Home

Revisiting the 10 Year NBC TV Contract

This is a discussion on Revisiting the 10 Year NBC TV Contract within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #25
NYG_Meth

VanCitySportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Revisiting the 10 Year NBC TV Contract

Game 6 of the Bruins/Caps game was the highest rated non Stanley Cup final game since 1998.

With the way NBC is struggling, they probably would have been better off putting the Saturday games in primetime.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #26
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28
Apart from seeing Milbury, NBCs coverage is awesome

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

http://twitter.com/52isthemike
Old 04-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #27
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog71
I'm not all that impressed with NBC's coverage. They show the same 8 teams over and over, and only 2 of them are in the western conference (Detroit and Chicago). That being said, I don't think it would be any different on ESPN or any other network.

Personally, I pretty much just watch my regional Fox Sports affiliate, NHL Network, and Gamecenter.
Disagree. Their monday games featured a few Avalanche and Wild games just to name a few different from the norm

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

http://twitter.com/52isthemike
Old 05-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #28
NYG_Meth

VanCitySportsGuy's Arena

The Rangers/Caps 3 OT game went head to head with a NBA playoff game on TNT and got better ratings. I believe this is the first time post-lockout that a NHL playoff game got a better rating than a NBA playoff game during the same timeslot.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #29
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCitySportsGuy
The Rangers/Caps 3 OT game went head to head with a NBA playoff game on TNT and got better ratings. I believe this is the first time post-lockout that a NHL playoff game got a better rating than a NBA playoff game during the same timeslot.
Not surprising to me...as I mentioned, I was at a sports bar (3000 miles from DC or NYC) and everyone in there was in to the hockey game, and after it ended no one cared about the NBA games. The NHL playoffs are just better. Especially since the NBA has no drama whatsoever...watch the Heat wail on everyone else. Yawn.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #30
NYG_Meth

VanCitySportsGuy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Not surprising to me...as I mentioned, I was at a sports bar (3000 miles from DC or NYC) and everyone in there was in to the hockey game, and after it ended no one cared about the NBA games. The NHL playoffs are just better. Especially since the NBA has no drama whatsoever...watch the Heat wail on everyone else. Yawn.
I'm a big NBA fan but yeah I have to agree that the Stanley Cup playoffs are miles better than the NBA playoffs.

I think the NHL and NBC are really happy with the playoff ratings. There's been a pretty big increase this season. 6 games have gone over a million viewers on NBCSN so far. Bruins/Caps Game 6 had 3.5 million viewers on NBC. This is only Year 1 of the 10 Year NBC contract and I think it's going to continue to get bigger and better.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #31
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCitySportsGuy
I'm a big NBA fan but yeah I have to agree that the Stanley Cup playoffs are miles better than the NBA playoffs.

I think the NHL and NBC are really happy with the playoff ratings. There's been a pretty big increase this season. 6 games have gone over a million viewers on NBCSN so far. Bruins/Caps Game 6 had 3.5 million viewers on NBC. This is only Year 1 of the 10 Year NBC contract and I think it's going to continue to get bigger and better.

I'm a (former) huge NBA fan as well...but I was weaned on the bad boy Pistons and the fierce rivalries of the 80's, and today's league bears only a passing resemblance to those glory days. I don't want to be like an old guy complaining about the young whippersnappers, but today's NBA doesn't speak to me at all.

The fact that the NHL viewership is as good as it is strikes me as more impressive since a lot of people don't even have the flagship NBC Sports channel available. It's nowhere near as ubiquitous as TNT or ESPN, for sure. the NBC (network) viewership is solid as well. Hopefully this is the start of a trend and not a one or two year blip, though (a-la early 90's).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #32
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

The NHL two game 7 night got beat in the US by the Manchester United/Manchester city match - a regular season EPL match on a Monday afternoon.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »