Home

4th & 1 Discussion

This is a discussion on 4th & 1 Discussion within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 01-09-2024, 07:10 AM   #105
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: 4th & 1 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC
Josh Allen and Buffalo went for it on 4th and inches from inside their own end of the field - with a lead - and didn't get criticized. The thinking has definitely moved on this.
There was almost virtually no way they wouldn't get the yardage (and yet, they didn't haha). It's just easier to control your own outcome offensively than allow them the opportunity to do so as well, even with a football field's length to cover.

I do wish some teams had a working strategy on actually snapping the ball on those hard-count plays, though. Like, they know after the second motioning that they do it, or only the quarterback and center are in kahoots when the magic "tap" happens, or something. At some point, defenses just know not to move if their hard-count tactics are so... obvious.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2024, 09:00 AM   #106
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer

I do wish some teams had a working strategy on actually snapping the ball on those hard-count plays, though. Like, they know after the second motioning that they do it, or only the quarterback and center are in kahoots when the magic "tap" happens, or something. At some point, defenses just know not to move if their hard-count tactics are so... obvious.
Most teams already do that as that’s something they work on during the offseason/camp. Go and watch those Rodgers’ Packers teams, he used to draw guys offsides every week with his hard count, even when Defenses “knew” it was coming lol

Defenses can try to be disciplined and just “watch the ball” but sometimes in that moment, you just fold as a DLineman.
Old 01-09-2024, 10:10 AM   #107
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Most teams already do that as that’s something they work on during the offseason/camp. Go and watch those Rodgers’ Packers teams, he used to draw guys offsides every week with his hard count, even when Defenses “knew” it was coming lol

Defenses can try to be disciplined and just “watch the ball” but sometimes in that moment, you just fold as a DLineman.
What I mean though are the plays where they have no actual intent on snapping it. Instead, I wish they actually used those to have an intent, as to make the defense assume they won't when they actually do.

In the case of the Bills-Dolphins game, it was 4th & 1, and the Bills' first time out they simply do a hard-count before calling a timeout, then the second time out they go for it on the first hut and are stopped. What if, instead, on that first time out, they play it like they won't snap it, up until the three-second mark when suddenly the defense is on their heels and Allen gets his yardage?

Color commentators have said it themselves live during the play: "You know they won't snap it when they start doing crazy motions and audibles." I agree, and so does the defense. If you can get the defense to jump, then great. However, if you can get them to freeze, that can also heavily work in your favor. I'd just like to see an instance where they really make me believe they won't snap it, until they suddenly do at that most unpredictable time.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 01-09-2024, 10:33 AM   #108
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
There was almost virtually no way they wouldn't get the yardage (and yet, they didn't haha). It's just easier to control your own outcome offensively than allow them the opportunity to do so as well, even with a football field's length to cover.

We did it twice on that drive. The first time from our own 35 with 4 minutes left, and the second time failed at the 2 minute warning.
Old 01-09-2024, 11:15 AM   #109
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC
We did it twice on that drive. The first time from our own 35 with 4 minutes left, and the second time failed at the 2 minute warning.
Correct. I was just acknowledging that I endorse their decision to go for it, analytically.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2024, 01:32 AM   #110
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Correct. I was just acknowledging that I endorse their decision to go for it, analytically.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

I am as well, and I think it's because of the time left in both cases. In the first case eith over 4 minutes and all 3time outs for Buffalo, even if we failed Miami could not consume the entire clock. So they would possibly tie and leave us a chance for a fg attempt drive. And on the latter a conversion ends the game. I always think you should try to win the game on offense, as you say.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »