Home

75 Greatest NBA Players (NBA 75th season celebration?)

This is a discussion on 75 Greatest NBA Players (NBA 75th season celebration?) within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-21-2021, 10:02 PM   #49
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: 75 Greatest NBA Players (NBA 75th season celebration?)

Dennis Rodman, Gary Payton, Reggie Miller, Dame Lillard making the list over Dwight Howard is an absolute joke…

I saw Klay was upset he didn’t make it, I think he’s close but for the very reason they voted in someone like Rodman (contributions to rings) is the same reason Klay IMO should get in over Reggie or one of the older guys who didn’t make the cut but now have.

I saw tons of people campaigning for Kyrie, Andre Iguodala said he’s top 20, that’s a ****ing joke.

I don’t scoff at the idea of adding Nique or McAdoo, but part of me believes they should have selected guys since the first vote only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2021, 10:16 PM   #50
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
Dennis Rodman, Gary Payton, Reggie Miller, Dame Lillard making the list over Dwight Howard is an absolute joke…

I saw Klay was upset he didn’t make it, I think he’s close but for the very reason they voted in someone like Rodman (contributions to rings) is the same reason Klay IMO should get in over Reggie or one of the older guys who didn’t make the cut but now have.

I saw tons of people campaigning for Kyrie, Andre Iguodala said he’s top 20, that’s a ****ing joke.

I don’t scoff at the idea of adding Nique or McAdoo, but part of me believes they should have selected guys since the first vote only.
I agree with a lot of this. I've been thinking a bit about the voters and their perceptions or possible misconceptions.

For one, I think Reggie Miller was great but at the same time I think the narrative surrounding him suggests he was greater than he was.

And I know this is sacrilegious as a Pistons fan but sometimes I think Dennis Rodman fandom crosses over into a sort of strange cult-ish ground, where suddenly he could do no wrong and if he ever did do wrong, it's because he was just a zany guy or his team had it coming. There was a good chunk of his career where he just couldn't be counted on and another where he was just a young buck filling gaps, well short of stardom.

But I'm going to shut up about that because any Piston making the list is a cool thing to me. It's just... yeah... I get it.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:22 PM   #51
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Just from a career accomplishment standpoint alone Dwight vs Dame should have been easy.

Dame is a scorer, Dwight is currently 43 spots ahead of him in career scoring. Dwight has 2 more All-Star games, 2 more All-NBA teams, he has 2 block titles, 5 defensive teams, 3 def POY awards, he has a ring now, he has 4 years being top 5 for MVP to Dame’s 1 year, 5 rebound titles and currently the top rebounder among current players.

Like sure maybe Dame makes the top 100 team down the line, but over Dwight right now isn’t fair for Dwight IMO. And there’s enough overlap there in their careers for it to not be some complicated era thing.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2021, 10:29 PM   #52

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

Honestly I'd have put Klay on that list ahead of some of those guys. As far as Reggie goes, at least he made it to the Finals and had some pretty iconic playoff moments along the way. Not everyone on that list can say that.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:31 PM   #53
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Dwight is interesting because his first 7 years, he worked his way up the ladder as being one of the best players at his position to being one of the best and top players in the league.

When he made his trade demand to the Nets in 2011, it just kinda went downhill for him either injuries(although the way he balled out in his first LA run while playing with a torn labrum was amazing), issues/fit with certain players/systems and didn’t really end on the best terms with any team he was on(from LA to Houston to Atlanta to Charlotte to DC)while also dealing with injuries in each of those places.

It sucks that injuries robbed him of what would’ve been the prime of his career where he would’ve easily been a shoo in for this, assuming those issues during that period played a significant factor in voters choices.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:55 PM   #54
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Dwight is interesting because his first 7 years, he worked his way up the ladder as being one of the best players at his position to being one of the best and top players in the league.

When he made his trade demand to the Nets in 2011, it just kinda went downhill for him either injuries(although the way he balled out in his first LA run while playing with a torn labrum was amazing), issues/fit with certain players/systems and didn’t really end on the best terms with any team he was on(from LA to Houston to Atlanta to Charlotte to DC)while also dealing with injuries in each of those places.

It sucks that injuries robbed him of what would’ve been the prime of his career where he would’ve easily been a shoo in for this, assuming those issues during that period played a significant factor in voters choices.

But even then he’s still hung around and contributed to a championship. I get the recency and the back half of his career not being as good, but it’s not like he had just one good year. The first half of his career is borderline top 50 production.

His 8 All-NBA selections are tied for 32nd all time, 8 All-Star games are tied for 51 All-Time, 5 defensive teams tied for 32nd, 3rd most Def POY awards, his 5 rebound titles are the 5th most, he’s 38th in MVP shares.

He could have just retired after that first bit and still deserve to be on the list. The rest is just extra, and includes a ring.

Old 10-21-2021, 11:02 PM   #55
Hall Of Fame

cima's Arena

OVR: 5

Dwight is the biggest snub by far and it's not even close. Dame being on over him is a freaking joke
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2021, 11:04 PM   #56
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
But even then he’s still hung around and contributed to a championship. I get the recency and the back half of his career not being as good, but it’s not like he had just one good year. The first half of his career is borderline top 50 production.

His 8 All-NBA selections are tied for 32nd all time, 8 All-Star games are tied for 51 All-Time, 5 defensive teams tied for 32nd, 3rd most Def POY awards, his 5 rebound titles are the 5th most, he’s 38th in MVP shares.

He could have just retired after that first bit and still deserve to be on the list. The rest is just extra, and includes a ring.

Don’t confuse my post with me making an argument either way because I’m certainly not.

Who were the voters and are their votes public?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »