Home

News that make you say WTF?

This is a discussion on News that make you say WTF? within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-05-2022, 02:01 AM   #2009
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: News that make you say WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleCrown9
I WTF'ed pretty hard hearing about that Indonesian soccer riot that killed at least 127 people last week.

I thought NewsBreak made a mistake when I first got the update. That didn't seem possible. Sad stuff
Old 10-06-2022, 06:25 AM   #2010
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
Not sure the US law, but in Canada there might soon be a law allowing merchants to charge an extra fee to those using credit cards.

Not sure the exact specifics, but this sounds like a good way to lose business.

If I'm deciding between buying an item, whether it be food or just regular shopping, and find out one place is gonna charge an extra fee vs the other, I'd likely go to the other.

Does this also mean people are allowed paying with cash? I know some places have switched to debit/credit only, so are you allowed doing that while forcing the credit fees on people?

It's annoying enough with companies asking for tips on an in person purchase (whether it be picking up fast food or just buying groceries), but now charging EXTRA ontop of purchases?

This is getting ticketmaster level of bad where its somehow costing you MORE money to not be buying in person with cash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls
I'm not aware of any laws in the US that make this distinction, but I do know of some businesses that do offer a "discount" (or an advertised price) when paying by cash/check/debit. I really only see it from small businesses and some government websites, but tt's very annoying when that happens. I can't begin to imagine how onerous that would be on consumers if it became widespread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob
I've been to local businesses that charge the fee to cover the transaction fee. It's not really a big deal to me when it's the small local businesses. I don't see the difference between that versus them rising the price to cover it. At least they're upfront about it.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
My first post had some innacuracies so I wanted to just re do it all together.

It IS legal to charge a surcharge in the US on credit purchases (not debit - and that is where it get's weird).

That said the guidelines for from the major card companies that allow it are very restricting and most of the businesses we see it in (small businesses like Bob said) don't follow those guidelines and are most likely doing it wrong.

For years it wasn't even permitted in Visa and Mastercards TOS. They changed their mind on that when they wanted to raise their prices.

That said, I've seen what they're charged for us to use our card and it's not a big deal. If I go to a store and make a $5 purchase with a card that store is either breaking even or losing money on that transaction when all is said and done with the fees they are assessed.

I also read a bit about the law passing in Canada. It wasn't something they just all of a sudden decided to do. It was the result of a class action lawsuit by business in Canada that they won which caused the change. (If you own a business in Canada and accept cards you're owed $600 by the way).

That said, it's not much, help them out. These merchant companies charge a fortune for them to take card payments and the problem isn't surcharges happening, it's how much it costs the stores we buy stuff from to allow us to use a card instead of having to carry cash.
It's regularly used at gas stations in certain states. I guess technically you are getting a discount but the discount is over the 3-4% that they are charged for even a high transaction fee.

I guess it's to get you to come inside and buy something else since you can't pay cash outside. I hate it when I'm in those states as it's really hard to fill the tank when prepaying.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2022, 02:26 AM   #2011
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

https://www.tmz.com/2022/10/20/dayca...rged-felonies/

not sure why you would do that to little kids, but to be charged with felonies for it?

it's a pretty callous thing to do, but damn
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2022, 09:43 AM   #2012
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ulvl
https://www.tmz.com/2022/10/20/dayca...rged-felonies/

not sure why you would do that to little kids, but to be charged with felonies for it?

it's a pretty callous thing to do, but damn
I'm surprised it was Felony Child Abuse since that's usually reserved for physical injuries, but hey, they put themselves in that situation.

Stop. Recording. Everything. And. Putting. It. On. The. Internet.

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 10-21-2022, 12:12 PM   #2013
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

A week or two ago a landscaper from my hometown died falling into a wood chipper.

I can't even imagine from anyone's experience during that moment.

EDIT: https://www.latimes.com/california/s...nia-menlo-park
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 10-21-2022, 12:15 PM   #2014
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
A week or two ago a landscaper from my hometown died falling into a wood chipper.

Not trying to make light of this situation, but the ad that showed up when I scrolled down to your post was a guy cutting a tree down.

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 10-22-2022, 01:55 AM   #2015
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer

Yeah I hate stuff like this, I put myself into the mindset of the person who is about to die, and you know it's gonna happen, and there's nothing you can do about it horrible stuff

I watch the show "I Survived" sometimes, the last one I saw was a guy who got caught in farming equipment and had both arms ripped off, basically only survived because his dog bit his face to wake him up so he could dial 911 with his nose, still barely survived because of the blood loss, his arms were actually reattached, which is crazy to me, but that's another position I put myself in mentally that was tough to think about. Also, dogs are awesome

Last edited by l3ulvl; 10-22-2022 at 02:04 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-01-2022, 01:05 PM   #2016
MVP

Picci's Arena

OVR: 7

It's not for sale but are we getting closer? So if you die in the game you

Quote:

The man who created the Oculus Rift has invented a virtual reality headset that will explode the forebrain of a user who dies in a video game.

Luckey’s killer headset looks like a Meta Quest Pro hooked up with three explosive charge modules that sit above the screen. The charges are aimed directly at the user's forebrain and, should they go off, would obliterate the head of the user.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/dy7k...ie-in-the-game

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »