Home

Old 03-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #41
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: NFL Off Topic 2012

I am curious to see what Browns do. Their unwillingness to give up the #22 pick is one of the reasons they missed out on RG3. Wash made a quick decision and offered them more than what other teams were willing to.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #42
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

You want to talk about starting a new era.. I don't think I've ever seen a team in any sport do a complete clean sweep of the franchise like the Colts are doing. Fired the GM and coaching staff. Cut Peyton, Addai, Clark, Brackett, and Bullitt. Reggie and Saturday are likely gone. Freeney is on the trade market.

At this point I don't even know why they resigned Mathis.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 03-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #43
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by z Revis
You want to talk about starting a new era.. I don't think I've ever seen a team in any sport do a complete clean sweep of the franchise like the Colts are doing. Fired the GM and coaching staff. Cut Peyton, Addai, Clark, Brackett, and Bullitt. Reggie and Saturday are likely gone. Freeney is on the trade market.

At this point I don't even know why they resigned Mathis.
I guess because he probably wont get the same trade value as Freeney and I think they think he can be their 3-4 OLB.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #44
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
I guess because he probably wont get the same trade value as Freeney and I think they think he can be their 3-4 OLB.
Mathis was a free agent though. He couldn't have been traded. I do agree with them in their thinking of Mathis being a 3-4 OLB. I think he'd be much better at that than Freeney. But Mathis is also 30 years old. If you're going to get rid of every face in your franchise and do a clean sweep like this, I don't understand the point in keeping him. He probably only has a few more years left in his prime and the Colts are now years away from contending again.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 03-11-2012, 03:21 AM   #45
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Yeah I've personally never seen such a radical change in a team the way the Colts are doing it. The only thing that comes close to this was Harold Ballard completely dismantling the Maple Leafs team of the late '70s because players wanted bigger contracts (and not huge mega dollars either) and being the cheap bastard that he was he traded away the core of the team.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #46
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

Who else isn't surprised that Dallas and Washington are getting burned for this?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...nt-some-teams/

Quote:
The CBA that expired one year today removed the salary cap for the final year, as an incentive to get a new deal in place with more than a year left on the old one. Once the owners fully appreciated the ramifications of the uncapped year (i.e., no salary floor and two extra years to unrestricted free agency), the league had no qualms about proceeding. But while most teams opted not to break the bank in a season without a banker, the NFL instructed teams not to use the uncapped years as a way to dump money in order to ensure that cap numbers in years with a salary cap would be lower.
And there’s currently a rumor making the rounds that multiple teams will be smacked for doing just that: using 2010 as a cap dump aimed at either keeping the numbers manageable in 2009 and previously, or in 2011 and subsequently.
It widely was believed in 2010 that the Cowboys and Redskins had worked the system to take full advantage of the absence of a cap. Dallas, for example, gave receiver Miles Austin a base salary of $17 million in 2010.
Though not as troubling as the Saints’ bounty program, we’re hearing that punishment of some sort could be coming for the teams deemed to have disregarded the directive.
UPDATE 3:12 p.m. ET: It’s not just a rumor. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the league will remove “millions” in salary-cap space from the Cowboys and Redskins for their uncapped-year deals.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #47
Dog
aka jnes12/JNes__

Dog's Arena

OVR: 60

I believe the Eagles will get burned by that as well if I'm not mistaken

Old 03-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #48
Next Miami Great

iAM-IncReDiBLe-'s Arena

OVR: 34
Edit Wrong thread