Home

Can Josh Hamilton and Mickey Mantle be compared to one another?

This is a discussion on Can Josh Hamilton and Mickey Mantle be compared to one another? within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 3
Re: Can Josh Hamilton and Mickey Mantle be compared to one another?

A lot of people look like they were knocking my Beltran comparison, but I still want to know who is playing in the game right now that switch hits and is/was a 5 tool CF.

If Beltran had stayed healthy I think he was the closest one to Mantle. And by closest I mean nowehre in the same country, but closer than everybody else.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:30 AM   #34
Banned

OVR: 32

I don't know about the Mantle comparisons... I love the Mick, mainly because my dad grew up idolizing him, but I never saw him play. I know he was extremely talented but that was a different era.

With that said, Josh Hamilton is INSANELY talented. He buried himself early in his life but it takes an amazing ballplayer to miss what, three years of pro ball while being addicted to drugs and then coming back to be an MVP type player? It is almost surreal and I doubt will ever really see anything like it again. He's one of my favorite ballplayers because he is battling his demons and doing what he loves. He may have hard days still but the guy has came so far and it's pretty amazing to see. I can't help but to root for the guy.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:49 PM   #35
Banned

OVR: 10

Hamilton is a better, more polished hitter. Mantle was a bigger physical freak.

I realize Mantle hit for the cycle back in the day which meant that he could hit for average like Hamilton. But I think its more difficult to hit today.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2010, 02:51 PM   #36
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle
I don't know about the Mantle comparisons... I love the Mick, mainly because my dad grew up idolizing him, but I never saw him play. I know he was extremely talented but that was a different era.

With that said, Josh Hamilton is INSANELY talented. He buried himself early in his life but it takes an amazing ballplayer to miss what, three years of pro ball while being addicted to drugs and then coming back to be an MVP type player? It is almost surreal and I doubt will ever really see anything like it again. He's one of my favorite ballplayers because he is battling his demons and doing what he loves. He may have hard days still but the guy has came so far and it's pretty amazing to see. I can't help but to root for the guy.

Hamilton might be the closest thing MLB has ever had to Roy Hobbs.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:12 PM   #37
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
A lot of people look like they were knocking my Beltran comparison, but I still want to know who is playing in the game right now that switch hits and is/was a 5 tool CF.
Beltran hasn't ever lived up to half his expectations. We've heard for years how many tools the guy has, how great he is, we seen him go off in one postseason and then sign a giant contract to play like one season of it. There's been questioning of his heart and attitude the whole time.

Sorry, I don't buy Carlos Beltran, never have. It's always just been talk. He's never delivered and I doubt he ever will, since he isn't a young man anymore.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:15 PM   #38
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieG

I realize Mantle hit for the cycle back in the day which meant that he could hit for average like Hamilton. But I think its more difficult to hit today.
You do realize that in his hey-day Mantle DID hit for average (in fact, he has the highest average ever for a switch hitter in a single season with .365). That said, it's hard to compare players from era to era. I do know that Mantle was at a higher level compared to his peers than Hamilton is to his. Let's also not forget that Hamilton has had one great year, one good year, and a couple of injury plagued years.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:34 PM   #39
Banned

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
You do realize that in his hey-day Mantle DID hit for average (in fact, he has the highest average ever for a switch hitter in a single season with .365). That said, it's hard to compare players from era to era. I do know that Mantle was at a higher level compared to his peers than Hamilton is to his. Let's also not forget that Hamilton has had one great year, one good year, and a couple of injury plagued years.
You should read the whole post.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:24 PM   #40
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
You should read the whole post.
I interpreted your post as you saying "hey, he hit for the cycle so he could have hit for average if he wanted to."

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »