Home

Looking for a text based college PC game called "Hoops"

This is a discussion on Looking for a text based college PC game called "Hoops" within the Other Basketball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-27-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Looking for a text based college PC game called "Hoops"

Way back when in a copy of Sports Illustrated they had an article about two guys, Jeff Sagarin and Wayne Winston making a text-based collegiate basketball game called "Hoops." I bought a copy of it and even recall getting a couple of "seasons" worth of it. Fit easily on a 5.25 floppy disc.

Wondering if there is anyway to get that old game? I am actually looking for the versions that came out when it first came out. My brother was on one of the teams that was in the game and I thought it might be cool to dig it out again and see if we could get him to score (we never could back in the day.)

Here is a link to SI's site for more information if it jogs anyone's memory.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.c...6985/index.htm

Thanks!

Steve
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2008, 01:48 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Looking for a text based college PC game called "Hoops"

Jeff's email address is jsagarin @ att . biz. He provided some team information for the free game Stellar College Basketball, which is basically a snazzier version of Hoops. If you email the Stellar College Basketball guys and send them stats, they'll probably make whatever team you want. www . stellarcollegebballgame . com.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:18 AM   #3
Banned

Bobolini's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr1968
Way back when in a copy of Sports Illustrated they had an article about two guys, Jeff Sagarin and Wayne Winston making a text-based collegiate basketball game called "Hoops." I bought a copy of it and even recall getting a couple of "seasons" worth of it. Fit easily on a 5.25 floppy disc.

Wondering if there is anyway to get that old game? I am actually looking for the versions that came out when it first came out. My brother was on one of the teams that was in the game and I thought it might be cool to dig it out again and see if we could get him to score (we never could back in the day.)

Here is a link to SI's site for more information if it jogs anyone's memory.

http://<br /> http://vault.sportsil...6985/index.htm

Thanks!

Steve

Yes, I remember this game and actually talked to the developer. I used to hex edit players to acheive different results. That goes way back. 1984 I believe... Would love to get a copy burned onto a disk. Oh, Billy Packer did the defensive ratings.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
Rookie

Did you ever get what you needed with regard to this game? I have it, and enjoyed playing it.

Gary
Old 03-14-2009, 03:14 PM   #5
Rookie

PLEASE tell me if you were able to find this game. I loved his game, unfortunately it was stolen from me in college in the early 90s. Anyway, I have been looking for it, hopefully a version that can be used on a modern system, ever since. I looked at the stellar college basketball game site, and it is good, but it only has current teams and 70 classics. Hoops had every relevant team ever, like Barkley's '84 Auburn team for example. Hundreds and hundreds of older teams, including any team that ever made the final four like '87 Providence.

Anyway, please email me at [email protected] if you know anything. Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2009, 11:04 AM   #6
Rookie

I used to have Hoops, but it went missing. Stellar College Basketball www.stellarcollegebballgame.com is getting more teams all the time, I think around 300 at this point, but still not as many as Hoops had.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:51 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

Did anybody have any luck tracking down the "Hoops" text-based game that Jeff Sagarin and Wayne Winston developed? I'd love to find it. Yes, it wasn't much, but it was fun. I sent an email to both Sagarin and Winston and got no reply.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:11 PM   #8
Rookie

Stellar College Basketball has got quite a few more teams than before. Over 180 classic teams, including 1984 Auburn and 1987 Providence.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games »