Home

Old 07-08-2009, 11:06 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: Bye Bye BJ Ryan

I hate to say anything good about JP, but if there's anything he's done right it's been drafting pitchers. Until this season I didn't even realize that we're so deep especially with lefty starters, of course a lot of them are still raw but they can probably make a name for themselves at the major league level down the road.

It's unfortunate that JP is a complete moron when it comes to free agents. Gotta remember that experiment a few seasons ago signing Ohka and Thomson to patch up the rotation. Signing a washed up Stewart for a second run in Toronto. Money thrown at Glaus/Ryan/Burnett that hasn't panned out for more than a season. Also, trades. Has he made a single meaningful deadline move since he's been running this team?
Old 07-09-2009, 01:05 AM   #18
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Vernon Wells sucks so badly. He can't hit for avg or power and swings at everything. Just brutal.
It's amazing, really. Wells was never that great of a player to begin with and somehow he got a huge deal. Check out his numbers before signing the massive contract...

.288/.336/.492, 112 OPS+, 104 RC per 162

Those are decent numbers and worthy of a starting spot on a contender. Not a superstar by any means but still good enough that the man should be playing every day. So what does JP do?

$126 million, seven years

At that very moment, someone should have just taken the guy to an insane asylum for electroshock therapy. You have to be on PCP and opium for the thought of handing out a contract that large for that kind of production to even enter your brain.

For anyone who thinks he is a good fielder, Wells is dead last in all of MLB this season with an astounding -33.3 UZR/150. His career UZR/150 is -6.3. Seriously, this might just be the worst contract in the history of professional sports.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:18 AM   #19
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37

I'd put money on the Indians picking him up.

Urban Meyer is lol.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:10 AM   #20
All Star

rsox's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRruPt-
Also, trades. Has he made a single meaningful deadline move since he's been running this team?
Since the Jays are usually out of contention by the trade deadline the need has not been there to make a deadline deal and Halladay becomes the first sought after Jays player in a very long time.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:18 AM   #21
Banned

BunnyHardaway's Arena

OVR: 36

Dude was a beast when he was in Baltimore...shame his career fell apart.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2009, 10:56 AM   #22
All Star

OVR: 25

I just remember everyone and their mother knowing that Ryan contract was awful the moment it was announced. How a highly paid executive of a Major League team could not understand that still boggles my mind. JP has received the benefit of the doubt so many times and it the media seems to have always portrayed him as one of the young and up and coming GM's ever since he took the job but when does that end?
Old 07-09-2009, 11:01 AM   #23
Banned

BunnyHardaway's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit
I just remember everyone and their mother knowing that Ryan contract was awful the moment it was announced. How a highly paid executive of a Major League team could not understand that still boggles my mind. JP has received the benefit of the doubt so many times and it the media seems to have always portrayed him as one of the young and up and coming GM's ever since he took the job but when does that end?
It's funny...during Spring Training of '05 the O's were "trying" to re-sign him, and he was asking for 3/15 and they didn't agree on anything.

Needless to say, the Jays outbid themselves 10 fold.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:03 AM   #24
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

Gotta wonder how JP has a job. He's got Halladay. That's it. The rest of that team, yuck.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »