Home

Inside Drive: The best & most underrated...

This is a discussion on Inside Drive: The best & most underrated... within the Other Basketball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-01-2003, 05:14 PM   #49
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Inside Drive: The best & most underrated...

Quote:

jmood88 said:
Quote:

shpankey said:
The amazing thing about ID 2003 to me is that even after all this time of playing it, the game is still challenging and fun and realistic. No other NBA game has ever been this way for me. Granted I changed a few sliders but it took all of 30 seconds to do that. Set it and forget it.

Like the other guy said, change all the slider in 2k3 or Live you want, and you cant make it a realistic game *AND* still be challenging.

ID (around these parts) has been known to be the most realistic for a long time now. Shame your just now hearing about it (you should hang out at OSF more).

This is the only place that I've ever heard anything about nba inside drive being the most realistic basketball game. I own the game and it is not the most realistic. And if it was a multiplatform game people would get tired of the bad graphics, horrible commentary, and easy threes.

You should see the IGN messageboards then. It has a following over there as well, and I do believe you are very mistaken if you think NBA 2k3 is more realistic. Just because reviews proclaim it as a true sim does not make it so. Most reviews don't even know what they're talking about, and I think a sports board such as this would be a much better authority on what simulates the game of basketball better. Of course, you could simply not like the style ID 2003 has, but it does not make it unrealistic.
Old 08-01-2003, 05:30 PM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 1

Plain and simple id is better than 2k i hate 2k you have to play 12 min qts. just to get an realistic score and stats
Old 08-01-2003, 07:59 PM   #51
Rookie

shpankey's Arena

OVR: 5

It's funny people here would value magazine review scores from almost a year ago, who are known to NOT be sports gamers, which based there reviews off of a very limited play time, over people on a sports dedicated forum who have played multiple season and broke down every tiny nuance of a game.

Point blank, ID is the most authentic NBA basketball game going. It captures the feel, the flow and all the rhythm of an NBA game and how it's played. Teams play you different, and on any given night a team can beat you. No other basketball game I have ever played has captured the essence of the NBA like this game has. And I've been a diehard sports gamer since the Sega Genesis (been playing since the Atari - now 31 with a wife and two kids).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2003, 09:18 PM   #52
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

It's easy to take advantage of all 3 games AI and all 3 games get easy after a while on all the levels. The thing with Live is that it is too easy to take advantage of the AI. In NBA2K3, in order to get a realistic and funner game you have to take advantage of the AI. In ID2003, you don't have to take advantage of the AI to get a better game. I think ID's core gameplay and AI is superior. That's it. All NBA2K3 needs to do to match this is change the CPU AI be smarter while playing D(doubling players, playing players tight or loose) and getting the ball to there star players. Adding new plays wouldn't hurt either. And of course the spacing and post game needs improvement. I still think the presentation, franchise mode, graphics, animations, and solid(not as good as ID's) gameplay w/ the right sliders puts 2K3 narrowly ahead of ID.

I like what ID2004 has done with player models although some of the faces look kinda weird. They won't match 2K4's presentation but they should close the gap. Improve the rebounding, fouling, turnovers, and the player ratings(my friend just scored 30 on me with Steve Kerr shooting nothing but threes on it's highest level) and ID can compete with 2K4.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:27 PM   #53
MVP

OVR: 11

ID 2003's core gameplay along with its AI is superior, I agree with you on that. I just don't agree with you on what makes NBA 2k3 a better game, simply because it isn't IMHO.

NBA2k3's presentation is buggy as hell. Their player of the game selections often make no sense at all. There are times if you sim a game you end up with a TIE. It has lousy ball physics. And that's just the start of its problems.

You seem to think fixing the AI and gameplay are minor things, but they don't seem to be. the NBA 2k franchise has had the same problems from its inception, and since the franchise is built on faulty gameplay, it's a big deal to improve the AI and the actual gameplay, IMHO.

As for complaining about Steve Kerr hitting 3's and ending up with 30, you were playing in a multiplayer game. If all you're going to do is shoot 3's you're either going to score very low or very high, with a good or awful percentage. You should expect extreme results since you're not playing the game the way you would play it as a sim.

I think that's one of its strong points though. ID 2003 doesn't force one style upon you. I know that when my bro and friends play it, it's a completely different experience from playing against the AI. They don't play D, they jack up threes or post up all day long and attack the rim, or just run around trying to dunk the ball. They shoot high percentages then but if they try that stuff in a real game against the AI they get slaughtered. Hell, it takes me a while to adjust to their play style after playing against the AI for so long. It's a completely different experience and shouldn't be representative of what the game's really like.

In any case, if you find Steve Kerr is shooting way too many 3's, lower his stamina or lower the 3-point shooting rating or his own 3-point shooting ability. An easy fix.

Old 08-01-2003, 10:41 PM   #54
Banned

Court_vision's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:

shpankey said:
It's funny people here would value magazine review scores from almost a year ago, who are known to NOT be sports gamers, which based there reviews off of a very limited play time, over people on a sports dedicated forum who have played multiple season and broke down every tiny nuance of a game.

Point blank, ID is the most authentic NBA basketball game going. It captures the feel, the flow and all the rhythm of an NBA game and how it's played. Teams play you different, and on any given night a team can beat you. No other basketball game I have ever played has captured the essence of the NBA like this game has. And I've been a diehard sports gamer since the Sega Genesis (been playing since the Atari - now 31 with a wife and two kids).

Same here in all regards except the two kids...

Old 08-02-2003, 08:10 AM   #55
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:

Rocky said:
It's easy to take advantage of all 3 games AI and all 3 games get easy after a while on all the levels. The thing with Live is that it is too easy to take advantage of the AI. In NBA2K3, in order to get a realistic and funner game you have to take advantage of the AI. In ID2003, you don't have to take advantage of the AI to get a better game. I think ID's core gameplay and AI is superior. That's it. All NBA2K3 needs to do to match this is change the CPU AI be smarter while playing D(doubling players, playing players tight or loose) and getting the ball to there star players. Adding new plays wouldn't hurt either. And of course the spacing and post game needs improvement. I still think the presentation, franchise mode, graphics, animations, and solid(not as good as ID's) gameplay w/ the right sliders puts 2K3 narrowly ahead of ID.

I like what ID2004 has done with player models although some of the faces look kinda weird. They won't match 2K4's presentation but they should close the gap. Improve the rebounding, fouling, turnovers, and the player ratings(my friend just scored 30 on me with Steve Kerr shooting nothing but threes on it's highest level) and ID can compete with 2K4.

You can't compare inside drive's graphics or presentation to nba2k3's. Inside drive's graphics are horrible and there's no presentation to speak of. I will give inside drive this; while the commentary is horrible it's amusing sometimes kevin kalabro sounds like an idiot but he does have some times where he says funny things.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2003, 08:14 AM   #56
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:

neovsmatrix said:
ID 2003's core gameplay along with its AI is superior, I agree with you on that. I just don't agree with you on what makes NBA 2k3 a better game, simply because it isn't IMHO.

NBA2k3's presentation is buggy as hell. Their player of the game selections often make no sense at all. There are times if you sim a game you end up with a TIE. It has lousy ball physics. And that's just the start of its problems.

You seem to think fixing the AI and gameplay are minor things, but they don't seem to be. the NBA 2k franchise has had the same problems from its inception, and since the franchise is built on faulty gameplay, it's a big deal to improve the AI and the actual gameplay, IMHO.

As for complaining about Steve Kerr hitting 3's and ending up with 30, you were playing in a multiplayer game. If all you're going to do is shoot 3's you're either going to score very low or very high, with a good or awful percentage. You should expect extreme results since you're not playing the game the way you would play it as a sim.

I think that's one of its strong points though. ID 2003 doesn't force one style upon you. I know that when my bro and friends play it, it's a completely different experience from playing against the AI. They don't play D, they jack up threes or post up all day long and attack the rim, or just run around trying to dunk the ball. They shoot high percentages then but if they try that stuff in a real game against the AI they get slaughtered. Hell, it takes me a while to adjust to their play style after playing against the AI for so long. It's a completely different experience and shouldn't be representative of what the game's really like.

In any case, if you find Steve Kerr is shooting way too many 3's, lower his stamina or lower the 3-point shooting rating or his own 3-point shooting ability. An easy fix.

How is the presentation buggy? Whenever I play games my player of the game is whoever did the best. And, I've never simulated a game that has ended in a tie, this never happens. Have you really played the game? You say that you've played it but by the comments you've made it sounds like you're just making stuff up.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games »