Home

2023 Offseason Thread

This is a discussion on 2023 Offseason Thread within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-13-2023, 11:07 PM   #9
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: 2023 Offseason Thread

This screams Mike D’Antoni retread.
Old 05-13-2023, 11:10 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
Wow Shams bomb.

So Monty taking the fall here? What’s up with that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reminds me of the Vogel situation a bit. Team seems to have less of an identity than they did when things were going good, Monty doesn’t seem to have that same push the young guys type of influence he had before. Who knows if CP3 is coming back, Monty and Ayton fell out awhile again and Ayton has already stated he wants to stay long term. Who knows how much Booker responds to him at this point but watching them play he basically kills every set they run with an iso anyways. I’m not in the locker room but it seems like Booker now views himself above the influence of Monty or CP3.

And it’s not like Monty did an amazing job overall. It seem that way with the turnaround initially for sure, but they hit a wall. They were solid, he didn’t do bad, but seems like the consensus is they’ve underachieved the past couple years and the year you could argue they overachieved they ran into injured Lakers, inured Nuggets, injured Clippers.. all who were coming off postseason runs the year before and had the shortest off-season in NBA history to recover from.

They couldn’t defend Milwaukee, couldn’t defend in the playoffs last year, couldn’t defend this year.

I wouldn’t say it’s Monty’s fault, but with as much player/coach movement as we have now it’s not a shocker honestly. Frank, D’Antoni, Bud, Nurse, all those guys were dropped too and might have reached higher highs than even Monty did.

Biggest reason this is such a head scratcher to me is it falls under the “but who available is better” category. Similar to Vogel though, if he doesn’t have the input within the locker room he once did maybe that doesn’t matter. Gamble on a coach who maybe isn’t “better” but gives a new perspective in that sense. I’m not sure there is a single thing Ham does better than Frank, but players are obviously more bought in from an outsiders perspective.

In this era it seems voices get stale, players move around too much to really build an identity like before. You aren’t really developing decade long culture and chemistry and getting players to fit that. You’re building on stars in short windows.
Old 05-13-2023, 11:30 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0
2023 Offseason Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef
He got railroaded, they have an extremely thin roster after trading for Durant and relied on an aging Paul to somehow stay healthy yet somehow them losing to the #1 seed is worthy of being fired. I know they'll claim up and down the job is an attractive one but with that roster and next to no space to make any moves I don't think it's nearly as attractive as the media will consistently claim.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I’m not with the team/in the locker room but I’m assuming it has more to do with the team looking like they basically just quit on him. I highly doubt anybody faults them solely for losing to the 1 seed. Failing to compete is another thing.

It also took him way too long to figure out that guys who could space the floor and shoot, Landale, Payne, Ross, Warren, have a ton of value when Book and KD can draw doubles all game long and Denver has the middle of the floor locked up. All of those guys were completely out of his rotation, and I think much better than advertised as far as a thin roster goes. Most of those guys could start on a few teams, and other than starting Landale in a game and playing Shamet like 30+ minutes the night he was blistering hot it seemed Monty could never figure out that having guys that could extent the floor and make Joker a liability might be a good move.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2023, 12:17 AM   #12

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1...ep7SxstAw&s=19

Raptors sound like a team already with heavy interest
Old 05-14-2023, 10:43 AM   #13
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
I’m not with the team/in the locker room but I’m assuming it has more to do with the team looking like they basically just quit on him. I highly doubt anybody faults them solely for losing to the 1 seed. Failing to compete is another thing.

It also took him way too long to figure out that guys who could space the floor and shoot, Landale, Payne, Ross, Warren, have a ton of value when Book and KD can draw doubles all game long and Denver has the middle of the floor locked up. All of those guys were completely out of his rotation, and I think much better than advertised as far as a thin roster goes. Most of those guys could start on a few teams, and other than starting Landale in a game and playing Shamet like 30+ minutes the night he was blistering hot it seemed Monty could never figure out that having guys that could extent the floor and make Joker a liability might be a good move.
I wonder if people forget(most likely they did)how last season ended? That right there alone put him on the hot seat to begin with and the fact that the season didn’t go as well they thought it would(even pre-KD trade)while also getting a new Owner as well….when you take everything into consideration and not just this year, then it becomes clear to *understand* why they let him go.

And when you also have 2 Top 10 players(at their respective position at the least)that are great enough to get you a championship, as a Coach, you’re not going to have as much time as you think. But these firings(the ones that have happened so far this offseason)aren’t just based solely on this season.

If Philly loses today, we’ll all understand why Doc got let go and whenever the Clippers/Lue part ways, we’ll understand that as well but so far, I haven’t thought that these firings were unjustified but at the very least I understood why they were done when looking at the entire picture, which you should do when looking at coaching resignations/firings.
Old 05-14-2023, 10:58 AM   #14

Majingir's Arena

One rumor I heard for the Suns is moving on from CP3, bringing in VanVleet, and Nick Nurse as the coach.

Don't know how it would work. 3 team deal?

Suns get VanVleet (who Raptors S&T), 3rd team gets CP3, and Raptors get some salary filler + draft picks?
Old 05-14-2023, 12:09 PM   #15
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
Raptors interviewed JJ Redick for their coaching job.

Didn't even realize he's been retired for 2 seasons.
Going from Nick Nurse to JJ Reddick.

Might as well bring in a young college coach or assistant coach, not a guy coming off a podcast with no prior coaching experience.

Official HQ of Bills Backer/Spurs Nation

Official OS Bills Backers Club Member
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2023, 03:38 PM   #16

Majingir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Posse
Going from Nick Nurse to JJ Reddick.

Might as well bring in a young college coach or assistant coach, not a guy coming off a podcast with no prior coaching experience.

Official HQ of Bills Backer/Spurs Nation
Some comments online had people suggesting it was just the Raptors doing his agent a favor to give him "interview experience"

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »