Home

Baseball Replay Sims on PC (Strat, Action! PC, etc.)

This is a discussion on Baseball Replay Sims on PC (Strat, Action! PC, etc.) within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 07-28-2022, 11:32 PM   #1
Cod
MVP

Cod's Arena

OVR: 10
Baseball Replay Sims on PC (Strat, Action! PC, etc.)

When purchasing seasons for the digital games like Strat Baseball and Action PC baseball, do you have to repurchase the specific seasons every time a new base game is released? For example, if I purchase the base game of either and the 1911 baseball season, I don't want to ever purchase the 1911 season again. Obviously this is how it works with the cards for the board game, but unsure how it works with the digital versions.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2022, 04:46 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Baseball Replay Sims on PC (Strat, Action! PC, etc.)

No, once you purchase a season for either game, it does not have to be purchased for future game versions. I do know that sometimes Strat produces updated season versions that will need to be repurchased if you want it to be totally compatible with the lastest game options, but this is rare, and you can still use the older season version, but without the current game options.

For example, for Strat, their 1972 season was recently updated with deluxe-super advanced rules. This includes rating players for ballpark hitting/pitching, and clutch hitting/pitching factors. Also stealing, wild pitches, passed balls, and pickoffs were improved.

Like I said, you can still use and play using your old season purchase without these new options. I've always thought the original season options were well done anyway, so a new season purchase was not necessary.

I hope this helps. Both Strat and Action are great games in their own right, so you can't go wrong with either purchase.
Old 07-29-2022, 06:28 PM   #3
Cod
MVP

Cod's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrien13
No, once you purchase a season for either game, it does not have to be purchased for future game versions. I do know that sometimes Strat produces updated season versions that will need to be repurchased if you want it to be totally compatible with the lastest game options, but this is rare, and you can still use the older season version, but without the current game options.

For example, for Strat, their 1972 season was recently updated with deluxe-super advanced rules. This includes rating players for ballpark hitting/pitching, and clutch hitting/pitching factors. Also stealing, wild pitches, passed balls, and pickoffs were improved.

Like I said, you can still use and play using your old season purchase without these new options. I've always thought the original season options were well done anyway, so a new season purchase was not necessary.

I hope this helps. Both Strat and Action are great games in their own right, so you can't go wrong with either purchase.
This helps a ton! Thanks!

From watching people play the digital games and reading articles, I think I'm going to pick up Action! PC Baseball. All of the seasons and base game are on sale right now. I really like Strat as a board game, but I've read that Strat digital has a tough time handling extremes in either direction. Plus, not sure I like having to pay extra for cards, color ballparks, etc.
Old 07-29-2022, 07:46 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod
This helps a ton! Thanks!

From watching people play the digital games and reading articles, I think I'm going to pick up Action! PC Baseball. All of the seasons and base game are on sale right now. I really like Strat as a board game, but I've read that Strat digital has a tough time handling extremes in either direction. Plus, not sure I like having to pay extra for cards, color ballparks, etc.
Strat is definitely more expensive, especially if you include the cards, color ballparks, and past seasons. But there are also good reasons for their higher price. Strat, I believe, puts more time and has more realistic subjective ratings for things like defense (fielding/arms), baserunning (you can be a good base stealer, but a bad baserunner, or vice versa), etc. Also, since they've been around since the 60's, many of their past seasons were done when the teams and players were competing, so they don't go back and have to pull ratings out of a formula (or out of the air) which many of today's competitors do.

As for handling extremes, Strat has formulas built into their computer game that deviate from their cards so that outliers (like Greg Maddox with minimal walks) perform more realistically.

Like I said, both are great games. I like Action PC for their game engine, but Strat for its accuracy. If you can afford both, like I can, adjusting the Action PC game with Strat subjective ratings brings the ultimate game.
Old 07-30-2022, 11:28 AM   #5
Cod
MVP

Cod's Arena

Thanks again for the detailed info. I think to start, I'm going to go with Action PC because I can get the deluxe game (base + 10 seasons) for $55 as it's on sale right now. If I enjoy it, I may pick up Strat in the future.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2023, 10:18 AM   #6
Rookie

OReilly10's Arena

OVR: 7

I know I am very late to the topic..

But wanted to add a couple things.

Action PC will give you bang for your buck in affordability and sales. It is much cheaper to accumulate many seasons. It is a good looking and smooth game with a good stats package.
The problem for me is the closed game engine. I like to emulate a cards/dice experience for sim games like this.

Strat O Matic is much more expensive. I do feel like they have a lot of hours put in for research, players are rated extensively and accurately (the CPU version rosters provide every player who stepped onto the field). You can emulate the table top game for Advanced and Super Advanced with a lot of options to turn on or off. You can also add some additional options that do things under the hood if you want a more realistic experience (but dont mind sacrificing the C&D port). You can also manually enter if you play a game off the computer with your own physical cards/game, or even roll yourself and enter the dice rolls for results.
Another thing is Strat O Matic seems to have very accurate As-Played lineups cooked in and automated. I have tried Action PC and noticed a few errors in the past which required me to go through every lineup methodically which was a lot of work.
My biggest complaint with Strat O Matic is the CPU version is very archaic. If you are somewhat savvy and are willing to research and watch a couple youtube videos, you can really enhance the presentation a great bit. But still, the interface and some mechanical elements bring me back to something that used Windows 95.

An alternate (underrated, but Great! product to consider is PC Replay Baseball, or Replay Baseball in board game version. It is a terrific game that off-shot out of APBA at some point. It is a visually appealing game, a great C&D engine.
Old 09-30-2023, 05:19 PM   #7
Cod
MVP

Cod's Arena

Agree. Strat's digital offerings have always been a little behind in more ways than one in my opinion. I've played around with Diamond Mind some and really love the results, but like Strat, the UI is not very pleasing and I'm not a fan of the closed engine.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »