Home

The worst pick up players.

This is a discussion on The worst pick up players. within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-20-2022, 07:25 PM   #1249
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: The worst pick up players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
I've never seen a guy get the boot, but it's hilarious to imagine it.

This run was pretty bad in general and the way they chose teams was dumb (shoot FT and each make goes to alternating sides. First guy hits, goes to team on the right, second guy hits, he's on the team on the left, 3rd guy hits, he's on the team on the right, etc.). We wound up with the four big men at the run and the one 5'6 dude, so of course he felt it was his duty to handle the ball the entire time even though three of the bigs easily had a better handle (and much better IQ).

There was no wait (only 10 guys at the gym) and since it was my first run back I didn't care. I was out there trying to not get hurt and not have a heart attack lol. If that happens again I'll freeze him out. If it's better run or if there's a wait then he's definitely getting frozen out immediately lol.
Think I've seen it multiple times because it was a fairly small town with really only one outdoor court. Seems like each weekend there was a couple of new "one times" that would show up. Normally whoever got matched up would take it easy on them and everything would be fine. But we would sometimes get the teenage skater boi who was just there to show off to his GF, or the "gotta check my phone" after damn near every inbound kid but one of my favorite hoops stories -- we had a guy that was a regular and was decent if it was a game of 21 but anytime it was a competitive team game its like a switch went off and he turned into some kind of pickup basketball monster.

He himself got cut twice lmao.
Once he wouldn't stop complaining about a ringing in his ears. Dude literally stopped playing on D and said its cuz his ears were ringing. Magically on offense when he got the ball it wasn't a problem. My favorite though was the UFO. He stopped playing because he saw a UFO in the sky and got really troubled by it. In truth his IQ was low enough to where he was on disability so everyone tried to be patient with him. Until he stopped guarding midplay to stare at the UFO in the sky. Thats when they were like "okay you're getting cut."

But yeah being the only court in town we often got guys (usually teenagers) that showed up for the social clout instead of balling.

Edit: I may have shared the UFO story waaay back in this thread. Its just that damn good and you had to be there. We all ultra competitive really D'ing up the other team and suddenly TP's man gets a pass and has a clear path wide open layup and almost in unison multiple guys go "TP what is you doing" and he's just casually out near midcourt staring at the sky and points up talking about there's a UFO in the sky
Old 03-02-2023, 10:45 PM   #1250
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Looks like it's my turn to contribute to the old hooper injury report.

Tweaked my knee deadlifting almost exactly a year ago. Rested for a bit then resumed activity. Hiking, biking, running, lifting, etc. (chilled on full court basketball). Doctors speculated but wouldn't order MRI without doing PT first. So, after jumping through that hoop, I was finally granted an MRI last week. Results came back two days ago. Then the doctor said last word I wanted to hear:

Microfracture

I figured I had a small tear in my meniscus this whole time, since I've been able to continue with most activities with very little pain (and often, no pain whatsoever). I thought I'd cruise in there for a little outpatient procedure and start the rehab process in a couple days.

Instead, there's apparently a pea-sized disruption to the cartilage near my left patella (chondromalacia patellae). It seems small and localized so in the midst of my surgeon's speed-run bedside manner, he seemed to suggest the chances of microfracture success are much greater than NBA guys dealing with catastrophic knee injuries well beyond the scope of my own.

Either way, I'm quite unnerved at the prospect of microfracture surgery, just on account of everything I've seen and read about its drawbacks over the years. Can't help but think of Amar'e and Penny. I'm betting it's what I need, but I'm getting a second opinion just in case.

So anyway, looks like I've got a fun summer waiting for me.
Old 03-03-2023, 01:24 AM   #1251
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

If it’s any consolation, Microfracture surgery has come a loooong way.

When I destroyed everything in my knee that ends with a CL, microfracture surgery was a part of the mix. That knee is now stronger than the knee I had a scope on.

Get well soon sir…it’s a physical and mental toll but you’ll be back on the court in no time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2023, 07:50 PM   #1252
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
If it’s any consolation, Microfracture surgery has come a loooong way.

When I destroyed everything in my knee that ends with a CL, microfracture surgery was a part of the mix. That knee is now stronger than the knee I had a scope on.

Get well soon sir…it’s a physical and mental toll but you’ll be back on the court in no time.
Much appreciated. I honestly needed to hear that. Microfracture as a concept was just unsettling to hear, especially when I was banking on just a small meniscus tear. I needed someone to talk me off the ledge a bit.
Old 05-31-2023, 01:25 AM   #1253
MVP

Nathan_OS's Arena

OVR: 25

Just got heated with a guy at the gym. He walked around the gym calling everyone a bitch. Every time he scored he would grab the ball and toss it towards the sideline where someone would have to go fetch it and then just call them out their name. (He was peeved from a call that didn’t go his way)

Anyway, he tossed the ball one more time. I told him that he had to stop doing that. He ended up calling me a bitch too (bitch *** *****) to be exact. Anyway things got heated and I moved closer to him. He ended up getting in a fighting stance which kind of triggered me not gonna lie. Punches were thrown. People tried to calm me down I guess because of my stature.

Have y’all ran into guys like this?

I should’ve walked away from the situation but I think i was triggered early. Hate fighting or arguing while hooping, but I guess it happens sometimes.

Old 06-16-2023, 01:48 AM   #1254
MVP

Nathan_OS's Arena

OVR: 25

Realizing I can’t even afford to take 2 weeks off. Rhythm sport.

Old 06-16-2023, 01:00 PM   #1255
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_OS
Just got heated with a guy at the gym. He walked around the gym calling everyone a bitch. Every time he scored he would grab the ball and toss it towards the sideline where someone would have to go fetch it and then just call them out their name. (He was peeved from a call that didn’t go his way)

Anyway, he tossed the ball one more time. I told him that he had to stop doing that. He ended up calling me a bitch too (bitch *** *****) to be exact. Anyway things got heated and I moved closer to him. He ended up getting in a fighting stance which kind of triggered me not gonna lie. Punches were thrown. People tried to calm me down I guess because of my stature.

Have y’all ran into guys like this?

I should’ve walked away from the situation but I think i was triggered early. Hate fighting or arguing while hooping, but I guess it happens sometimes.

I never fight for a pick up game. My best strategy. I throw compliments at them. They get really confused.

A basketball can be replaced and life can't be. I've just seen too many baskets courts aired out in my day. I haven't seen it in a long time. But the risk of fighting over a game isn't worth it.

Oh can't find the clip right now. But I always remember the fight when the other guy knew BBJ. It was over very quickly. Could of easily broken his leg.

Found it LMAO
https://youtu.be/7UhsjTkyAZk

"Hey guys stop" always kills me LMFAO

Last edited by jeebs9; 06-16-2023 at 01:05 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2023, 03:54 PM   #1256
Rookie

702's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
I never fight for a pick up game. My best strategy. I throw compliments at them. They get really confused.

A basketball can be replaced and life can't be. I've just seen too many baskets courts aired out in my day. I haven't seen it in a long time. But the risk of fighting over a game isn't worth it.

Oh can't find the clip right now. But I always remember the fight when the other guy knew BBJ. It was over very quickly. Could of easily broken his leg.

Found it LMAO
https://youtu.be/7UhsjTkyAZk

"Hey guys stop" always kills me LMFAO
Yeah man. Outdoor people get stupid and you never know whats in the car.

Indoor, and... look, I grew up fighting. My hands are solid. Family full of boxers. Does not mean a damn thing anymore. Goofiest, flabbiest guy will pull out some BJJ or crazy grappling technique and bam I'm in for ACL number two, or a snapped ankle, or whatever. I'm an old married man I'm not showing out for ANYBODY! Lol. Dude in that clip really did the crouch and load up pose like he's in a movie. Clown show.

On the ACL note, quick vent. I've been playing for a few weeks now down at the local park for the first time in maybe 3 years. I'm 33 now, so not real old, but haven't consistently played since I blew my knee (ACL, meniscus shaved off DWade style) at 25. It's crazy how quick it's coming back. I'm feeling great. I'm 60 lbs heavier (175 vs 235 at 6'2'') but I have taken up lifting the last couple years so I feel more overall athletic than I maybe ever have. Problem is, I work out at home so no gym membership. So no inside run available to me and I'm stuck on these courts with 15-22 year olds. I have all this power game now that I just can't use without feeling like a complete goofy, bodying 150 lb kids. So I just kinda float around and throw wild passes. It's fun being out there, and it's an incredible feeling when the jumper feels like it's really coming back. But man I could go for some serious run where I get my *** busted and question what I'm even doing. Playing with youngsters comes with all the expected annoyances (ball hogs, kids are annoying in general, the trash music they play lol), and there is zero reason I should be the best guy on any court.

I took up baseball about 4 years ago now in a Sunday league and have gotten pretty decent. Can crank it out 350 or so feet when I catch one. Clean first baseman, can even work in a decent 3 pitch mix on the mound. But man something about ball just feels so *right*. Next step is to lose this extra 20-30 lbs and get back the vertical.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »