Home

My mother passed in January, I think I got a sign from beyond recently...

This is a discussion on My mother passed in January, I think I got a sign from beyond recently... within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-20-2023, 11:51 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Thumbs up My mother passed in January, I think I got a sign from beyond recently...

I wanted to share a story about my mother Judi, who died in January. As her son, I was of course very upset that she had passed, but I harbored some hope that she did not truly die, that her spirit lived on, in some fashion. And she was finally free of her disease ridden body as well. She had COPD and decreased lung function so she had been truly, truly miserable for many years. So in some ways her passing was a blessing, as difficult as it was. I really hoped that, if there was an afterlife, she would send me some sign. And she had told me she would, if she could.

That was my hope but death is the great unknown and so I was hopeful but didn't expect anything to really come of it. However, one day, not long ago, that sign came I believe.

Here's my short story about it:

One day I took a really cute video of our two Pomeranians puppies and then I sat down my phone on the couch, face down.

When I came back and picked up my phone, in the text message area of where I had sent the video file to a friend was the following:

LOVE MOM J

Now I have sat down my phone many times and gotten gibberish or whatnot where it rubs against something, but this was extra-coincidentally, or perhaps more?

I also should note that I had two moms, both died this year, my biological mother Judi and my stepmother Barb. Judi died in January and Barb died over the summer, both of cancer.

So the "Mom J" part is what really blows my mind.

Coincidence? Maybe...maybe not.

I waited a while to share this, this happened a month or so ago, to ruminate on whether it meant anything or not. I believe that it did.

What do you all think? Just a weird, random thing, or more?

Have any of you ever received anything that could be construed as a sign from a loved one who has passed?

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2023, 04:17 PM   #2
Rookie

rupe's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: My mother passed in January, I think I got a sign from beyond recently...

Don't discount it. My wife died at 38 of breast cancer back in 2016. Two weeks after she passed I sent my son to spend the night at a friends house to get his mind off of stuff. Sitting there at 3:00 in the morning I was in tears thinking about her and flipping through channels. All the sudden the one light above my couch turned on then off then on. Just that one light right above me. I started talking to her and telling her not to worry that we missed her but we would find a way to live a beautiful life for her. The light then flicked off then on then off. It stayed off. No other lights in the room did it. None have done it since. It's been a struggle without her, but we have kept that promise to live a beautiful life. Major ups and downs, but we continue to honor her.

You were blessed to receive that message. It gives us a realization that there is more to this crazy world than we realize.
Old 10-20-2023, 06:51 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupe
Don't discount it. My wife died at 38 of breast cancer back in 2016. Two weeks after she passed I sent my son to spend the night at a friends house to get his mind off of stuff. Sitting there at 3:00 in the morning I was in tears thinking about her and flipping through channels. All the sudden the one light above my couch turned on then off then on. Just that one light right above me. I started talking to her and telling her not to worry that we missed her but we would find a way to live a beautiful life for her. The light then flicked off then on then off. It stayed off. No other lights in the room did it. None have done it since. It's been a struggle without her, but we have kept that promise to live a beautiful life. Major ups and downs, but we continue to honor her.

You were blessed to receive that message. It gives us a realization that there is more to this crazy world than we realize.
wow, thank you for sharing that personal story, it's something that I think many may find difficult to believe, and I get it, I've thought about this event for a good while before talking about it to anyone, because I'm an open minded skeptic on things of this nature. By that I mean I'm eager to believe, but cannot discount other explanations.

It really is comforting and I'm glad you had that experience. My mother was very interested in what happens when we pass, we had many of hours of conversation about dying and the afterlife, what could happen, or maybe nothing happens. We had always discussed the idea of communication with the living, one of us to another.

This ain't just out of the blue unexpected I guess is my point here because she always swore to me she'd try her best and to look for it, and made me to do the same.

BTW again thank you for sharing, I opened this thread up seriously wondering if someone was posting something mocking or such, so I am glad that was not the case. If folks don't believe, I get it, but when it happens to you personally, and you can really realize it's something that if you go by logic was not explainable, then you really will believe.

Despite so many people claiming to know what happens after we die, none of us do, it really is the great unknown.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

Old 10-23-2023, 12:21 PM   #4
All Star

RockinDaMike's Arena

OVR: 17

My condolences ODogg.

I wouldn’t even have a 2nd thought, that’s your mom’s communicating with you.

To me I would take comfort that they are in a good place to send you that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Activision: MikeDeuce#1448

Teams: AZ Cardinals, Suns, Diamondbacks, Duke, Arizona State

IG FB
Old 11-02-2023, 12:29 PM   #5
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

That’s pretty incredible. To me, it’s what YOU make of it. Could it have been coincidence, your phone had something rub against it to produce that string of words? Easily. It sounds like you know this and haven’t ruled it out. You have always seemed to be a logical, thought out person from your posts. You go first to the most simple, reasonable answer.

But it’s such a specific message and combined with some of the rest of the details, it’s hard to dismiss as coincidence. There will always be a question of what happened and that’s why i say it’s what you believe. Sometimes it takes a leap of faith.

I’ve never really experienced something like that, at least not obviously. The closest experience I have is when my mom passed (was battling cancer for years), my brothers, father and uncle were all together at home. Guess we got a pizza & soda for dinner that night. Drank the 2-liter to empty and I don’t know if it was when someone put it down or something knocked in to it, but it vibrated for a few moments after contact. I’ve seen this happen since then, but it’s never been as long and as clear as it was that time. I always felt like it was both just physics but also that it had a little extra energy in that moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2023, 02:24 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
That’s pretty incredible. To me, it’s what YOU make of it. Could it have been coincidence, your phone had something rub against it to produce that string of words? Easily. It sounds like you know this and haven’t ruled it out. You have always seemed to be a logical, thought out person from your posts. You go first to the most simple, reasonable answer.

But it’s such a specific message and combined with some of the rest of the details, it’s hard to dismiss as coincidence. There will always be a question of what happened and that’s why i say it’s what you believe. Sometimes it takes a leap of faith.

I’ve never really experienced something like that, at least not obviously. The closest experience I have is when my mom passed (was battling cancer for years), my brothers, father and uncle were all together at home. Guess we got a pizza & soda for dinner that night. Drank the 2-liter to empty and I don’t know if it was when someone put it down or something knocked in to it, but it vibrated for a few moments after contact. I’ve seen this happen since then, but it’s never been as long and as clear as it was that time. I always felt like it was both just physics but also that it had a little extra energy in that moment.
Hey thanks for your comments. Your sign certainly could be plausibly taken to be a sign. I do tend to believe in possibilities, but with a dose of skepticism because I'm still pretty much a logical type of person. Which is part of why I waited a while to sort of logically think about the entire incident.

After a good deal of thought, although it's probable of course it was just random, the odds of it being that are infinitely low, to the point of almost like winning the lottery. Possible but not probable.

I should also note I had never typed out mom J or anything, it wasn't a phrase used commonly and so it wasn't my phone like filling in something I typed a lot.

It just blows my mind to think it happened and I'm glad I told my wife and showed her right away or I think i'd start to question if it really happened or not.

But it did happen and now I do believe my mom made contact with me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »