Home

What game(s) do you love to watch someone else play but don't like playing yourself?

This is a discussion on What game(s) do you love to watch someone else play but don't like playing yourself? within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-26-2023, 01:02 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Icon5 What game(s) do you love to watch someone else play but don't like playing yourself?

After watching a friend play Lies of P and greatly enjoying it I wondered why I didn't like playing it myself. Rather than try and figure it out I just accepted it.

But it made me wonder, are there other people who really love to watch someone else play a game and they aren't fans of it themselves?

What game(s) did you really love watching someone play but you didn't enjoy playing it yourself?

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2023, 02:29 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: What game(s) do you love to watch someone else play but don't like playing yourse

Escape from Tarkov

I do enjoy playing it, but I enjoy watching others play it so much more more often than not. It is a punishing and exhausting game, so I think that plays a role in it. It seems many people feel that way about the game as well. Every few wipes I will play it, then I'll take a break and just watch others play it. Rinse, repeat.

― Plato
Old 09-27-2023, 09:12 AM   #3
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: What game(s) do you love to watch someone else play but don't like playing yourse

I will no longer watch gaming-based streamers but I'll occasionally enjoy watching a more formal tournament for fighting games (a la MK), a genre I am not a fan of playing generally. Oh, and high-end Tetris tournaments are seriously insane to watch (even though I lack the patience to enjoy the game myself).
Old 10-03-2023, 10:03 AM   #4
Pro

Executor's Arena

OVR: 1

Newest Mortal Kombat is definitely one of such games. I have no intention to play this, like, ever, but I admit it was fun on stream.

I was also fascinated by Dark Souls series before the streams finally convinced me to try the genre. Never looked back since.

Games like Far Cry (5, Primal, New Dawn), Doom franchise, Resident Evil(s) and similar horror story-based games I do not have nerves to play (for now).

Specific niche would be some well-known as well as perhaps not-so-well-known JRPGs that I am brutally drawn to but not sure about mechanics and learning curve and all kinds of different battle systems, but I generally love the graphics and some of them are renowned for their story arcs, like Dragon Quest, Ni No Kuni, or the Atelier or Trails series. So many great stories I'll probably never give myself a chance to explore...

The key point, though, is that SO MUCH depends on who's streaming. You can have the best game but it's probably going to be a chore to watch if the streamer is weak, and vice-versa. Our region has been blessed with a guy who absolutely crushes it basically each night and he's single-handedly responsible for around 95% percent of my non-sports library (excluding my collection of visual novels).

Odoslané z moto x4 pomocou Tapatalku
Marshall Thundering Herd
Los Angeles Dodgers

"Greater than I, lesser than I, what does it matter to my functioning?"
(Steve Perry: Shadows of the Empire)

Last edited by Executor; 10-03-2023 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-16-2023, 08:48 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Great question. This is something I've done more and more lately as I age (49 now). I have an XBOX and a Switch so I typically will watch a full playthrough of games for PlayStation since I don't own one.

Rather than watch two hours of Netflix on a given night, I'll lay in bed and watch a streamer push through two hours of God of War, for example.

I do the same thing for every COD campaign. I don't enjoy playing FPS, but I do enjoy sitting on the couch with some chips and a drink and watching someone else play through the campaign.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2023, 12:35 PM   #6
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Overwatch.

I give up on OW2 but I still watch folks stream it.
It's hard though...especially when I got my neighbor playing their franchise across the street...maybe I will occupy myself with Glamore Magazine.
Old 10-16-2023, 12:53 PM   #7
All Star

OVR: 8

Starcraft and Starcraft 2 will forever be the only game that I truly enjoy watching others play. To a lesser extent, I sometimes enjoy watching Total War games.

For me, no FPS, sports game, or any other genre except maybe MOBA's (which I'm not really a fan of) make for good viewing. But RTS style games, they just seem to inherently bring more to the table from a viewing standpoint.
Old 10-21-2023, 11:16 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
What game(s) did you really love watching someone play but you didn't enjoy playing it yourself?
It's not that I don't enjoy playing Tekken....there are so many moves/throws/combos, I'm just amazed at the experts who can pull them off. How do they memorize all that s***? I sure as heck can't no matter how hard I try, lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »