Home

Most Disappointing games

This is a discussion on Most Disappointing games within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-26-2022, 04:12 PM   #65
All Star

OVR: 13
Re: Most Disappointing games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkycorm
I also really liked XIII. It was very linear and started to break from the norm of the classic JRPG but it was fun none the less. The characters were great and the story was awesome so the linear gameplay was ok.
I'm pleased to hear someone else admit this in public (LOL) !!!

I loved FFXIII. The linearity didn't bother me one bit; in fact, it helped propel the game/story forward in my opinion. And the battle system, once fully unlocked to its fullest potential, was one of the best FF battle systems ever - a nice mix of action and strategy, real-time and turn-based, that ultimately was really fun to use. Ultra-fast class switching in the midst of a heated boss battle timed perfectly was just really rewarding. I know it took way too long for the battle system to open up to that level, which was a major criticism, but it was well worth it. The game also became really non-linear in the endgame / postgame, but by then most people had given up.

With regard to the main thread topic, in addition to every sports game of the past 2 decades, I would specifically call out 'Rory McIlroy PGA Tour' as being disappointing even by EA standards. The graphics were brilliant, the bones of a decent game were there, but the ultimate execution was pretty bland and 1-note, with no real reason to continue playing beyond the first few tournaments. It was so disappointing, it basically collapsed an entire sports game genre for almost a decade (!).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2022, 12:25 PM   #66
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
I also really liked XIII. It was very linear and started to break from the norm of the classic JRPG but it was fun none the less. The characters were great and the story was awesome so the linear gameplay was ok.

I tried XV twice. Both with the free version I got on the ps plus monthly game and it just never felt fun to me.
The FF XIII series is one I'd like to see get even a modest remaster (it was beautiful on PS3 - I think high res/frames would really help it) so we can play on current gen. I've grown to love more linear, cinematic games - this one would be right in my wheelhouse now.

XV - ugh. I really have nothing nice to say about that entry in the series.
Old 09-29-2022, 01:32 PM   #67
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
The FF XIII series is one I'd like to see get even a modest remaster (it was beautiful on PS3 - I think high res/frames would really help it) so we can play on current gen. I've grown to love more linear, cinematic games - this one would be right in my wheelhouse now.

I would really enjoy being able to play XIII on PS4/5. Like I said, I really enjoyed the characters and as mentioned above too, it opens up a lot at the end.

I would actually go back and replay it but lest my PS3 is not functioning correctly anymore.

Currently Playing:

No Man's Sky (PS5)
Pokemon Violet (Switch)
Stardew Valley (PC)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment
Old 09-29-2022, 05:00 PM   #68
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleCrown9
The Avengers game, easily. Never been more disappointed in anything I've purchased. The story was alright, but it was about 8 hours. The game is 95% microtransactions. The gameplay is nothing but similar, boring enemies. HUGE missed opportunity.

Also was pretty disappointed in Skater XL. Played that for a couple days before deleting.
Co-sign AVengers. I wish they would have just rebooted Marverl Heroes Omega on PC. Had so much fun wrecking shop with WarMachine
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.
Old 09-29-2022, 06:41 PM   #69
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977

Quote:
I would really enjoy being able to play XIII on PS4/5. Like I said, I really enjoyed the characters and as mentioned above too, it opens up a lot at the end.

I would actually go back and replay it but lest my PS3 is not functioning correctly anymore.
Yeah, I think to your points, the game doesn't even necessarily need to be remastered, it just needs to be playable on modern-gen consoles. It still looks amazing even by modern gen standards (in my opinion, of course). And removed from the noise/hype of a new Final Fantasy release, I wonder if it would be more favorably received on its own merits.
Old 09-30-2022, 01:12 PM   #70
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Yeah, I think to your points, the game doesn't even necessarily need to be remastered, it just needs to be playable on modern-gen consoles. It still looks amazing even by modern gen standards (in my opinion, of course). And removed from the noise/hype of a new Final Fantasy release, I wonder if it would be more favorably received on its own merits.
I don't disagree. I think updating the game to output at a higher res and at 60 FPS would be worth it (for me at least). Anything beyond that is just gravy.
Old 10-01-2022, 11:13 PM   #71
MVP

SeaTownGamer's Arena

God of war (2018)
Cutscenes after cutscenes I just want to kill monsters!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2022, 07:48 AM   #72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls
Disappointing doesn't mean bad, though it can.

Since we have threads about best games of current gen etc. What games were you just so unimpressed with?

The 2 that stick out to me are:

Cyberpunk 2077 - I had been following this game since the first teaser around 2013. A lot of the developer comments throughout its development cycle indicated that it would revolutionize open world games. The fact that it was set in a cyberpunk style world made it so much better too. I'll always love fantasy settings in games like Skyrim, but I also love sci-fi which is a setting that is severely under represented in gaming. While I can acknowledge that there are a lot of good aspects about the game that was released, it does not remotely resemble the game that was promised (or at least hinted at). It didn't revolutionize anything. Most of the "choices" that I encountered weren't actually choices, and I have a particularly hate for the story trope that is featured in the main quest line. I sunk around 25 hours into it because I was committed to the hype, until I eventually realized that at no point did I actually enjoy it.

Final Fantasy XV - I'm a diehard Final Fantasy fan. I've owned every numbered FF game since Final Fantasy 6 (3 in the US) on the super nintendo as a kid. I've even bought and played the 2 MMO's. Every one of these games resulted in me dumping hours into the game immediately upon opening it. Even FF XIII which I eventually came to love but was somewhat ambivalent on during my first attempt at playing. Even that game I probably had 20 hours played in 3 days of the game releasing. That is, every game until Final Fantasy 15. I had this game pre-ordered (the collector's edition), and I even went to pick up at the midnight release despite having work the next morning. When I got home from the store I even stayed up to play it for a bit sinking a couple hours into it because I was so excited to have another main line FF game. The few hours that I stayed up playing it after bringing it home at Midnight was the last time that I even booted that game up. Nothing about the opening sequence captured me like every Final Fantasy game before it, and in the 5+ years since it was released not once have I had even the slightest urge to try it again.
dude very cool post thanks for the support on the forum

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »