Home

Western Conference Finals: (1)Denver Nuggets vs (7)Los Angeles Lakers

This is a discussion on Western Conference Finals: (1)Denver Nuggets vs (7)Los Angeles Lakers within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-23-2023, 01:23 PM   #521
G.O.A.T.

TMagic's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Western Conference Finals: (1)Denver Nuggets vs (7)Los Angeles Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cima
Pretty similar to WWE/wrestling fans. The product has changed over the decades and not everyone is down with the current product and new stars (or lack thereof).
Yup. Literally applies to almost all sections of culture...

"Music ain't what it used to be

"Today's kids are so (insert negative sentiment). When I grew up we... "

"NFL is soft now. This ain't real football"

"They don't make (insert item) like they used to"

Off topic kinda...My theory is that most people harken back to their younger years when they were most consistently happy. Maybe even HAPPIEST before being punched in the face by life and growing old. Lol

So we label everything from "before" as better when in reality, it just stems from the overall association of being happier in that time frame

We tend to be influenced in a negative way by our environment (stress, pain, etc) that leads to a decreased appreciation/enjoyment for anything we experience in the moment.

The exact same champagne tastes way better after victory than after defeat

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Twitter: @ThoseFools

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEC...cd41cJK2238sIA
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2023, 01:47 PM   #522
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36
Western Conference Finals: (1)Denver Nuggets vs (7)Los Angeles Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cima
Pretty similar to WWE/wrestling fans. The product has changed over the decades and not everyone is down with the current product and new stars (or lack thereof).
My thing is has the league itself changed or has it’s partners(Media/TV)done a bad job of selling/marketing it? I’d say it’s definitely the latter.

Hell, you can make the argument that once the league went all in on the Soap Opera stuff, that played a role in turning folks away or having them tune in less than they did before.

But one thing you can’t say is the league is lacking stars, because that’s not true at all and we both know that, casual or hardcore.

Last edited by ProfessaPackMan; 05-23-2023 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-23-2023, 01:51 PM   #523
Rookie

OVR: 0

Your tastes are pretty much shaped by what you grew up with. Who would have known ?
Old 05-23-2023, 02:51 PM   #524
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMagic
Yup. Literally applies to almost all sections of culture...

"Music ain't what it used to be

"Today's kids are so (insert negative sentiment). When I grew up we... "

"NFL is soft now. This ain't real football"

"They don't make (insert item) like they used to"

Off topic kinda...My theory is that most people harken back to their younger years when they were most consistently happy. Maybe even HAPPIEST before being punched in the face by life and growing old. Lol

So we label everything from "before" as better when in reality, it just stems from the overall association of being happier in that time frame

We tend to be influenced in a negative way by our environment (stress, pain, etc) that leads to a decreased appreciation/enjoyment for anything we experience in the moment.

The exact same champagne tastes way better after victory than after defeat

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Right, nostalgia and the need for things to be "how I remembered them."

Also, we go through the "NBA ratings" discussion ever so often and we all know why they are down.

Casuals "losing interest," cord cutting, and too many other options are some of the reasons. That is the effect of our modern sports/entertainment culture with options at our fingertips and access (at least in the US) being readily available.

I'm just gonna enjoy the sport, while just not worrying about ratings or attracting the "casual" audience, TBH.

Joker is great, Jimmy (begrudgingly) is great, and if you can't enjoy them or their team that is on you.

Note: That isn't an attack on any of my fellow OS'ers. We are a small, niché community worrying about the NBA drawing the exact opposite of us. Talk about irony.

Official HQ of Bills Backer/Spurs Nation

Official OS Bills Backers Club Member
Old 05-23-2023, 03:18 PM   #525
All Star

BleacherBum2310's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Lot of people aren’t going to watch and a lot of people will watch. Water is wet, grass is green, etc.

Why should any fan give a damn about what ratings will look like for the Finals? Lol

the latter is the most important part and they don't ever have a good reason. applies to wrestling to. people for weeks argued about the ratings but as it turns out the same exact people watch wrestling so it doesn't matter. did they lose fans maybe/probably but the landscape is also dramatically different. the biggest problem for NBA is I'm not sure there is a large amount that actually like Basketball anymore. but that's probably just my view from being on twitter lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2023, 03:25 PM   #526
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0

My favorite is the "I hate this about the NBA'. "I hate this about this player" crowd who will openly admit "I haven't watched the NBA in 20 years".. Those people flood the internet, will tell you every old player, team, coach, mindset that is better about whatever era they are referencing but will openly admit that they don't even watch enough of the product now to know what the **** they are even talking about it. They watched a couple highlight clips and that's all that happens in their eyes.

Most annoying type of "fans" that exist.
Old 05-23-2023, 04:08 PM   #527
All Star

georgiafan's Arena

OVR: 12

The media definitely has a big role in this I mean today should be talking about Denver. A team that made it to the finals for I think the 1st time ever. A team that the casuals know nothing about and a team with no reason not to like them. The star player is out here breaking Wilt's record.

Instead, what's everyone talking about? Its if Lebron is going to retire and instantly moving Denver to the back page. I think a very petty move for Lebron to do as it moved him losing away from the main topic. Instead of what's best for the future of the league while he is only trying to cover up the fact that he got swept.

What's the story going to be of Miami wins tonight? The main thing will be if the coach gets fired and what Boston should do with Tatum and Brown. Instead of Miami making it as a 8th seed.
Old 05-23-2023, 04:50 PM   #528

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

With all do respect to Jokic, the NBA and the media have tried to market him - every 2 seconds it's "Joker" and Joker memes from Bleacher Report, talking up his greatness etc - but you can't force casuals to care as much about his personality or his game as they do other stars.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »