Home

The Greatest Playoff Series of the Modern Era

This is a discussion on The Greatest Playoff Series of the Modern Era within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 06-04-2014, 05:16 AM   #25
2023 National Champions

Psyblast's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: The Greatest Playoff Series of the Modern Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
Honourable Mentions #21-25

Ducks def. Red Wings 4-2 (2007 West Final)

Great series. Teemu's biggest goal. Or as Psyblast would call it, "The Day the Terrorists Won".

**** YOU!!

That Game 5 remains one of the most haunting, unspeakable things to ever happen. The Red Wings blow a chance to go up 3-1 by losing Game 4 to a Pronger-less Ducks team because the Sasquatch got suspended, but they still have Game 5 back at home, on NBC, on a Sunday afternoon. They lead 1-0 on a goal by Andreas Lilja of all people, and give it up in the final minute of the 3rd period on one of the flukiest goals of all-time. Skunkbeard Niedermayer whiffs on the shot in the slot, but it ticks off Lidstrom's stick and flutters in slow motion over Hasek's shoulder and into the damn net, setting the stage for the birth of Andreas LOLja. If you watch, the moment he gives it away to Selanne, a fan stands up immediately, and is turned and headed out a split second after Selanne scores. A friend and I joke sardonically to this day about the guy in front who knew it was over as soon as the puck was turned over.

That loss was a fluke of bad luck from the hockey gods, along with Rob Niedermayer blatantly pushing Hasek into the goal in Game 2 for the tying goal (Ducks won in OT). If Hasek was any better (he was 99% done as an NHL goalie that year; 100% done the next spring), or if Niklas Kronwall and Mathieu Schneider play a single second in that series, the Wings win. I'll go to my grave believing the Red Wings were the best team in 2007 at full strength.

Quote:
Penguins def. Red Wings 4-3 (2009 Stanley Cup Final)

Could easily have made the top 10, but wasn't quite feeling it, despite the dramatic ending. What's more unbelievable: Pittsburgh winning despite receiving zippo from Crosby; Marc-Andre Fleury making arguably the biggest save in hockey history; or CBC using a Coldplay song to awesome, chills-inducing, unforgettable effect?

I'd like to remind everyone who views me as too pessimistic and too negative: this was the last time I was confident about a Red Wings win. Game 7 in 2009.

I'm still paranoid about that series. Games 1 and 2 being on back to back days, only three days after the Wings finished the WCF in 5 games. The Penguins getting away with 6 men in the offensive zone for 20 seconds, with a linesman allegedly calling for the player nearest the bench to get off the ice to avoid a penalty. Jonathan Ericsson getting called for the same obstruction call that Hal Gill did every time on the ice, with 10:00 left in a tie game, setting up the GWG on the ensuing Pittsburgh power play.

But I digress. Samuelsson hit the post, Fleury robbed Cleary's breakaway, Franzen smacked the puck into Rob Scuderi's leg instead of the net, and Kronwall hit the crossbar in the dying minutes of Game 7. The turning point of this series, btw, was the 2nd period of Game 4. Wings were up 2-1 in the series and 2-1 in the game and got a PP. They botch the PP, Malkin is sprung on essentially a breakaway; Osgood stops him. Barely 30 seconds later, on the same PP, the Wings stumble over themselves again, and Jordan Staal gallops down the ice, basically flicking poor little Brian Rafalski away as he charges in and ties the game with a shorthanded goal. Five minutes later it was 4-2, and the Wings looked dead. I know Doc is a huge disbeliever in "momentum"...I present that sequence as evidence. Staal's SHG changed everything in that game.

Quote:
PS: Please note that the Penguins had no problem with touching the Wales Championship Trophy.
This was superstition too. Crosby himself said they touched it that year to change their luck because they didn't touch it in 2008.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2014, 06:11 AM   #26
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyblast
I'd like to remind everyone who views me as too pessimistic and too negative: this was the last time I was confident about a Red Wings win. Game 7 in 2009.
The only time I felt truly confident about the Canucks was after Game 3 against Chicago and after Game 2 against Boston. Never again.

Quote:
I know Doc is a huge disbeliever in "momentum"...I present that sequence as evidence. Staal's SHG changed everything in that game.
Oh, I believe momentum swings exist within a game (a TSN Turning Point, if you will), and on rare occasion within a series. But they're uncommon. Unlike Craig Simpson and Glenn Healy, I do not believe every single goal, save, or called penalty results in a momentum swing. The term is used by some to explain anything and everything that happens in a game, rendering it meaningless. It's lazy analysis. I'm sure the talking heads were pretty bullish on Pittsburgh's momentum heading into Game 5... which they lost 5-0.

Quote:
This was superstition too. Crosby himself said they touched it that year to change their luck because they didn't touch it in 2008.
Heh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Old 06-04-2014, 12:50 PM   #27
I Drink Like A Champion!!

yankeesgiants's Arena

OVR: 16

Doc,

on Jack Edwards, No just no on that NBC idea. Giving him a nightly national audience for these type of rants which WILL happen btw is a bad idea.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:09 PM   #28
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
Just for fun, here's footage of the aforementioned Good Friday Massacre from 1984. A benches-clearing-brawl at the end of the second period and another one at the beginning of the third. All this while the score was 1-0 in Game 6!!

Try to imagine what Twitter (or these boards) would be like if something like this happened today. And while you watch this, remember there was no instigator penalty back then, so nobody got hurt and no stars ever got targeted, right Grapes?

EDIT: Make sure you watch to the end for the best PA reciting of penalties ever. Amazing!
Mickey Redmond doing the color commentary on this makes it even better. I didn't know he was with HNIC before he started doing the Wings games.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:38 PM   #29
All Star

DrJones's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesgiants
Doc,

on Jack Edwards, No just no on that NBC idea. Giving him a nightly national audience for these type of rants which WILL happen btw is a bad idea.

I did stipulate that he couldn't call national games that involved the Bruins. Would he deliver insane rants after, say, a Penguins/Lightning game?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #30
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

I haven't seen Canucks/Wild yet, so I'm guessing that didn't make the cut. I'm sad.

I was looking forward to your laments over Cloutier.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #31
All Star

DrJones's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
I haven't seen Canucks/Wild yet, so I'm guessing that didn't make the cut. I'm sad.

I was looking forward to your laments over Cloutier.
If I ever do a "Top 10 Playoff Series That Made Me Angry" list, it'll be there.
Quote:
Quote:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #32
All Star

DrJones's Arena

#10 - Oilers def. Stars 4-3 (1997 West Quarterfinal)

I bet nobody expected this one.

High stakes? Legendary teams? No and no. But this series was flat-out fun. The Oilers hadn't been in the playoffs for 5 years (an eternity in Edmonton), and their fans were jacked. The Stars were a very talented, not-quite-ready-for-prime-time, Cup contender. The last 5 games were all decided by one goal, 3 in OT. Edmonton erased a 3-goal deficit in the last 4 minutes of the 3rd period in Game 3 before winning in OT. This series was probably CuJo's high water mark. Tremendous entertainment.

(12:45 to 16:15 for G3 highlights)
(31:40 to 39:15 for G7 highlights)

Quote:
Quote:

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »