Home

2K Partners with NFLPA to Allow NFL Players in Multiple Football Games

This is a discussion on 2K Partners with NFLPA to Allow NFL Players in Multiple Football Games within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 07-31-2020, 01:43 PM   #33
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: 2K Partners with NFLPA to Allow NFL Players in Multiple Football Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmanbonzai
I feel sympathy for anyone here who think 2K has a chance to make anything regarding "real" football. They're not; if you're a big enough sports game fan to be on OS, then you know what the line of sim and non-sim is already. It's clearly a Playgrounds and SuperCard deal and to think otherwise is simply a waste of your time and energy and only setting you up for disappointment.*
Or it is just being open-minded with the realization that the lowest bar is a "SuperCard" mobile game & a NFL "Playgrounds" type game.

That could be all they'll release, but I find it hard to imagine an ambitious, innovative (and "greedy" as some would say) publisher & development house like Take-Two & Visual Concepts (if they are placed on one of these projects) wouldn't attempt to fully optimize the NFL/NFLPA license.

Those type of casual titles don't push the needle & have a niche following.

Did the NFLPA follow suit with the NFL & give EA exclusive rights to their likenesses in a "simulation" title, again? I'll have to re-read the press release from a few months back.....

****, they did. Well, that removes that idea from the equation. LOLOL

We'll find out next year.

Official HQ of Bills Backer/Spurs Nation

Official OS Bills Backers Club Member

Last edited by J_Posse; 07-31-2020 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:15 PM   #34
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Posse
Or it is just being open-minded with the realization that the lowest bar is a "SuperCard" mobile game & a NFL "Playgrounds" type game.

That could be all they'll release, but I find it hard to imagine an ambitious, innovative (and "greedy" as some would say) publisher & development house like Take-Two & Visual Concepts (if they are placed on one of these projects) wouldn't attempt to fully optimize the NFL/NFLPA license.

Those type of casual titles don't push the needle & have a niche following.

Did the NFLPA follow suit with the NFL & give EA exclusive rights to their likenesses in a "simulation" title, again? I'll have to re-read the press release from a few months back.....

****, they did. Well, that removes that idea from the equation. LOLOL

We'll find out next year.

Just to quote myself & clarify a little more, I think everyone's expectations & the realization of this deal were set once the NFL re-upped with EA. That announcement, the subsequent press release & press release by Take-Two announcing their new partnership all framed what we can & should expect.

Likely a bunch of casual titles laden with microtransactions that won't appeal to the sim (or their former NFL 2K) audience.

That doesn't mean people should lose the right to speculate a bit & have fun with all this. If they decide to only make a 'Playgrounds' & mobile card games, so be it. The ship sailed on competitive AAA pro football titles back in 2005, but we'll at least now have something else in the market.

With indie developers also pushing to make their offerings better as well.

And maybe, just maybe, 2K can find a groove & make this partnership fruitful for all parties involved. Possible even the ever shrinking simulation sports video game audience.

Old 07-31-2020, 02:20 PM   #35
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I wouldn't be surprised if EA's contract with the NFL has some language that prohibits a game of this sorts from happening as well.
The NFLPA is its own entity. Nothing in EA's agreement with the NFL should have anything to do with or any say in Take-Two's agreement with the NFLPA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2020, 02:44 PM   #36
Hoos Rising

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I would have to see it to believe it. I'd be happy if it were to ever happen, but I just don't see it being very likely. I wouldn't be surprised if EA's contract with the NFL has some language that prohibits a game of this sorts from happening as well.
Yup.

The language of this Polygon article from May about EA's exclusivity extension certainly points to the idea that both their agreements with the NFL and NFLPA grant them simulation exclusivity (emphasis mine):
Quote:
The exclusivity in EA’s agreements applies only to simulation titles; the contract language says that “arcade-style games, youth games, and casual/mobile games” are open to anyone.
And as J_Posse has alluded to, the NFLPA's own May press blast about their agreement with EA similarly calls out the idea of exclusivity:
Quote:
Under the partnership, the EA SPORTS™ Madden NFL franchise will exclusively create authentic football simulation games, and EA SPORTS, the NFL and the NFLPA will partner to develop games in new genres, expanded esports programs, and additional experiences for fans across more platforms.
I'm not seeing any wiggle room in there for Take 2 to publish a simulation game which involves the NFL or NFLPA, much less both, and as such I won't be holding my breath for such a game.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:48 PM   #37
Hoos Rising

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Actually, guys, what we're looking for right there in 2K's own press blast from the top post of this thread:
Quote:
2K's NFL games will be non-simulation football game experiences, and are currently in early stages of development. Specific game titles, developers and release dates will be announced at a later date.
This would appear to shut the door on the idea of an NFL-licensed "non-sim" game and an NFLPA-licensed "sim" game. This points to any games released under this agreement being "non-simulation".

Last edited by CM Hooe; 07-31-2020 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:49 PM   #38
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi
The NFLPA is its own entity. Nothing in EA's agreement with the NFL should have anything to do with or any say in Take-Two's agreement with the NFLPA.
It seems vague & I can't find the official press release that states that players can only appear in a EA "simulation" title.

Old 07-31-2020, 02:53 PM   #39
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Actually, guys, what we're looking for right there in 2K's own press blast from the top post of this thread:
Agreed, but does a APF or "MyTeam" experience fall under the premise of "simulation." And how could they or would they package those experiences without infringing on the EA/NFL agreement? Which they clearly care not to do since they've gone out of there way in the past to create an (although unsuccessful) alternative experience (in APF 2K8).

It'll likely be an arcade experience akeen to NFL Street, Blitz or a "Playgrounds" esque experience, but a lot of this is vague & left to our interpretation/speculation.

Which, again, is fun & expectations have been lowered since March or April.

Last edited by J_Posse; 07-31-2020 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:54 PM   #40
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Posse
It seems vague & I can't find the official press release that states that players can only appear in a EA "simulation"
Because there is none.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »