Home

For those with Live AND 2k9..a question.

This is a discussion on For those with Live AND 2k9..a question. within the Other Basketball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-09-2008, 07:00 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: For those with Live AND 2k9..a question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e0820
I prefer a Sim type game but found NBA2k8 too hard (meaning any team can just score on me at will and I miss constantly) is NBA2k9 easier as far as defending? Or would Live be a better pick?
Yeah 2k is real hard, thats why I got NBA 09 the inside this year as well. Ive been playin it constantly the learning curve on it is way easier and its just a lot of fun. It also has some cool sh*t like conquest mode, mini games and my personal favorite the life. Which is just too much fun IMO.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2008, 07:07 PM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 3

I'm not trying to turn this into a live vrs 2k because i actually like both, but you dont need to have a ridiculous basketball iq to understand what going on in nba 2k i mean my 11 yr old brother doesnt know squat bout basketball and was pretty good in 2k8, the only thing different bout both games is 2k has stroger animations, and the controls in 2k especially this year arent as user friendly as lives.

And i no I'm gonna get some hate for saying this but I'm just keeping it real 2k9 out the box with out touching sliders plays at times like a straight up arcade, the game can straight up become a highlight reel with alleys every where and superstars and even bench warmers playing like gods.

Last edited by thereal31; 10-09-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:54 PM   #43
MVP

Bill_Abner's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
And that surprises you? This guy has a history of being an EA *****. IMO
I do?

I just gave NHL 09 a B+
Raved over Head Coach 09
Loved the past 2 FIFAs
Absolutely love Tiger
Was pissed when MVP was killed.

I do think Madden and NCAA have underachieved of late (I'm not alone on that front) but I don't see how that places me in the ***** camp.

Anyway, 2K9 is the more polished game visually but I have really only just started playing it.

NBA Live is far, far better than it has been since NBA Live 2000. But it's not there yet. The AI is a bit weak on defense, particularly in the post, as it refuses to adapt to what you're doing and the animations are still too stiff. Much better game that is moving in the right direction, but I'd rather play NBA 2K8 -- let alone 2K9. I think the Live devs just had too much to do in one cycle to get where 2K is when it comes to basketball. Again, this is assuming 2K9 continues where 2K8 left off.

Editor in Chief Gameshark.Com
http://www.gameshark.com
Old 10-09-2008, 11:10 PM   #44
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowpuppet
Yeah 2k is real hard, thats why I got NBA 09 the inside this year as well. Ive been playin it constantly the learning curve on it is way easier and its just a lot of fun. It also has some cool sh*t like conquest mode, mini games and my personal favorite the life. Which is just too much fun IMO.
I was thinking about NBA 09, I like the shooting meter. I think it gives me some kind of control over what 2k9 and Live have. 2k9 I think I will skip this year on console (maybe Ill get the PC version) its just too difficult - I played NBA2k8 just to see if I could get the hang of it and was down by 9 before I could blink. Last game I remember that I had fun with was Live 06 (PC). This year its all about fun, I dont think I have been able to finish a basketball season since TV Sports Basketball on Amiga. Something usually happens that pisses me off or I just feel like I am getting cheated.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:30 AM   #45
Rookie

Zeekesimo's Arena

OVR: 4

I think once video games become too real, they are no longer fun. You guys go on and on about how sports games are not real enough for you, but once somebody nails it to being so real, it no longer becomes a game. Yes, a little realism is good, but complete reality would make sports games no longer entertaining.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2008, 11:17 AM   #46
Rookie

marc68's Arena

OVR: 7

Thanks for all the input. It seems like the problems in 2k9 can be fixed with slider adjustments...Live according to Pasta Padre, not so much.

I had 2k8 and like all 2k b-ball games it takes some time to adjust and become competitive.

I think 2k9 will be this way, after a few blowouts you slowly learn the game and finally become competitive.

I just played both demos again, and too me you seem to have more control of your players in 2k9. In Live they seem a little .....spastic, for lack of a better term.

I guess now its payday (woo-hoo) I want to pick one up....leaning 60-40 towards 2K9.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:20 AM   #47
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

You really cant go wrong either way but you definitely have better control in Live.

Again though, its hard to be disappointed with whatever choice you make unless you're just some nitpick or over expect.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:17 PM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by e0820
I was thinking about NBA 09, I like the shooting meter. I think it gives me some kind of control over what 2k9 and Live have. 2k9 I think I will skip this year on console (maybe Ill get the PC version) its just too difficult - I played NBA2k8 just to see if I could get the hang of it and was down by 9 before I could blink. Last game I remember that I had fun with was Live 06 (PC). This year its all about fun, I dont think I have been able to finish a basketball season since TV Sports Basketball on Amiga. Something usually happens that pisses me off or I just feel like I am getting cheated.
Yeah I know what you mean, things are going good in a season and then before you know it you dropped 6 straight games and the likes of Rodney Carney is putting 45 on you...sorry I'm still a little bitter haha. But yeah NBA 09 is real fun and the shot meter really makes you feel like you do have more control. It offers a lot more than the other games with features which is cool,cuz there are a lot of things you can play besides your season just in case you are getting cheesed. Also the life mode is real cool, check out the site on it, www.stepinsidethelife.com , Their isnt really a ton of buzz about this game which is weird considering it got the same rating as live on IGN.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games »