Home

Best ps2 baseball game?

This is a discussion on Best ps2 baseball game? within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
MVP

swaldo's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Best ps2 baseball game?

I don't think he's kidding. I dont have the PS2 version of Yakyuu but the PSP version looks great so I can imagine how nice the PS2 would look.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:13 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotoriousReignz
Well at 1st you made it sound like PYS 10 for PS2 was as good as, or better than PYS 10 for PS3 graphics wise.

Obviously Sony shifted their focus off of the PS2 version of MLB years ago. Can't really blame them since the console is 10 years old now.
Well the ps2 console itself isn't 10 years old. because the ps2 has been upgraded and upgraded and upgraded. the original fat ps2 is really a different inferior machine than the newer ps2s. the problems is that most, but not all, developers have started only releasing some games on 360 and PS3, and others only one Wii. But some developers, like Konami and EA to their credit still put out PS2 games.

Really there is no reason why the PS2 should die. It may, it may not. Who knows. They've been saying this is the last year of the PS2 for 3 or 4 years now, but it hasn't happened. I'll be buying SvR 2011 on PS2 this year.

But, anyway, the one thing about the PS2 is that it's a damn reliable console. Yeah it's more reliable than the 360 has shown to be. The PS2 also is a great performing gaming machine. it can play 11 on 11 plus referees in sports games without a hitch in frame rate if designed properly. Some games, like madden and ncaa, are made better on the PS2 than they are on the 360 and PS3.

And PS2 games through S-Video look better than Wii games through composite, so figure that one out but it's true. I'll be playing PS2 for a long time regardless of whether they keep making games for PS2, but having never played the PS3 version of PYS, i have no desire to play it on PS3 as long as they make it on PS2. They really upgraded the look and feel of the PS2 version of PYS2010. Anyone with a PS2 would be a fool to not buy that version. Yeah it's lower resolution than PS3, but it's not as drastic of a difference as you think. The color palette has been reworked for PYS2010 on the PS2 and it's an absolute pleasure to play.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #11
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaldo
I don't think he's kidding. I dont have the PS2 version of Yakyuu but the PSP version looks great so I can imagine how nice the PS2 would look.
And I was very impressed with the PSP version, but it is inferior to the PS2 version for obvious reasons. First the sensitivity of the analog stick and the extra shoulder buttons when compared to the PSP version. The sensitivity of the analog stick always me to play with analog control on PS2 where it's too hard to do that on PSP.

The thing about the PSP version is it's good and polished, but it's missing things like USA Stadium that are in the PS2 version and PS3 version. Besides online, the PS2 version is nearly identical to the PS3 version, with as much if not more polish. Because the developers are just learning the PS3 console, they are more familiar with the PS2 console. That's why games like PYS5 and PYS6 had graphical issues on the PS3 versions that weren't present on the PS2 version. (like black screens for 5-10 seconds in the middle of a game, stuff like that) So to answer the question of the best ps2 baseball game, to me it's clearly PYS2010. Yeah PYS2010 is better than MVP Baseball 2005. It's better than MVP NCAA 06 and 07, and it's better than any version of the Show on PS2. It's also arguably the best looking of any game. It's that good. It's important to point this out, specifically in regards to the PS2 version of PYS2010, because the PS2 version isn't getting as much love around here as the PS3 version, mainly because people go for the PS3 version if they have a PS3. I challenge anyone to buy the PS2 version of PYS2010 and after playing it make a conclusion as to what is the best PS2 baseball game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2010, 03:30 AM   #12
MVP

swaldo's Arena

OVR: 20

That's amazing. If the PS2 version is on par with the PS3 version then all you need is PYS, NFL 2K5, PES 5 soccer (in US it's called Winning Eleven 9) and you'll have the best sports gaming available. Heck, even the current versions of Madden on PS2 have better gameplay than next gen, just use the sliders in my avatar. Or you can go back and buy Madden 04 or 05 which are regarded as the best overall (see manifesto in my avatar as well.)

Long live the PS2, it must never die!

Last edited by swaldo; 08-22-2010 at 03:33 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:41 AM   #13
MVP

duke776's Arena

OVR: 28

Simgamer0005, I have a question about the ps2 version. I've always been interested in trying PYS out, but have always wondered if I need anything special to play the game on my ps2. Or are ps2 games region free? I don't know much about this stuff, so any help is appreciated.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:08 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 46

thanks guys
so far i am leaning towards mvp 2005.
based on the wealth of features and the fact thats its cool to play with older rosters.
yes i actually dont mind that!
Old 08-22-2010, 11:43 PM   #15
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke776
Simgamer0005, I have a question about the ps2 version. I've always been interested in trying PYS out, but have always wondered if I need anything special to play the game on my ps2. Or are ps2 games region free? I don't know much about this stuff, so any help is appreciated.
PS2 games aren't region free, but with swap magic (i use version 3.8) you can boot up the PS2 with the swap magic disc, then when it prompts you, you can swap in a disc from any region and hit play. The swap disc method I think is easier with older PS2s, but the OpenPS2Loader method works on even the newest PS2s without any need to even modify the slightest thing. To use the disc swap method, you need to buy a few plastic pieces that you put near the spring and power button that allow you to open the PS2 disc tray without it resetting.

What I do to play PS2 games out of region is by using something called OpenPS2Loader. I use version 0.6. OpenPS2Loader basically is an ELF file that you can load through either swap magic or through ULaunch (a 3rd party file manager through PS2). you burn the game disc to a local or external hard drive and you can load games that way.

It sounds complicated but it's really not. The great thing about OpenPS2Loader is that games are saved to an external hard drive so you don't have to worry about the PS2 laser burning out as fast.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2010, 12:23 AM   #16
MVP

duke776's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by simgamer0005
PS2 games aren't region free, but with swap magic (i use version 3.8) you can boot up the PS2 with the swap magic disc, then when it prompts you, you can swap in a disc from any region and hit play. The swap disc method I think is easier with older PS2s, but the OpenPS2Loader method works on even the newest PS2s without any need to even modify the slightest thing. To use the disc swap method, you need to buy a few plastic pieces that you put near the spring and power button that allow you to open the PS2 disc tray without it resetting.

What I do to play PS2 games out of region is by using something called OpenPS2Loader. I use version 0.6. OpenPS2Loader basically is an ELF file that you can load through either swap magic or through ULaunch (a 3rd party file manager through PS2). you burn the game disc to a local or external hard drive and you can load games that way.

It sounds complicated but it's really not. The great thing about OpenPS2Loader is that games are saved to an external hard drive so you don't have to worry about the PS2 laser burning out as fast.
Alright, thanks man. I'm not gonna pick it up yet(I'm going off to school and won't have ps2 with me), but when I get back I definitely want to pick this up. I've always wanted to give PYS a try, but I wasn't sure what I needed for it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »