Home

Most realistic / sim based hockey game? your opinion

This is a discussion on Most realistic / sim based hockey game? your opinion within the Other Hockey Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-03-2021, 09:59 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Most realistic / sim based hockey game? your opinion

2k3 on the PS2 is still the best hockey game I've played. Or maybe more accurately, the most fun I've had with a hockey game because of its realism.
2K10 is the next closest.

Sent from my MAR-LX3A using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 05-05-2021, 02:02 PM   #10
Rookie

VeNOM3099's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spragga
With the correct settings / sliders, NHL 21 is by far the best SIM game. Im sorry guys but 2k just doesn't cut it anymore. It's been way too long for it to be considered good anymore. At this point NHL 21 basically does everything better than NHL2K.
If we're talking graphical and audio fidelity, then yes. NHL 21 is leaps and bounds ahead of a 10+ year old game. But if we're talking about gameplay or AI... Sorry but EA's game has been severely lacking even to this day. When I see defensemen double back into their zone and get destroyed in the corner giving up the puck when they could've just, oh I don't know, PASS THE PUCK TO A TEAMMATE UP THE ICE!...

... I can't help but feel that a current game still can't get right what a 10 year old game could. EA always gets a pass because of the pretty graphics. But they just don't cut it anymore. Give me NHL 2K10 or NHL 2K8 over the fuster cluck EA's game is any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:29 PM   #11
Pro

The EVHL's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeNOM3099
If we're talking graphical and audio fidelity, then yes. NHL 21 is leaps and bounds ahead of a 10+ year old game. But if we're talking about gameplay or AI... Sorry but EA's game has been severely lacking even to this day. When I see defensemen double back into their zone and get destroyed in the corner giving up the puck when they could've just, oh I don't know, PASS THE PUCK TO A TEAMMATE UP THE ICE!...

... I can't help but feel that a current game still can't get right what a 10 year old game could. EA always gets a pass because of the pretty graphics. But they just don't cut it anymore. Give me NHL 2K10 or NHL 2K8 over the fuster cluck EA's game is any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
EA's AI are pretty atrocious...it's shocking how they basically ignored AI for an entire generation and wonder why fans, especially offline ones, are mad.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2021, 03:03 AM   #12
Rookie

I think the AI in the EA NHL games has taken a step back since 2017. In 2017 it was pretty polished not perfect but with sliders I think I enjoyed it the most of the current gen games... that said 2K's AI is still my favourite. 2K8 can be a little rush heavy at times but it's generally fun to play against and 2K10 nails the actual feel of puck cycling and movement well.

EA 2017 AI took plenty of blue line and point shots with some good cycling and behind net play sure all the players felt the same but the variety in play was there to make up for this. It's gotten worse the last couple of years I really just don't understand the speed out of the box. Why is default and online game play so fast. It's a shame because I think EA nails the graphics and presentation feel now and the create a team franchise modes pretty incredible with expansion draft etc. If they brought it back to PC I'm sure the modding community would make some pretty special.

For all the things EA does well it does just as many bad though which is why I'm playing games that are 10 years old. I hate the goalies in the newer games they just make so many mistakes. They are either terminators unbeatable or they collapse like jelly in heat. The general game play is ok in NHL 2021 but 2017 is better but I hate the fact players all feel the same with only noticeable difference speed or size. Sliders do some good in EA games but in 2K they change the feel so much.

In 2k8 and 2k10 there's a noticeable difference in super stars and depth players. Top tier players on the right sliders will deke, spin and dangle you but the biggest thing is you can play the same team twice and have a different games according to morale, injuries and difficulty. I always know in NHL 21 if I'm a bottom tier team against top of the league their going to out shoot and probably out score me, so the chance to cause an upset result or steal a win isn't there so much.

Literally if you took EA's drafting scouting, UI and franchise mode added in some 2K8 and 2K10 game play you'd have a pretty solid hockey game.

That said 2K10 goalies are absolute trash on the breakaway but brilliant the rest of the time.

We all have a different opinion! I personally like my hockey games to be close to real life in terms of stats.
Old 11-10-2021, 07:05 PM   #13
Just started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzUK
As many are aware on here my mod team are focusing on an NHL 2K10 modding project at the moment. Should this fail and we cannot deliver what we want we'll defo be looking at other games and options.

In terms of sim and realism which NHL game do people feel last gen is the best representation of ice hockey. I'm going to boot up NHL 10, NHL 14 and 2K8 today and have a play around with sliders, as a lot of top 10 lists have these offerings.

Love to here what you guys think!
I love NHL 2004 rebuilt.
Old 12-25-2022, 09:53 PM   #14
Rookie

Franchise Hockey Manager in my opinion. While not perfect of course, especially when it comes to AI roster management, it still sims realistic results. Plus, it's as deep or deeper than any hockey game on the market.
Old 01-01-2023, 10:51 PM   #15
Rookie

ScottyKnowzzz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
2k3 on the PS2 is still the best hockey game I've played. Or maybe more accurately, the most fun I've had with a hockey game because of its realism.
2K10 is the next closest.

Sent from my MAR-LX3A using Operation Sports mobile app
NHL 2004 for me. Even on an emulator, just watching CPU vs CPU is fun and pretty realistic. The only knock is the fights. Too many non-fighters drop the gloves, bringing the realism down just a bit.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2023, 09:56 PM   #16
MVP

Simple Mathematics's Arena

OVR: 11

NHL 14 with Revamped Rosters
NHL 2k10
NHL 2004 Rebuilt

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games »