Home

My imprssion of NHL 2K10

This is a discussion on My imprssion of NHL 2K10 within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-14-2009, 11:37 PM   #385
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: My imprssion of NHL 2K10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTheWeight
The commentators themselves don't grind my gears...it's just their delivery and their lines that annoy me. I wouldn't mind hearing Randy and Drew with a script that...*gasp*...makes them sound like they do on television! Maybe do away with the script entirely and have them ad-lib like the rambling Chris Collinsworth! ANYTHING!
yeah, here's an idea, they've done it for two years now, so I'm sure they are familiar with how it's put together, LET THEM WRITE THEIR OWN, they actually do an outstanding job on actual broadcasts, sometimes they even come close to arguing over penalties.
This is why it pains me to hear almost 82 games worth of good commentary from them on television. Then I gotta play this game and hear those voices say things they wouldn't use on tv, c'mon, I don't know who gets the blame, the writers/producers at 2k, or those guys for not speaking their mind. ahh well, I tune it out anyhow, at this point in both games it's just white noise. The only thing that Gary Thorne has ever said in a game that I will always remember is this:

Back in the late 90's I was watching a Dallas game on ESPN. Modano was in his heyday and pulled off a sick deke and scored a goal. Gary was so wound up he inhaled and practically yelled out
"HE BEAT HIM LIKE A RENTED MULEEEE."
My dad and I laughed so hard our sides started cramping.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2009, 03:34 AM   #386
Pro

budsticky's Arena

OVR: 13

Thanks for these impressions. After reading stuff on both forums I've gone from a 100% EA NHL purchase without even a consideration for 2K, to about 50/50 between the two. Times are tight right now and I can't afford to buy them both, and at 8 dollars a pop for a Blockbuster rental(I don't have Gamefly), I'm probably not going to shell out nearly 20 bucks to give them both a rent so I definitely appreciate these informed opinions and the opportunity to avoid trying to read between the lines of the mainstream reviewers who usually have no clue when it comes to sports games.

One of the main things that has me keeping an eye on 2k is what I've been reading about the franchise mode compared to EA's game. I'm mainly an offline franchise guy. EA's franchise has been taking some hard knocks over on that forum for its blandness and lack of immersion. It seems 2K has done a better job in this regard.

Another factor is the differences in teams and players. Early reports seem to indicate that EA's teams and players really don't feel that different from one another.

I'm also a 2K guy from as far back as Dreamcast. I haven't been on board in the last few years though, and until last year with NHL 09 I really wasn't happy with EA or 2k's efforts. I do have fond memories of the old 2K games though, and if this could bring that back with the power of next gen behind it I would be a happy camper.

One area of skepticism for 2K is that it sounds like you really need a lot of slider tweaks to get it playing good. While I don't mind slider tweaks I am a little put off by sliders as I've been basically messing with sliders for 4 weeks with Madden. One thing I liked about NHL 09 is that it played a game that I enjoyed and found realistic yet challenging straight out of the box if you played at a high enough difficulty.

I'm also concerned about the reports that 2K offered no post-release support for their hockey game last year. Almost all games release with issues that need patching these days and I'd hate to buy a game and be stuck with something that isn't supported. If there's one thing EA's game can boast it is great support post-purchase.

Anyway, keep the impressions coming. I know the games are not in the hands of a lot of people yet, so as I read more hopefully I can make an informed decision.

Last edited by budsticky; 09-15-2009 at 03:42 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:51 AM   #387
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
One area of skepticism for 2K is that it sounds like you really need a lot of slider tweaks to get it playing good. While I don't mind slider tweaks I am a little put off by sliders as I've been basically messing with sliders for 4 weeks with Madden.
Well the great thing with 2K this year is the ability to upload slider settings online for people to download. There will be plenty to choose from I'm sure and it makes life much easier, if you're not really into that kind of thing and don't want to take weeks trying to get the gameplay where you want it.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:30 AM   #388
Rookie

xx19kilosoldier's Arena

OVR: 4

Reading some of this makes me want to give this game a go, but I must stick to my guns and no more money to 2k because ok MLB 2k9.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:58 AM   #389
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx19kilosoldier
Reading some of this makes me want to give this game a go, but I must stick to my guns and no more money to 2k because ok MLB 2k9.

By that thinking, EA owes several million gamers hundreds of millions (billions?) of dollars due to the various CrapMadden releases over the past decade. Yet many gamers this year are enjoying Madden 10 and say it's the best ever.

Sounds like someone needs to ditch their hurt feelings and get on with life.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:46 PM   #390
Banned

Pringles's Arena

OVR: 9

well i am going to go with the 2k version i like the fact that sliders are sensative the stadiums and the look of the game are awesome the face off system blows away ea sports version and the fact you can get break aways is a turn on i own nhl 09 and i could take the slowest defence lineman and take the fastest skater and you just cant beat them.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #391
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringles
well i am going to go with the 2k version i like the fact that sliders are sensative the stadiums and the look of the game are awesome the face off system blows away ea sports version and the fact you can get break aways is a turn on i own nhl 09 and i could take the slowest defence lineman and take the fastest skater and you just cant beat them.
I think the speed cheat in NHL09 has been fixed in 09 (with sliders).
But yeah, the fighting and faceoffs rock in the 2K series.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »