Home

Basketball Dynasty Manager (iOS and Android)

This is a discussion on Basketball Dynasty Manager (iOS and Android) within the Other Basketball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-12-2014, 07:53 AM   #17
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: Basketball Dynasty Manager (iOS and Android)

Glad you guys enjoy the game. It's awesome.

The update has certainly made things much tougher, you can still exploit stuff but overall it's tougher.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:24 PM   #18
Rookie

mrgobstopper's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarek
Glad you guys enjoy the game. It's awesome.

The update has certainly made things much tougher, you can still exploit stuff but overall it's tougher.
Yea every game I make I end up in the negatives and can't sign players

------
Sign it Please
http://www.change.org/petitions/2k-p...ke-a-ncaa-game
Old 03-18-2014, 03:15 AM   #19
Pro

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgobstopper
Yea every game I make I end up in the negatives and can't sign players

------
Sign it Please
http://www.change.org/petitions/2k-p...ke-a-ncaa-game

It's pretty tough to maintain a strong team under the salary cap. You sometimes need to make some tough decisions. I just had to trade a 32 year old Kevin Love to make way for an up and coming 21year old power forward. I figured that Love's remaining 2 years at $11million would be too restrictive.

So far through 6 games my new PF is only averaging 11ppg and 6rpg, so it's a short term downgrade for a potential long term benefit. Love was starting to drop skill wise and only averages 14ppg and 10rpg in his final year with the team.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:03 AM   #20
Rookie

cv81's Arena

OVR: 1

Thank you OP as well for this. I have been speaking with the game creator and pushing to share info of his game as well. Cheers
Old 03-24-2014, 03:05 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 7

Love this game so much fun!!

NFL- BUCCS
NBA- MAGIC
NCCAF- FLA
AFGHANISTAN "2011-12" WAR VET

Redzone League
Cleveland Browns
Season 3 (7-9)
Season 4 (1-0)

Jacksonville Jaguars
Season 6 (0-0)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2014, 08:21 AM   #22
Just started!

I made an account to share a document with information about the game but apparently I can not post links yet. I will attempt to bypass this to help you all.

inczetigate dot com / BasketballDM14.pdf
Old 08-29-2015, 09:27 PM   #23
Just started!

Smile Some Tips and Tricks from an experienced player

Hey everyone, I assume you're here because you're having some trouble with Basketball Dynasty Manager 14. I'm not surprised, its a very tough game to succeed in. I myself have restarted the whole thing so many times I've lost count. Now, in this post I will let you in on the tips and tricks that I have discovered through days and days of patient frustration. This post will deal entirely with the main game mode: New Franchise. This game mode is really difficult and because I struggled so much with it before, I want to help others understand how to, hopefully, create a successful new franchise. The things that I will share today will be about the following: how to make best use of the Draft, Signing Free Agents, Trades, Coaches, and most importantly; how to keep your team afloat financially (note that all these topics are in some ways related and may not appear in exactly this order) .

I discovered each of these things with my current new franchise, the Calgary Storm(, rep canadian pride). We are currently in the year 2020 and we are four time consecutive NBA champs so you can see how well these things work.

First off, I'll talk about the Draft. Its the thing that gets you started in the game; your first two players will come from the Draft and in the future, it will become a very useful tool to help strengthen your squad for cheap. I can give you no advice about your very first Draft, just draft the best players possible, but about Drafts later on I have some handy tips. The first one is counter-intuitive: Second Round Draft Picks can be, and usually are, more valuable than First Round Draft Picks. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying go trade all your First Round picks for Second Round picks, the former are still important. However, I tend to find that your First Round pick will get a salary of around 3mil no matter how poor a pick he may be, but your Second Round pick is often paid quite a lot less and can actually do more for you. Let me tell you how.

The reason for this is actually based in Scouting, a vital part of the Draft. You can Scout the first 10-20 players in the Draft to get a good idea of who you may want to pick up with your First Round pick, but oftentimes the Second Round prospects aren't any good. And this is where Scouting comes into play. Scouting is when you go out into the world and look for foreign talent. You are allowed to add 5 players to the Draft. Now, the First Round prospects are not the only good players in the entire world on any given year. Most of the time I find better players when I search abroad. While searching abroad, I have found players who average 20+ points a game, and some even have really good potential as well. An example of this is my player Goran Mars. Goran is Chilean, I scouted him out in 2017 and added him to the Draft because at the time he was a 21 year old 6'10 SF scoring something like 23 points a game in Chilean college ball. I drafted him with the 7th pick in the second round and he went on to become the Rookie of the Year, an AllStar, and he averaged 18 points, 5.6 rebounds, and 3 assists while shooting 43% from the field as a rookie. Not half bad for a Second Round pick up, especially considering that the only way from there was up!

Now, I know that there seems to be a glaring error in what I say, and that is: "well if these players are so good then why don't the other teams draft them?". This is a totally reasonable concern with a kind of sneaky answer. When you add a player to the Draft, no matter how good they may be, they will go into the Undrafted section of the draft. The only team that ever checks out the Undrafted section is you. Thus, you might find the next Lebron James, a 17 year old scoring 30 points a game with A++ potential hiding in some corner of the world, but because you Scouted him out, he is in the Undrafted section and no other team will ever select him. Isn't that great. A few tips on scouting: only scout when you have the maximum 60 scouting hours available, scout everywhere in the world that has High or Very High talent ratings, and don't add a player every time one that is half decent shows up, wait until you find an absolute beast and then add him. This is about all I can tell you about the Draft, hopefully it helps and I haven't put you to sleep or anything.

Now, I'll move on to the topic of Free Agents. These are huge, especially in your first year in the league. You will need to sign at least seven of them in your first year to fill out your squad. My advice about Free Agents is the following: find the undervalued ones, don't be afraid of the 5mil players, and negotiate contracts like you're in a Turkish Bazaar. All of these sound and, to be frank, really are rather obvious, but they must be reiterated. I cannot stress enough how much undervalued players can help your team succeed, and how vital these players are early on to ensure that your franchise stays afloat. If you can find the guy who will give you a solid 15+ points a night and you only have to pay him like 2-3mil, then you've hit the jackpot. I myself discovered this with my very first Free Agent signing for my current franchise: Billy Hoyle. Now some basketball fans may actually know the player: B. Hoyle, but I sure as hell didn't, and the game doesn't either. When I signed Billy, he was 31 years of age and his salary was something like 3.2mil. But, because of his hidden stats, namely 100 Outside Accuracy and 70 Long Range Attempts, he went on to start every game for me and he averaged 17 points, 3.5 assists, and 53% shooting. He has played for me every season since, although lately on the bench because I have one of the best young PGs in the game starting for me. Despite his age and poor value, there has not been a season, no matter how many minutes he played, that he has not averaged 10+ points. For a guy who I now pay only 2.8mil, thats pretty good.

I'll talk next about negotiating player contracts because it is short and easy to do. Getting your best players to pay for less is an integral part of success and in Free Agent signing, you have the best opportunity to do so. When you see a player's contract request as a Free Agent, it is often below what he would ask for if he already had a contract. This allows you to snip of expenses like a surgeon if you negotiate correctly. For this reason, I never re-sign my players while they still have a contract with the team. I wait until they appear during the offseason as players going into Free Agency and this allows me to often times pay them less. We'll take Luke Aldridge as an example, when I traded for him, he came to me with a salary of 10mil. He cost a pretty penny I'll admit. But he was worth it. So when I went to re-sign him during the season, while he still had about a year left on his 10mil contract, I was only able to negotiate it down to about 10.5mil, which is by no means how much I wanted to pay him. So, I didn't re-sign him then and I simply waited until he became a Free Agent. Then, when I went to re-sign him, he still asked for around 10mil, but because he was a Free Agent, I was able to pick him down to a 8mil contract. Thats 2mil extra that I can put toward signing a new player, or perhaps another star contract.

Thirdly, I mentioned the 5mil players. This bit of advice applies mostly to the first time that you sign Free Agents to create your roster. Your objective should be to have a very cheap but efficient roster. In the past, my mistake was thinking that I had to sign really cheap players and not spend much at all on them. This was a huge mistake. As I now realize, you have to sign a fair few good solid players in order to continue in the game. It all has to do with Finance. When I say this, I don't mean go and sign the best players that there are to be found, that is also a fatal mistake. The trick is to sign the players that are just in between, maybe they're five or six guys down the list, maybe deeper, like in the case of B. Hoyle. But what you have to keep in mind, is that you are not going to build a successful franchise if your only signings are 3-4mil players. You are going to have to spend money to get returns. As a general rule, I don't go over the 8 or 9mil mark, especially in the first year, but players around there or just below are crucial to success.

Next up on the chopping block are Trades. Trades are one of the most interesting parts of any manager simulation and they are almost always crucial to success. I have found that, during the first two or three years of gameplay, Trading is more important than Draft picks. Sure a Draft pick is a vital thing, and an easy way to fill out a lineup but, as previously mentioned, First Round Draft picks aren't always as valuable to you as they might appear. However, these First Round picks have more than one use: they are incredibly useful when trying to seal off a trade for a high octane player. Lets take my team, the Calgary Storm, as an example. In my first season, we started out alright, you win some, you lose some, but we weren't winning quite enough to secure ourselves a playoff spot. The First Round of the draft that year didn't look all too promising either. So, I went onto the leaders page for points and I looked at the best possible options to bring in and strengthen my team without putting too much salary on the line. And what I came up with was a 7mil player who was averaging something like 23 points a game. Bingo! And you know what went best? I went and I traded for the undervalued player with my Second Round pick who had absolutely nothing to offer me, and my First Round pick. What I lost was a player averaging something like 3 points, and the chance to grab a half decent rookie, which I could always do with my Second Round picks. What I gained was the 23 ppg 7mil player and another Second Round pick which I would use to grab myself a youngster who is now averaging 21 points a game. Not a half bad deal, right? So what I'm suggesting is to use the Trade function wisely. If you've got an overvalued player, or one who isn't producing, or even a guy who's injured for 40-odd games that you can't win without his contribution, trade them away for someone who will be of more use to you. And if necessary, use some cash or a Draft pick to sweeten the deal. And vice-versa, of course.

One of the most vital steps to running a successful team is having good backroom staff. This is something that they don't really tell you on the developer's hint manual. We'll talk now about the three staff members, the Scout, the Assistant Coach, and the Head Coach. Most startup teams don't have world class staff in their first few years, and rightfully so. But the trick is to find the guys who will get the job done and get it done right.

The Scout is someone who the hint manual mentions as being very important, but in reality, I find him only the second most important staff member. Now the Scout is the one who allows you to find the skills of the rookies in the Draft, and he's the one who allows you to Scout world-wide. So he is very important; without the Scout, your team will have to consist of blind shots in the dark and a lot of Free Agent signings and Trades, which may not always work out in your favor. But with the Scout you can know more about your picks and you can have the data to make that tough decision on whether or not to Trade your First Round pick for a solid player or save it for the hidden superstar in the Draft. A good Scout is cheap as dirt but with high Dedication, to get you the most possible Scouting Hours, and reasonably high Find Talent and Find Potential stats, to get the most out of your hours. The Persuasion stat is also very important for adding that one hidden Argentine gem to the Draft, but often times anything above 30 will get the job done if you ask once or twice.

I personally consider the AC the least important Staff member. However this does not mean that he is worthless, in fact he is very much not. The AC is responsible for training your players. The better his Development stats, the faster your players will develop and the higher they will be able to go. Your starting AC should also be very cheap, and with average stats across the important parts of the board, but later you may want to sign a better, if more expensive one, to help your player development accelerate.

The HC is without question the most important staff member. He is the one who will provide your team with guidance on and off the court, and the one who will help your team win. If you sign no one else, sign a HC. I am going to give you an example. In the 2019 season, the Calgary Storm became NBA Champions for the 4th time running. We lost 6 games all season and 2 in the Playoffs. We were the bomb.com, the best team in the league by eons. Then we started the 2020 season. Basically the same team, we actually brought in two low post scoring beasts with our Second Round picks. But we couldn't win a game. We didn't lose by much mind, and we still won every once in a while, but we rocketed off a Four-peat with a starting record of 7-21. 15th in the standings. I couldn't believe my eyes, I mean, WTF. How had a team that had swept the NBA Finals, winning every game by an average 20+ points, suddenly drop so low? The answer: my HC's contract had expired. We were the headless snake, the toothless lion, the finless shark. We were dead in the water because I, in all my wisdom, had forgotten to sign a new HC. I had experimented with minutes, with defense, with directions. But it all came down to the simple lack of a HC. I promptly brought a fellow on board and we skyrocketed immediately to 51-27, and 4th place in a division topped by a 59-19 Houston Rollers. So don't hesitate, sign a HC. If you don't, you can't hope to be a successful team.

Last, but nowhere near least, is keeping your team afloat financially. This is what is all boils down to. Whether or not you can start with 44mil and build a successful and maintainable franchise. I will admit, it's hard as hell. But I have one single thing that will allow you to do this. Bear in mind that this one single thing is not simple, or easy, if it were the game would be easy. Keep in mind that this one single thing takes everything that I have just told you and puts it to the test, and uses it, and makes you sweat your *** off over sometimes what may appear to be an easy decision. And what is this one single thing? Making the Playoffs. Punto, period, the end, good bye, over. Thats it. Making the Playoffs once will not guarantee that you will have financial stability for all time. You will need to make them multiple times, and you will need to make it far into them, if you hope to have any success whatsoever. Making the Playoffs only guarantees one thing, an extra 2-16 games revenue. And that is all that matters, the extra revenue is what will push your books into the green in your first few seasons, and what will allow you to sign newer and better players in the future. This extra revenue, provided you make it far enough, will allow you to win more, to upgrade your stadium and make more, and to push further into the Playoffs towards the ultimate goal: the Finals. Getting to the Finals guarantees you basically maximum revenue for your team that year. And that is the goal. When you earn maximum profit, you can keep improving your team. If you don't earn enough you will start on a downwards spiral towards financial doom and eventual franchise failure. If you don't earn enough, you will lose. And nobody likes to lose.

Congratulations, you made it through my tips and tricks. You deserve every inch of knowledge you have gained, every wisp of success, every single cent that you and your new, successful franchise will make. I realize that I have written a lot, you have read a lot, and it is hard to take in so much compacted information. But trust in yourself, maybe take a breather and then come back and re-read the guide. Do whatever, I have told you all that I know and it will hopefully be enough to get you and your franchise on your feet running and give you some satisfaction and success in Basketball Dynasty Manager 14.

Good Luck.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:41 PM   #24
Just started!

Re: Some Tips and Tricks from an experienced player

As an add-on to the topic of Financials: Merchandise. Once you get a few years into the game, you might get a hold of a player who has quite high fame. If so, try to save some funds to purchase merchandise for him. The merchandise will sell for about 1.5 times what you bought it for and can really help you make some extra much needed cash. This is coming from the Calgary Storm in the year 2036. In 22 years of existence I have discovered and used all my tips and tricks including this one to win 12 Championship Rings and make one of my PGs the most decorated player in NBA history surpassing even Bill Russell's 11 Rings. Take my advice; it really works.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games »