Home

2023 game plans

This is a discussion on 2023 game plans within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-20-2023, 11:19 AM   #121
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: 2023 game plans

It seems to be gaining momentum in the gaming community and after spending some time with the game, it is well-deserved.

Sea of Stars is a really nifty old-school turn-based JRPG with a ton of polish. They have some really cool exploration and battle mechanics (so from a gameplay standpoint, it's quite engaging). Still too early for me to speak to the character and story development.

If you enjoy the genre, this is definitely one to check-out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2023, 01:21 PM   #122
MVP

Picci's Arena

OVR: 7

Well, Fall and Winter is my usual more frequent play time. Now that I'm semi-retired, I should be able to bang some out more quickly, and there's lots of games to play. Game Pass alone has added new opportunities. Lots of interests for October with 3 definite buys. I'll also have some nice options for Halloween

• Spider Man 2 PS5
  • Tennis On Court PSVR2
  • Phasmophobia PSVR2
  • Sony's Pulse Explore wireless earbuds - If the earbuds pre-orders go live

• Current Playing Rotation

• War Thunder PS5 - It'll also have my most-anticipated PSVR2 game announced, Aces of Thunder.
  • NBA 2K23 PS5
  • No Man's Sky PS5/VR2
  • Jurassic World Evolution 2 PS5
  • Starfield XBX
  • Crossfire: Sierra Squad PSVR2

When Opportunity Arises

• Microsoft Flight Simulator XBX
  • Horizon Call of the Mountain PSVR2
  • Fight Night Champions PS3/Game Pass
  • Ryse: Son of Rome Game Pass
  • Age of Empires IV: Anniversary Edition Game Pass
  • Creed: Rise to Glory Championship Edition PSVR2
  • Resident Evil Village PSVR2
  • Aliens: Dark Descent PS5

• On Hold/Wait and See

MLB The Show 23 PS4 - Just recently purchased. Shows how much a one-time system seller for me has sunk. Will start working on 2024 rosters when opportunity comes up

Madden 24 - Didn't purchase you yet. Skipped you last year. It's only a matter of time before I'll be purchasing you again. See you at a discount when opportunity comes up.

NBA 2K24 - Your game play sounds incredible. Your micro-transactions sounds shameful. Your continuous patch releases reminds why I no longer purchase you or any sports game on day one again. By the way, 2k23 is still fantastic!

NHL 24 - Yes, every year I have my eyes on you and every year you disappoint me. NHL 12 was my last.

Last edited by Picci; 09-30-2023 at 07:36 AM. Reason: clean up & added content
    Old 10-01-2023, 11:43 PM   #123
    Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28

I didn't want to start a whole thread for this, and I wasn't sure where else it fits.

But a few days ago I bought Chants of Sennaar, and I can't stop playing it.

It's an exploration/language deciphering game. You show up in a strange world and have to learn the language of the people on each level. You find glyphs, and you can type what you think it means before eventually locking in their definitions.

There's 5 different languages/levels, and each level has multiple puzzles to solve before you can advance.
    Old 10-10-2023, 01:48 PM   #124
    MVP

OVR: 0

2023 SCHEDULE
    QUARTERLY UPDATE (OCTOBER/NOVEMBER/DECEMBER)
    Completed nine games for the first half of 2023. Currently have nine games for the second half of 2023. Starting to build a backlog which isn't my preference but it is what it is.

CURRENTLY PLAYING
    - Assassin's Creed Mirage (ubisoft+)

COMPLETED
    1. Star Wars: Jedi Survivor (9.0/10, disc)
    2. Dead Space (9.0/10, disc)
    3. Hogwarts Legacy (8.5/10, digital)
    4. Dead Island 2 (8.5/10, digital gold edition)
    5. Resident Evil 4 (8.5/10, disc)
    6. Hi Fi Rush (8.5/10, game pass)
    7. Final Fantasy XVI (8.0/10, disc/base game)
    8. Sifu (8.0/10, digital)
    9. Redfall (6.0/10, game pass)

BACKLOG
    - Atlas Fallen (on the last region, need to wrap it up)
    - Cyberpunk 2077 (digital/base game)
    - Diablo IV (waiting for it to go on Game Pass)
    - Dying Light 2: Stay Human - Bloody Ties (digital/expansion)
    - Horizon Forbidden West: The Burning Shores (digital/expansion)
    - Immortals Fenyx Rising: The Lost Gods (digital/expansion)
    - Immortals of Aveum (waiting for it to go on EA Play)
    - Like a Dragon Ishin (waiting for it to go on Game Pass in mid-October)
    - Remnant 2 (on the final boss)
    - Starfield (long story, will get back to it in January as I will be off most of the month)
    - The Ascent: Cyber Heist (digital/expansion)

OCTOBER
    10/05 - Assassin's Creed Mirage (day one ubisoft+)
    10/20 - Marvel's Spider Man 2 (digital deluxe edition)

NOVEMBER
    11/02 - RoboCop: Rogue City (disc)
    11/09 - Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name (day one game pass)

DECEMBER
    12/07 - Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora (day one ubisoft+)
    Old 10-11-2023, 03:53 PM   #125
    All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Finished Sea of Stars last night and I figured I'd give my own little review of it here (spoiler-free) as I don't think a separate thread is needed. Sea of Stars is an indy crowd-funded game in the vein of a retro-stylized Final Fantasy-esque game (turn-based).

Graphics
    Beautfully rendered graphics and artwork. Very strong stylistic choices that aid in capturing a wide variety of different vistas. Not quite on the visual level of an Octopath Traveler 2 in terms of lighting and so on, but quite well-done.

Grade: 9/10

Music
    First thing out of the way, I am a sucker for orchestral music (even for games like this). The music in this game is more akin to the PS1 era as a stylistic choice. The music is catchy (some tunes are still going through my head as I write this). Excellent compositions for this game that capture the essence of different areas (and even vary the battle music). Really solid job here by that team even though I personally prefer full orchestral style.

Grade: 8/10 (10/10 if you love the "midi-style" music)

Gameplay - Exploration
    Most games of this style have you moving your little sprites around the screen as they walk around the map. Not Sea of Stars. Areas are three dimensional and have you using different mechanics throughout the game to traverse areas. The game also features "puzzles" that you have to solve in order to either progress in some maps (or to gain access to loot). They were very well-designed and none of them fell into the trap of being so obtuse that you had to spam everything under the sun to try and figure it out. I'll be honest, in the early parts of the game, I stayed engaged because of this.

Grade: 10/10

Gameplay - Combat
    The combat is actually fun. In addition to standard fare turn-based mechanics (including a mechanic that requires you to break an enemy's "concentration" before his turn arrives and he uses a special skill - which makes you also think tactically), there are timing mechanics for boosting damage/blocking, plus some skills (a couple are utterly addictive - when you unlock "moonerang", you will understand). I personally found the combat to again tread the line between too easy and too obtuse (and there are certain aids you can unlock/buy to make certain combat elements a bit easier - a welcome addition, but you can enable/disable at will). I definitely lost battles at times but also never felt the need to "grind" areas to level-up.

Grade: 9/10

Gameplay - Pacing
    An underrated aspect of games IMO. Some games throw too much at you at once followed by major "lulls". Sea of Stars introduces new mechanics and characters throughout the narrative while giving you a chance to "enjoy" them before they throw-out another. The pacing here is exceptionally well-done. Just when you think you've hit a "lull", they throw out something new. Also, as mentioned above, "grinds" of prior areas to level-up were not really necessary in my playthrough.

Grade: 10/10

RPG-elements
    As mentioned, this is a Final Fantasy-style game, as such, this is not really an RPG. You do not make dialogue decisions that impact the story or characters - thus, no real role-playing. Now, if you are one of those people that thinks FF games are RPGs, then yes, it is in that sense. I tend to view these types of games as adventure games (reserving the "RPG" moniker for games like Skyrim, Mass Effect, etc.)

For other elements like leveling, equipment customization, etc., the options here are very light. Side quests are limited (thankfully IMO) but there are some optional areas that can give you some nice equip upgrades late-game.

Grade: not grading here, because it's truly a matter of whether or not you like this approach.

Story
    The story was enough to make me curious as to what might happen next but it was a fairly standard good vs evil storyline. BUT...there were a couple of twists and turns along the way and the team did add some backstory to certain aspects which offered a nice context.

Grade: 7/10

Characters/Character Development
    The two main protagonists (Zale and Valere) you can begin the game with are pretty bland "we are the heroes of this story" cut-out characters with very limited back stories and no real essence of ambiguity...they're like playing as Commander Shepard while making ALL paragon choices (if that makes sense). Other party members are a fair bit more interesting. There IS one party character (aside from the main two) who I did genuinely love...pretty sure most folks will feel that way too. Some NPCs (even foes) have some fleshed-out stories, some of which are interesting. But I'll be honest, I never really felt "attached" to anyone in the story...unlike Octopath Traveler 2 where I literally teared-up at times. As someone that values strong connections to my characters more than anything in a game, this really hurt the game a bit for me.

Grade: 6/10

Replayability

Just a quick note as I am someone that plays a game for the story then moves on. But, beating the game unlocks some new content (do not know what that entails) and a New Game+ mode. From what I've heard, this game does have good replayability...if that matters to you, you could enjoy this aspect.

Overall

The gameplay really carried the game for me; it was fun and engaging throughout (and it changes-up the turn-based "RPG" genre enough to make it fresh as well). The story and characters held things together well enough, but did not particularly stand-out. I will say that I did not face any bugs or issues during my playthrough - so a well-polished experience. The overall quality of this game truly belies the fact it is an indy game, very impressive.

Overall Grade: 8 of 10
    Advertisements - Register to remove
    Old 10-17-2023, 09:33 AM   #126
    All Star

OVR: 8

I'll probably do one final check in after this.

Original Plan

2023 Goals
    Complete 3 games in my back log - 0 Complete

Must Buys with a release date:
    Forspoken (1/24/23) - Recently purchased
    Atomic Heart (2/21/21) - Did Not Buy
    Star Wars Jedi Survivor (3/17/23) - Did Not Buy
    Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores (4/19/23) - Purchased

Tentative 2023 Releases:
    Armored Core VI Fires of Rubicon - Did not Buy
    Banishers Ghosts of New Eden - Not yet released (Nov 7, 2023)
    Forza Motorsport - Did Not Buy
    Starfield - Purchased and refunded
    Stormgate - In-Development

Beyond the original plan.
    Unexpected Purchases:
    Diablo IV - Fun for a couple of weeks, but then the changes happened and just not enough content
    Baldurs Gate 3 - Game of the decade
    OOTP 24 - Not revolutionary, but still fun
    Pokemon Violet - Really enjoying
    Final Fantasy XVI - A complete failure of a FF game, but an okay hack/slash
    Hogwarts Legacy - Atrocious story, but gameplay and environment both solid
    Star Trek Infinite - A clone of a free stellaris mod, but with fewer features than the mod.
    Madden 24 - Franchise finally playable, 6 weeks after release

The first half of 2023 was a major disappointment with games like Forspoken falling a bit flat and others like FF16 & Hogwarts Legacy being games that I wanted to love but had major defects.

Entering August though I started to get really excited for the end of the year. Baldurs Gate 3 started to peak my interest with some clips I saw and Starfield was right around the corner. Then there were games like Armored Core which were only a few weeks out, and my favorite car sim game (Forza) with a new mainline entry due out in early Q4, not to mention Cities Skylines II being expected shortly after that. Even Madden had me excited for the first time in years.

A couple of weeks into October, and I should have known better. Starfield was a massive disappointment, reaching Cyberpunk 2077 levels. Forza's new customization/progression system is a huge downgrade versus prior entries, and the just reported Cities Skylines II performance issues with no delay in release for PC is also a major disappointment.

Thankfully Baldurs Gate 3 exists. Hopefully I can finish 1 play through of this before the end of the year (so much to explore, hard to stay committed to the main quest).
    Old 10-30-2023, 11:44 AM   #127
    MVP

Picci's Arena

OVR: 7

With all the games I'm playing, I'll wait on Spider Man 2 for a later date to purchase, and start playing. It was the only game for October in what was a very disappointing month release of the other games I had interest in that came in broken, delayed, or bare bones.

As for November, two game has my attention;

• Peaky Blinders: The King's Ransom Complete Edition (PSVR2) - November 2nd

• Football Manager 2024 - November 6th.

• Current Playing Rotation

• War Thunder PS5/PS4
  • NBA 2K23 PS5
  • No Man's Sky PS5/VR2
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator XBX
  • Jurassic World Evolution 2 PS5
  • Aliens: Dark Descent PS5
  • Madden 24 PS5
  • Resident Evil Village PSVR2
  • Fight Night Champions XBX/Game Pass
  • MLB The Show 23 PS4

When Opportunity Arises

• Ryse: Son of Rome Game Pass
  • Horizon Call of the Mountain PSVR2
  • Creed: Rise to Glory Championship Edition PSVR2
  • Starfield XBX
  • Football Manager 24 Game Pass

• Last edited by Picci; 11-25-2023 at 02:41 AM.
    Old 10-30-2023, 03:54 PM   #128
    All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

I have really settled into a wonderful gaming pattern this last year (especially recently). Basically, at any one time, I am actively playing only two games: MLB The Show 23 and another game; with occasional excursions into something like Madden (which I can only enjoy in short doses anyways).

My latest non-MLBTS game has been Marvel's Midnight Suns. When it first came out, I was like, "Turn-based tactical game with Cards? Hard pass!" There's another whole element I had not been aware of, there's a sizable role-playing aspect to it. I started playing the trial like 3 weeks ago (bought it 30 mins into the 2 hour trial) and I've already sunk 60+ hours into it. If Octopath Traveler 2 is my game of the year (and it is by a landslide), then Midnight Suns is my "Shocker of the Year" - did NOT expect to enjoy it as much as I have (to be fair...my gaming tastes have altered dramatically this year).

Once I finish that (I only started the final act last night..so I've probably got another 20 hours or so, at least), I'll dive into my catalog and see what appeals to me at that time (no longer worrying about back logs or anything like that). I DO want to finish my playthrough of Tales of Arise (plus the new DLC coming-out in November) - but we'll see.

Come turn of the year, I'll likely re-play Crisis Core: Reunion and the Final Fantasy VII Remake to gear-up for the release of Final Fantasy VII Rebirth on 2/29/24.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »