Home

ESPN NHL 2K5 (2024) Mod for PS2/PCSX2

This is a discussion on ESPN NHL 2K5 (2024) Mod for PS2/PCSX2 within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-14-2023, 08:41 PM   #1
Rookie

devils17's Arena

OVR: 1
ESPN NHL 2K5 (2024) Mod for PS2/PCSX2

Just gauging interest in a 2K5 mod for PS2/PCSX2.

Currently fooling around with new logos, ices, ads, roster, HD menus, roster pictures, etc. My own take, includes giving top dashers some color, too.

Already have an alpha build but it's no where near done.

Tried playing 2K6-10 on the PS2 emulator and it just sucks. 2K5 is the best out of them all. And apparently NHL 24 is awful, so I thought why not give 2K5 a go again. It's really nice gameplay wise.

Here's some teasers.

Old 11-14-2023, 08:43 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: ESPN NHL 2K5 (2024) Mod for PS2/PCSX2

Brown should be on a created team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2023, 10:04 PM   #3
Rookie

devils17's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlnhlfan
Brown should be on a created team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm aware lmao. Thanks for the useful contribution to this discourse. I posted that picture to show off the menu uprez and player profile picture PoC.

The roster isn't even close to complete; I won't bother if nobody will want to play the game. I just made a PoC with Molifox's 2021 roster as a base. I'll probably use my own from scratch with my own stats/analytics.
Old 11-14-2023, 11:26 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils17
Just gauging interest in a 2K5 mod for PS2/PCSX2.
Can't possibly express more how much this would be loved. I know a few other people that would love it too. Notably @molifox, @wwedx2007, and bunch of other people here that would also love it.
It's possible you may even be able to hit people up for roster help. If they felt there was a graphics mod that their rosters could contribute to, I'm sure they'd be into at least helping a bit if they have the time.
Keep going, looking forward to this!
Old 11-15-2023, 03:38 PM   #5
Rookie

more interested in nhl 09 for ps2 or nhl legacy for ps3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2023, 03:48 PM   #6
Rookie

rangers9911's Arena

I say keep going with it. Keeping one more older game alive, no matter the interest, is a great idea.
Old 11-15-2023, 06:03 PM   #7
Rookie

devils17's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by octobump
more interested in nhl 09 for ps2 or nhl legacy for ps3
NHL 09 PS2 doesn't have good emulation; it's really slow to render. Can't do PS3/360 games cause no emulator works well enough on my computer; we're not there yet with the optimization. Those are the last great games though (NHL 14, 2K8/10).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers9911
I say keep going with it. Keeping one more older game alive, no matter the interest, is a great idea.
True. The problem is, I can't really find a truly great hockey game that I'm satisfied with 100%---

NHL 94 - Greatest ever, but no season mode.
NHL Hitz 20-03 - So fun, but the 3v3 gets stale after a while, and no franchise mode; season only.
NHL 2004 - Dynasty mode is cool, but you can trade your 1st round pick for an All-Star and stack your roster and win the cup every year. Plus the gameplay is jarring.
NHL Hitz Pro - Would be perfect outside of no line changes mid-action and the game forces a goal, icing or goalie cover; also no franchise mode.
ESPN NHL 2K5 - Harder difficulties means the game will give random puck physics as turnovers to the other team. PBP audio is compressed, and the PS2 crowd is 2D. Also the dated rules.

The problem with 2K6-2K10 (PS2) is that every one of them doesn't render out widescreen properly, 2K5 for the most part does. The skating in 2K5 also feels better cause of the physics and the players feel like humans rather than robots. Their presentation also suffers with lackluster graphics and boring commentary, let alone glitches like constant ice skating (2K10) or nets not being lined up on goal lines (2K8). 2K5 is the best out of the bunch, with 2K7 coming in second.

Modern CHEL - They're catering to streamers that whine, so defense is removed and the offline AI cheats with board pin suctioning and takeaways you can't replicate as a user, or you'll get a penalty.

It's hard finding that perfect hockey game haha. The lessest evil is just playing modern chel and being used to the BS just to have "fun" online with your buddies and pray the game gets better over time.
Old 11-16-2023, 06:32 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils17
NHL 09 PS2 doesn't have good emulation; it's really slow to render. Can't do PS3/360 games cause no emulator works well enough on my computer; we're not there yet with the optimization. Those are the last great games though (NHL 14, 2K8/10).

True. The problem is, I can't really find a truly great hockey game that I'm satisfied with 100%---

NHL 94 - Greatest ever, but no season mode.
NHL Hitz 20-03 - So fun, but the 3v3 gets stale after a while, and no franchise mode; season only.
NHL 2004 - Dynasty mode is cool, but you can trade your 1st round pick for an All-Star and stack your roster and win the cup every year. Plus the gameplay is jarring.
NHL Hitz Pro - Would be perfect outside of no line changes mid-action and the game forces a goal, icing or goalie cover; also no franchise mode.
ESPN NHL 2K5 - Harder difficulties means the game will give random puck physics as turnovers to the other team. PBP audio is compressed, and the PS2 crowd is 2D. Also the dated rules.

The problem with 2K6-2K10 (PS2) is that every one of them doesn't render out widescreen properly, 2K5 for the most part does. The skating in 2K5 also feels better cause of the physics and the players feel like humans rather than robots. Their presentation also suffers with lackluster graphics and boring commentary, let alone glitches like constant ice skating (2K10) or nets not being lined up on goal lines (2K8). 2K5 is the best out of the bunch, with 2K7 coming in second.

Modern CHEL - They're catering to streamers that whine, so defense is removed and the offline AI cheats with board pin suctioning and takeaways you can't replicate as a user, or you'll get a penalty.

It's hard finding that perfect hockey game haha. The lessest evil is just playing modern chel and being used to the BS just to have "fun" online with your buddies and pray the game gets better over time.
Thank you for explaining yourself.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »