minor leaguer isn't, and will be moved if he doesn't get it.

I expect others to follow suit. I'd imagine/hope Canadian teams do it as well since they need to do everything they can not just for the health/safety of everyone, but to give the governments a good reason to allow more fans at games.

Edit-

Nylander hasn't gotten his, but said he will before the season starts.

Bertuzzi won't get his, won't be playing any games in Canada, but the Wings will be keeping him on the team...

Last edited by Majingir; 09-22-2021 at 01:56 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2021, 02:11 PM   #136

Majingir's Arena

Eichel has failed his physical and the Sabres took away his captaincy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »