Home

The OS Guitarists thread

This is a discussion on The OS Guitarists thread within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 07-16-2009, 06:05 PM   #41
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: The OS Guitarists thread

I've been playing an acoustic lately. I never played it much, mostly sticking to electric, but my chord work is cleaning up as a result of it. I really like the sound dynamics you can apply to an acoustic guitar. If I remain steady on it for a few more weeks, I'll intensify the playing to full out practice. My finger picking is not even developed enough to call crap, haha.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2009, 06:12 PM   #42
All Star

RAZRr1275's Arena

OVR: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornindamecca
I've been playing an acoustic lately. I never played it much, mostly sticking to electric, but my chord work is cleaning up as a result of it. I really like the sound dynamics you can apply to an acoustic guitar. If I remain steady on it for a few more weeks, I'll intensify the playing to full out practice. My finger picking is not even developed enough to call crap, haha.
I've never really liked acoustics. They don't really suit my style very well since they don't have much sustain and I also don't really like the sound of acoustic chords. But I think I might try one out again to clean up my chord work.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:56 PM   #43
Banned

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbzilla558
I play lead and bass guitar. If it's basic chords you're trying to learn, you should first finger the chords and try to slowly alternate between them without actually strumming.

Also try out the basic scales, etc.

What sort of guitar are you playing?
Ibanez GSA60 Electric Guitar

It sounds ok...But the amp is awful. Should I get a amp or a guitar next? I believe my amp is 10wat.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:05 PM   #44
All Star

RAZRr1275's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectRipCity
Ibanez GSA60 Electric Guitar

It sounds ok...But the amp is awful. Should I get a amp or a guitar next? I believe my amp is 10wat.
I'd go for the amp. I'm not sure what most recommend but I'm upgrading my guitar last. I currently have a vox valvetronix amp. And a squier strat for a guitar. I will be upgrading to a shecter hellraiser before the year is over though. And as stumble said depending on your style it might be better to get some effects too first. I got a line 6 pod x3 live for my effects and it does great for what i do. It also has amp modeling so you can also get an okay tube amp sound out of it using that.

Last edited by RAZRr1275; 07-16-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:06 PM   #45
Livin' the dream

Stumbleweed's Arena

OVR: 39

Amp, easily. A crappy guitar would sound decent out of a good amp, but not vice-versa. I always suggest tube amps, but unless you're serious about playing, it's probably not worth a $450 investment or so to get an amp. I liked the Fender Blues Junior a lot when I used one a while back and those can be found used for ~$300... solid not-too-loud practice-type amp, but it still has nice Fender tube sound.

Depends what kind of music you like though if a tube amp is worth it or not. If you're playing chords, modern rock, etc., then you might just go solid state and get a decent effects processor to give you some sounds to play with. Tube amps are mostly if you want a really nice clean sound and a typical overdrive (think Stevie Ray Vaughan or something)...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2009, 07:16 PM   #46
Banned

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbleweed
Amp, easily. A crappy guitar would sound decent out of a good amp, but not vice-versa. I always suggest tube amps, but unless you're serious about playing, it's probably not worth a $450 investment or so to get an amp. I liked the Fender Blues Junior a lot when I used one a while back and those can be found used for ~$300... solid not-too-loud practice-type amp, but it still has nice Fender tube sound.

Depends what kind of music you like though if a tube amp is worth it or not. If you're playing chords, modern rock, etc., then you might just go solid state and get a decent effects processor to give you some sounds to play with. Tube amps are mostly if you want a really nice clean sound and a typical overdrive (think Stevie Ray Vaughan or something)...
I prefer classic and modern rock. The funny thing is I am selling my Xbox360 and my Rockband 2 collection so I dont have to spend so much of my paycheck.

Amp>Video games

I am looking for the right one...I would also like to have headphones so I dont annoy my neighbors. Those are freakin expensive. I do not mind buying a $400 amp...But when decent headphones cost $70+ it's a tough pill to swallow.

One day I am going to get the Wolfgang EVH. I have been obsessing over that guitar for months.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:24 PM   #47
All Star

RAZRr1275's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectRipCity
I prefer classic and modern rock. The funny thing is I am selling my Xbox360 and my Rockband 2 collection so I dont have to spend so much of my paycheck.

Amp>Video games

I am looking for the right one...I would also like to have headphones so I dont annoy my neighbors. Those are freakin expensive. I do not mind buying a $400 amp...But when decent headphones cost $70+ it's a tough pill to swallow.

One day I am going to get the Wolfgang EVH. I have been obsessing over that guitar for months.
If you want to knock out two birds with one stone I'd get an amp with amp modeling and effects if you use them so you can alter sounds on them. The vox valvetronix does it and so do the line 6 amps.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:42 AM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 5

If you want to play without making much noise I think the best option, though it might be slightly more expensive than it seems you're willing to shell out, would be to purchase a 100 dollar USB/Firewire adaptor a pair of decent headphones or monitors. If you have a Mac or iLife, you already have Garageband. So for 150-200 dollars you can already start recording and listening to whatever you're playing.

This is also assuming you have a cable for your electric (or acoustic electric), but honestly. Garageband is the cheapest, decent recording program you can get. You can learn to play easily with a click and record what you play. And even if you just have an acoustic, a basic Shure microphone and cable to attach to your USB interface would work too. So at most, you're talking 200-300 dollars for a basic set up.

Gotta spend money to make money (or at least have fun).

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »