Home

Lazy, Unimaginative Console Naming?

This is a discussion on Lazy, Unimaginative Console Naming? within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 06-13-2004, 12:24 AM   #17
NBA Ratings Wizard

OVR: 14
Re: Lazy, Unimaginative Console Naming?

Here is a new article concerning potential names for the next Xbox system. Microsoft does not really want "Xbox 2" which sounds inferior to "Playstation 3", but it is on the list. Notice no "Xbox Next".

Quote:

Potential Names:

Xbox 247
Xbox 360
Xbox 2
Xbox E
Xbox EV
Xbox FS
Xbox HD
Xbox NE

Old 06-13-2004, 12:44 AM   #18
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:

Sonicmage said:
Here is a new article concerning potential names for the next Xbox system. Microsoft does not really want "Xbox 2" which sounds inferior to "Playstation 3", but it is on the list. Notice no "Xbox Next".

Quote:

Potential Names:

Xbox 247
Xbox 360
Xbox 2
Xbox E
Xbox EV
Xbox FS
Xbox HD
Xbox NE

What the hell?! Man I really like the name Xbox-Next. I'm guessing that 247 and 360 will be used like this 24/7 and 360 as in number of days a year. The 24/7 idea could work but 360 is just dumb.

Also what is the signifance of the abreviations? The only one I know is HD for High Def.
Old 06-13-2004, 01:35 AM   #19
Banned

OVR: 18

i like xbox 2, xbox next, xbox xeon, xbox deux, xbox neondra, xbox neodra, xbox "system 2", microsoft gates or xbox gates, or xgates
Old 06-13-2004, 02:40 AM   #20
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:

SportsmanTO said:
Quote:

Sonicmage said:

Quote:

Potential Names:

Xbox 247
Xbox 360
Xbox 2
Xbox E
Xbox EV
Xbox FS
Xbox HD
Xbox NE

What the hell?! Man I really like the name Xbox-Next. I'm guessing that 247 and 360 will be used like this 24/7 and 360 as in number of days a year. The 24/7 idea could work but 360 is just dumb.

Also what is the signifance of the abreviations? The only one I know is HD for High Def.

Only thing is that there are 365 days in a year. Are they suggesting to take 5 off? I think they are talking 360 as in 360 degrees. Complete circle
Old 06-13-2004, 05:51 PM   #21
All Star

OVR: 20

Silver:

All good points, man. But you sort of illustrated my point with this line from your post:

>>>Given my experience working there, this "average" consumer either is acting on a SPECIFIC directive from their children("I need a Playstation")<<<

Again, kids tell Mom and Dad they want a PlayStation, not a Sony PlayStation or a new Sony console. PlayStation is synonymous for videogaming in most of the world, and Sony would be nuts to change the name because of that huge brand equity.

Take care,
PK
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2004, 07:22 PM   #22
Pro

OVR: 10

True enough. I shouldn't have let myself "slip" like that. Haha. I still want more original console names! That Xbox list is just horrendous.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:46 PM   #23
MVP

WatchdogXC's Arena

OVR: 15

I think they all have horrible names this generation. I don't see Sony ever changing theirs since they have been dominant just like Gameboy is the name in handheld gaming. I think if Nintendo is smart, they'd get the Nintendo name more associated with the next console. I have a Gamecube, but think it is a really stupid name.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:42 AM   #24
All Star

OVR: 20

>>>That Xbox list is just horrendous<<<

Agreed. A bushel basket of stupid names. Xbox Next is fine to me. Keeps the Xbox name yet avoids the common convention of simple numerical naming. PS2, PS3, etc., etc.

Take care,
PK

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »