Home

Work From Home (WFH) Thread

This is a discussion on Work From Home (WFH) Thread within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-21-2020, 05:19 PM   #1
All Star

OVR: 13
Work From Home (WFH) Thread

I thought rather than hijack other threads, enough of us are doing this now during the pandemic (and may continue to do so for the foreseeable future) that it was worth its own thread. No agenda or guidance on where this thread should go.

I guess I'll start...how are you all doing with working from home? Anyone looking forward to going back in to the office?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2020, 10:27 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Work From Home (WFH) Thread

I'm a teacher teaching from home. it's significantly less work. It's going better than I expected as far as kids participating and doing the work. But its still nowhere near real school and I hate it.

Our governor said recently he expects us to go back in the fall but could be restrictions. There's lots of things being talked about. What ones actually get put into place and how is going to be very interesting.

But I badly want to go back
Old 05-22-2020, 12:16 PM   #3
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets
I'm a teacher teaching from home. it's significantly less work. It's going better than I expected as far as kids participating and doing the work. But its still nowhere near real school and I hate it.

Our governor said recently he expects us to go back in the fall but could be restrictions. There's lots of things being talked about. What ones actually get put into place and how is going to be very interesting.

But I badly want to go back
Man mine was a lot more work. Trying to modify lesson plans for online. Taking attendance through assignments turned in. Essentially anything we would've done in class as an activity turned into a writing assignment that had to have feedback. There was a lot more grading than normal for me.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Operation Sports mobile app

Watch me play video games
Old 05-22-2020, 12:37 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
Man mine was a lot more work. Trying to modify lesson plans for online. Taking attendance through assignments turned in. Essentially anything we would've done in class as an activity turned into a writing assignment that had to have feedback. There was a lot more grading than normal for me.

I should have phrased it as for me it's significantly less work. I think most teachers feel as you do.

For me, reasons its been less work:
-My school was already 1:1, I already use google classroom a lot and normally put probably half the assignments online anyway

-A couple weeks in our school created a schedule we're supposed to follow which basically told us to really only assign work 3 days a week, so we get 2 days a week that are basically prep time all day. So I do have to spend more time grading, emailing, modifying lessons, but I also get way more time to do it.

-We don't have to do attendance or anything. There is a schedule the kids are supposed to follow, but we're also supposed to be extremely flexible so less than half the kids follow it but as long as they do the work at some point its fine.

But yea, my colleagues who also have their own kids at home are overwhelmed. Elementary teachers who didn't use technology really or have kids have chromebooks before are struggling. And theres' definitely other situations that would make it a lot more work.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:51 PM   #5
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

Another teacher. We are a 1:1 tech school but not all our kids had reliable internet access. We gave 2 assignments per week and instructed not to have penalties for being late. Also, no zeroes -- 50 is lowest grade. And, no student can get a final grade less than what they had before covid shutdown. Of my 35 or so students , 5 essentially did no work. 6 improved their grade.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2020, 04:01 PM   #6
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEC0CK2002
Another teacher. We are a 1:1 tech school but not all our kids had reliable internet access. We gave 2 assignments per week and instructed not to have penalties for being late. Also, no zeroes -- 50 is lowest grade. And, no student can get a final grade less than what they had before covid shutdown. Of my 35 or so students , 5 essentially did no work. 6 improved their grade.
Yeah I heard about other places doing that. We all kept up grading as usual. I had 7 kids withdraw in the final date they could, had about 7 others that failed out of my 80 or so kids that finished the semester. Counting the withdrawals, who were all falling, it was a slightly higher percentage than usual for my classes. Overall though our students did pretty well moving to online.

Watch me play video games
Old 05-25-2020, 09:11 PM   #7
Working for the weekend

Herky's Arena

OVR: 32

I do IT support for John Deere and am usually based in a 5 floor office style building. For the last 1.5 months I’ve been working from home since that office is 90 percent working from home. They let myself or the other IT guy on site pick who wanted to work from home and he didn’t want to do I am.

Not a lot of work to be done right now since it’s slow. However I do like it and when I do get a remote ticket I have less distractions.

My wife is working from home as well and our kid goes to daycare still.

Iowa Hawkeyes
Northern Iowa Panthers
Minnesota Vikings
Chicago Cubs
Minnesota Twins
Boston Celtics
Minnesota Timberwolves
Old 05-26-2020, 06:05 PM   #8
All Star

OVR: 13

We're starting to talk about how we're going to phase people back into the office, but I know a lot of places will probably be some form of remote for the rest of the year. I think the issue is once you let people do their own thing at home, it's hard to wrangle them back again. It's sort of like, How ya gonna keep 'em down on the city after they've seen the farm? LOL

My suspicion is that while a lot of companies have been forced into the remote work situation and have been surprised by how well its worked, I think as time goes on, they are going to see productivity drop. Most people I know are really self-motivated and do a good job without as much supervision, but all it takes is for 5-10% of the workforce to start getting a little too comfortable with taking liberties with the limited oversight and it ruins it for everyone.

With regard to all the teachers on here, I just can't imagine the virtual thing works for much longer. Let's hope it's semi-normal by fall.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »