Home

Hall Of Fame: Yes Or No?

This is a discussion on Hall Of Fame: Yes Or No? within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-16-2024, 10:34 PM   #2353
All Star

bhurst99's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Hall Of Fame: Yes Or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
Posada .273/.374/.474, 121 OPS+
Perez .268/.301/.460, 105 OPS+

To reiterate: Posada hit 275 HR, won 4 World Series with the Yankees, was a much better hitter, got eliminated easily on the 1st ballot. An extra 25 HR would've upped his voting percentage from 4 to 75+?

By the time Perez becomes eligible, the vast majority of BBWAA voters will be new-school types - no way in hell they're voting for someone with a .300 OBP. Perez will need 400 HR or a prominent role in another WS title to have a chance. Posada has a better chance of reaching Cooperstown via Veterans Committee than Perez does via the writers.
Bad luck by Posada that his first year of eligibility was a completely stacked 2017 list. Check it out:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/a...hof_2017.shtml

He wouldn't have been among my 10 candidates either that year. That's an absurd field.

I agree he has a chance via the Veterans Committe but he was never known as a great fielding catcher whereas Perez has that reputation with five Gold Gloves.

I guess if Perez plays like more five years and we wait five years for him to become eligible, we can settle this debate in like 10-to-12 years.
Old 04-16-2024, 11:00 PM   #2354
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhurst99
Bad luck by Posada that his first year of eligibility was a completely stacked 2017 list. Check it out:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/a...hof_2017.shtml

He wouldn't have been among my 10 candidates either that year. That's an absurd field.

I agree he has a chance via the Veterans Committe but he was never known as a great fielding catcher whereas Perez has that reputation with five Gold Gloves.
Don't think that'll carry much water with the WAR crowd. Perez has zero Fielding Bible Awards (essentially Gold Gloves for stats geeks). BTW the only position player in Cooperstown with a worse OBP than Perez is Bill Mazeroski.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhurst99
I guess if Perez plays like more five years and we wait five years for him to become eligible, we can settle this debate in like 10-to-12 years.
No offence to the fine people of the OS forums, but I kinda hope I'm not still hanging around here in my mid-60s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Old 04-17-2024, 12:08 AM   #2355
Hall Of Fame

Master Live 013's Arena

OVR: 0

Posada is tied for 29th all-time for fWAR among catchers, Perez is, checks notes, 126th. Projections have him earning an additional 1.3fWAR this year, 1.0fWAR next year and 0.3 in 2026.

I will go on a limb and say Salvador won't get in through the regular process, if at all.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2024, 07:41 AM   #2356
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

I have never thought of Salvy as a future HOF, but last Sunday on baseball tonight Buster Olney called him “future HOF” Salvador Perez…that really surprised me. Who knows?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-21-2024, 12:46 PM   #2357
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
I have never thought of Salvy as a future HOF, but last Sunday on baseball tonight Buster Olney called him “future HOF” Salvador Perez…that really surprised me. Who knows?

The hall has no meaning to me without Andruw.

Rose colored glasses or not, it's crazy the best defensive CF ever can't get in.
It's hard though...especially when I got my neighbor playing their franchise across the street...maybe I will occupy myself with Glamore Magazine.
Old 04-22-2024, 03:35 PM   #2358
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
The hall has no meaning to me without Andruw.

Rose colored glasses or not, it's crazy the best defensive CF ever can't get in.
Andruw's getting in.

BBWAA votes in 2019: 7.5%
2020: 19.4%
2021: 33.4%
2022: 41.4%
2023: 58.1%
2024: 61.6%

Here's the competition that Andruw faces before he falls off the ballot:

2025 top candidates: Ichiro Suzuki (1st year on ballot), CC Sabathia (1st), Billy Wagner (10th, 73.8%), Andruw Jones (8th, 61.6%), Carlos Beltran (57.1%)

2026 top candidates: nobody, except whoever didn't make it in 2025 (minus Wagner)

2027: Buster Posey (1st), plus whoever didn't make it in 2026

I'd be really surprised if all 6 of these players aren't in by 2027. Chase Utley will also probably make it, but later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Old 04-22-2024, 03:54 PM   #2359

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever

He definitely has a pretty good resume as a catcher. Silver sluggers and gold gloves. It adds up to a good case.
Old 04-23-2024, 05:52 AM   #2360
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0

Perez still needs a few more great not average years to get ahead of guys like Darrell Porter, Jason Kendall, Gene Tenace, Jim Sundberg, guys who were really good but probably never getting inducted. Perez is still behind his contemporary current players Russell Martin, Realmuto, Molina and Posey. If Molina and Posey get in (and Molina would seem a certain lock) I don't know if a third from this era gets in.
#44Syracuse

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »