Home

HBO 24/7: Road to the Winter Classic

This is a discussion on HBO 24/7: Road to the Winter Classic within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 12-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #9
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: HBO 24/7: Road to the Winter Classic

CBC has missed out big time not using their royalty status with the NHL to put together a first rate NHL doc series like this.

Always love Hard Knocks and other 24/7 series', but this was probably my favorite. The access and insight into a sport I've followed for as long as I can remember had me glued to every second of the show.

Seriously, what was with Boudreau's face being covered in mystery sauce? Did the guy wolf down a concessions hot dog before sitting down for an interview?
Old 12-16-2010, 10:30 AM   #10
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
CBC has missed out big time not using their royalty status with the NHL to put together a first rate NHL doc series like this.

Always love Hard Knocks and other 24/7 series', but this was probably my favorite. The access and insight into a sport I've followed for as long as I can remember had me glued to every second of the show.

Seriously, what was with Boudreau's face being covered in mystery sauce? Did the guy wolf down a concessions hot dog before sitting down for an interview?
LOL! You noticed that too?? Hahaha. Definitely some ketchup/mustard combo. Hilarious!

The CBC attempted to do the same thing back in 1998. It was a 6-part series called "A Day in a Life". The first episode was terrific! It followed the Bruins training camp and first round picks Thornton and Samsanov. It was highly insightful showing the Bruins brass's disappointment with Thornton's poor showing while Samsanov dazzled them. In one play, he even undressed Ray Bourque eliciting oohs and ahhs from the crowd.

Unfortunately, the NHL felt the first episode was too revealing and raw and forced the CBC to tonne down the next 5 shows. And let me tell you, the last 5-episodes all stunk.
It was nothing but an hour of cliche's and hand-holding.

I wonder if the CBC will be looking into doing something like that again now that HBO has broken this ground.

As a big World Jr. fan, I'd love to see a short series detailing behind-the-scenes looks at all the teams and what these kids go through during this short tournament.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #11
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
LOL! You noticed that too?? Hahaha. Definitely some ketchup/mustard combo. Hilarious!

The CBC attempted to do the same thing back in 1998. It was a 6-part series called "A Day in a Life". The first episode was terrific! It followed the Bruins training camp and first round picks Thornton and Samsanov. It was highly insightful showing the Bruins brass's disappointment with Thornton's poor showing while Samsanov dazzled them. In one play, he even undressed Ray Bourque eliciting oohs and ahhs from the crowd.

Unfortunately, the NHL felt the first episode was too revealing and raw and forced the CBC to tonne down the next 5 shows. And let me tell you, the last 5-episodes all stunk.
It was nothing but an hour of cliche's and hand-holding.

I wonder if the CBC will be looking into doing something like that again now that HBO has broken this ground.

As a big World Jr. fan, I'd love to see a short series detailing behind-the-scenes looks at all the teams and what these kids go through during this short tournament.
I wold love a World Jr series like this. My only fear is that due to the profile in Canada of the tournament and the pressure on the kids, Hockey Canada would be too concerned about it being a distraction.

Who knows though, the coverage of the World Jr. tournament seems to expand every year. I saw on TSN they had the camera's in the player's faces while they were awakened to be told of their selection to the team.

As for CBC, I remember that series. It was good, but it was from a time before HNiC was as slick a tv property as it is now. I'd love to see something somewhere between the quality of 24/7 and HNiC.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2010, 01:03 PM   #12
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 12-16-2010, 10:26 PM   #13
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

My girlfriend refused to believe that a grown man would walk into an interview and not know he had some sort of sauce on his face. She tried to tell me he had cold sores with cold sore medication applied. Anything but a condiment.

Also worth mentioning for anyone who likes this sort of thing. TSN in Canada has been following the Oilers for a doc series, a new episode airs at the beginning of every month. It's obviously no 24/7, but it's a good look inside the NHL as well.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:53 PM   #14

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

My favorite part was after semin got tossed for the cross check and the refs were explaining to ao (i think) and they say "he ****ing cut his skin", he replies with, "well he must have sensitive skin".
Old 12-17-2010, 12:29 AM   #15
NYG_Meth

VanCitySportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 23

I don't think this type of show would work on TSN/CBC because it would be PG instead of "Rated M". Now having cuss words in a show doesn't make it automatically better but I prefer a "edgier" show.

Boudreau got a call from his mom about his potty mouth
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=546611
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2010, 12:42 AM   #16
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
My girlfriend refused to believe that a grown man would walk into an interview and not know he had some sort of sauce on his face. She tried to tell me he had cold sores with cold sore medication applied. Anything but a condiment.
Bruce has pretty much fallen completely out of grace with CapsNation. Everyone is sick of his inability to make adjustments and it's pretty clear that he's lost the team.

Doesn't help that he has like 4 commercials for different sponsors that run non-stop during Caps games.

I missed the first episode but am looking forward to watching it, even though it's going to highlight how much worse than the Pens the Caps are.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »