Home

MLB Power Pros - Reviews

This is a discussion on MLB Power Pros - Reviews within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-16-2007, 02:15 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 8
MLB Power Pros - Reviews

It took a while, but there's a couple of reviews out now for the game. Here's a quick rundown:

IGN - 8.4/10 (Wii)
Quote:
The gameplay is arcade-like and simplistic, but still a strong enough balance of pure pitching, fielding, and batting. You aren’t losing the control you get in new MLB games; you’re just loosing the complicated feel of more recent next-generation controls that – quite frankly – don’t need to be there. Baseball doesn’t need guess pitch systems, golf-meter sliding bars, or overly-intricate base running to be good. MLB Power Pros balances simple, classic controls with tons of customization, a fun-loving style, and more bang for your buck than the majority of sports games out there. It’s hands-down the best baseball game on Wii, and a no-brainer for sports fans.
Cheat Code Central - 4.5/5 (Wii)
Quote:
MLB Power Pros is a great game. From the ultra-engrossing success mode to the unexpectedly deep season mode, there's a lot to love about this game. I'm very proud of 2K for localizing this game and finally bringing this Japanese hit stateside. Sure, it was a risk, but I think it paid off in the form of a unique and memorable sports title. If you give this one a chance, I'm almost certain you will enjoy it.
Gamespy - 4/5 (PS2)
Quote:
MLB Power Pros is an excellent alternative to the other baseball games on the market, especially friendly to those who aren't very keen on sports but who may enjoy the strategic options that the game offers up. The RPG is delightful to play, and the game's visual style is an excellent way to attract friends to the game who may otherwise want to pass on anything sports-related. After all, who can pass up on watching 'lil Manny Ramirez, or the most adorable Big Papi you've ever seen knocking balls over the fence? There are more in-depth options available, of course, and obviously more impressive-looking games from a technical standpoint. But MLB Power Pros is a lot of fun, and quite accessible. That the game has just enough depth to satisfy a baseball fan's need for stats and realism is just icing on the cake.
GamesRadar - 8/10 (Wii)
Quote:
As you can tell, this is not your average baseball game. That may be what makes MLB Power Pros such a refreshing change of pace. While hardcore baseball fans may be turned off by its cutesy style, MLB Power Pros is fun, and that's what matters. Give it a swing.
Gameshark - A- (Wii) (Metacritic lists it as a 91/100)
Quote:
MLB Power Pros is a must-own baseball game. The price is a bargain ($39 for Wii) and you could be playing this game alone all the way to next opening day.
AtomicGamer - 90/100 (Wii)
Quote:
Overall, Power Pros is one of the most complete baseball games out there and, provided the super-deformed character looks don't bug you, there's a lot of fun to be had here. This is one of the most “complete” games on the Wii to date – and at only 40 bucks instead of the normal 50 dollar price point.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2007, 03:45 PM   #2
MVP

ComfortablyLomb's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: MLB Power Pros - Reviews

Hopefully it sells well enough to prompt another version at some point. This game really doesn't need to be a once a year type of sports game. I could see myself playing the current edition for quite a while. Even more hopeful is that the next version is a step up, this game is already very good.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:01 PM   #3
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

I'm a bit surprised that reviews are so positive.

But I'm happy. Maybe it'll help Brinkman and 2k improve MLB 2k and look at Power Pros as an example of the things that people love about baseball.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 10-16-2007, 05:32 PM   #4
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

The only hope I have for the next version (if there is one) is to make the game a bit more intuitive in terms of navigation and menus go....
Old 10-16-2007, 06:24 PM   #5
Rookie

1up.com just posted their review.

1up.com - 8.5/10 (Wii)
Quote:
Baseball's biggest surprise this season isn't the Colorado Rockies winning nearly every game they've played down the stretch and in the playoffs -- it's that the best baseball game of the season just came out. MLB 2K7 on Xbox 360 and PS3 looks the part, MLB 07: The Show on PS2 plays it, but MLB Power Pros is a kiddie-styled import that comes out of left field all the way from the Far East and topples the perennial powers.

Last edited by XiaNaphryz; 10-16-2007 at 06:53 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2007, 06:40 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 17

I think this proves that people what games that are easy to get into but play close to their sport.

And good AI, with responsive controls and decent graphics are most important that great graphics, poor AI.

Maybe Konami will make an NFL game.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:53 PM   #7
Rookie

Forgot the PS2 review:

1up.com - 8.5/10 (PS2)
Quote:
There's no question the PS2's sports outlook is bleak; most games are trending toward roster updates as the main addition, leaving the gameplay as is. But MLB Power Pros rallies to make the system briefly relevant again, though we're crossing our fingers this hits the PS3 and 360 next season.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:22 AM   #8
Rookie

Gamespot - 8/10 (PS2, Wii)
Quote:
The PS2 version costs 10 dollars less, while the Wii version offers slightly quicker load times and lets you save your data to the system memory. Otherwise, both versions of the game look, sound, and play the same. Much ado has been made about the Wii version's support for the remote's motion-sensing capability, but it's really not that compelling of a feature since it's restricted to exhibition games and home run derbies. Simply put, get the game for whichever system you play the most. It's a fantastic choice for anyone in the market for a fun-loving alternative to all of the other hardball sims out there, and one that doesn't skimp on statistical and physical realism in its pursuit of goofiness.
OperationSports review - 9/10 (Wii)
Quote:
Many avoided this game due to the look, and I was almost one of them. After a bunch of games and trying almost every game mode, I can say without a doubt, this is my favorite baseball game of the year. The Show is great, no question, but it takes about an hour to complete a game. I get into MLB Power Pros and whip through a game in 20 minutes. Sure, I don't have to warm up bullpen pitchers, but is it really that important? How annoying is it when you've forgotten to warm up a pitcher and then they come in cold? Come on, I know I'm not the only one to ever do that!

I know the forums may explode with those comments, but as I've gotten older, games have been more and more about fun. This game just combines the two - fun and realism. If you are a baseball fan, and you own a Wii (it's also on the PS2, but I have not played that version), this is a must own. If 2K Sports could figure out how to put all of the features and gameplay from this title to their flagship MLB2K series, then they would be gold. Until then, play MLB Power Pros and be happy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »