Home

Should I buy LIVE 18/19 at this moment? Sick of 2K overall...

This is a discussion on Should I buy LIVE 18/19 at this moment? Sick of 2K overall... within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 07-19-2022, 12:26 AM   #9
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: Should I buy LIVE 18/19 at this moment? Sick of 2K overall...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you should be able to download the final update regardless of server availability.

Regarding ratings, go with what you think their strengths/weaknesses are in real life. You don't have to think too much as long as you have an idea of what each player should/shouldn't be doing in real life. It's been a while...but there should be a thread here somewhere with edits I've made to sliders/rosters. Maybe it's the "Which is your favorite Live this generation?" thread, try and see...

I think my rosters are based off the spring 2018 roster update. Not sure if you can download rosters, but Live games are different thank 2K, try and see.

I don't think I touched playbooks, not sure if you can. What I do see is fantastic ball movement and off ball movement by the CPU, they almost always make the extra pass. I did not create players. Still enjoy playing the 2017-18 season. As a Pistons fan it's great having Blake Griffin while he was still an offensive threat and a dangerous low post player.

And a word of advise: I'm not sure if I did something wrong or it's because the roster editor was added later to the game (and this caused some bugs), but one day after weeks of hard work of editing rosters it made my game freeze when trying to play a game. Had to reset my rosters and start over to get it to work. Ever since then I have been doing 2 things:
1. Keep a backup roster file one step before current changes.
2. I always edit players from the rotation screen and not going directly to the player editor. I may be wrong and it does nothing, but since doing that I did not have any issues with my roster files.

ZX Spectrum
CPU: Z80 @ 3.5 MHz
GPU: Monochrome display
RAM: 48 KB
Old 07-19-2022, 04:13 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you should be able to download the final update regardless of server availability.

Regarding ratings, go with what you think their strengths/weaknesses are in real life. You don't have to think too much as long as you have an idea of what each player should/shouldn't be doing in real life. It's been a while...but there should be a thread here somewhere with edits I've made to sliders/rosters. Maybe it's the "Which is your favorite Live this generation?" thread, try and see...

I think my rosters are based off the spring 2018 roster update. Not sure if you can download rosters, but Live games are different thank 2K, try and see.

I don't think I touched playbooks, not sure if you can. What I do see is fantastic ball movement and off ball movement by the CPU, they almost always make the extra pass. I did not create players. Still enjoy playing the 2017-18 season. As a Pistons fan it's great having Blake Griffin while he was still an offensive threat and a dangerous low post player.

And a word of advise: I'm not sure if I did something wrong or it's because the roster editor was added later to the game (and this caused some bugs), but one day after weeks of hard work of editing rosters it made my game freeze when trying to play a game. Had to reset my rosters and start over to get it to work. Ever since then I have been doing 2 things:
1. Keep a backup roster file one step before current changes.
2. I always edit players from the rotation screen and not going directly to the player editor. I may be wrong and it does nothing, but since doing that I did not have any issues with my roster files.

ok will give this game a try n thx for your responses,

btw do u see anything that human should avoid doing that will take advantage of cpu? like for 2k22, i can do pick and roll all day and dunk in the paint, i hope such won't happen on live
Old 07-20-2022, 01:45 PM   #11
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

At least after editing rosters, the CPU is very aware of paint defense. They tend to close out to the point of leaving outside shooters open - for better or worse. Then you can kick it outside for a good look. Sometimes they will close out fast enough to prevent an open shoot. But pNr is the most effective and used play, I think, so it should be dangerous to some degree.

Also, gone are the days that the CPU would give up an open shot and run to the basket. Now they don't even hesitate to shoot when open, unless it's a terrible shooter.
And also midrange game is there. I check the the shot chart after every game (12 min quarters) and the CPU shoots around 12-20 or more a game. One time I saw 25 midrange shoots.

After taking a break from b-ball games for months, 3 nights ago I came back to Live 18 to play my Pistons franchise. playing on the road vs the Sixers, I was able to get ahead by 15 in the end of the 3rd, but it was too late so I quit the game and went to bed.
Last night I started the game over and what a difference! They beat me by about 15-18 points. Embid was a monster with 27, 16 and 2 blocks. Bayless was hard to stop and Reddick shot 3/7 from 3 and everyone else was helping and making shots when it counted. Griffin with a great game of 28 and 7 and Drummond's double double were not enough. Sixers shot at 51% while holding my guys at 32% with great defense. But my guys also missed some open looks and we did have a hard time scoring in the paint. Even with the loss it was beautiful. CPU ball movement to the open guy was amazing!

ZX Spectrum
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2022, 02:21 PM   #12
MVP

noshun's Arena

OVR: 14

I should've put this here, but some of what to expect from Live 19:

I picked up Live 19 a few months ago for about $9. A lot of Live apologists think I dislike this game. I'm indifferent to it because while I think there are some thing that I like: soundtrack isn't bad, the player models are okay for the most part, jerseys are decent, the courts look good, accessories for the most part. Lives gameplay leaves a lot to be desired

Animations are still goofy and out of place. Facial animations are 2k14 LeBron trailer gaping mouthish. The constant bumping into the player Infront of you, the CPU recovery time is ridiculous. The way the computer passes the ball, sometimes like it's shot out of a cannon to a teammate 3 ft away. Or the jump straight up with the ball in right hand diagonal over the head pass to a teammate on they're left side and vice versa. Or the right hand over their right shoulder behind the head to a teammate on their left. Ive watch the CPU cut around a pick on the elbow clear path to the rim only to get in the paint and backpedal dribble to the 3pt line to hoist a bad shot. The CPU can be down 1 pt and will dribble out the clock instead of putting up a shot. Live is head scratching moments induced.

Also updated all the rosters, and created player reverts back to a bald white Shaolin monk, no matter what you do, or making proper roster rotations, same issue, unless you hardlock the position. Gameplay is tragically serviceable, but its goofy. Stick to playing the 1 mode..

Also I applaud 2k for implementing Lives betters ideas into 2k because it's not like live was going to build off it the following year anyway..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dounte/MLBNFLNBALGS
I'd be the first to call myself a hypocrite.
Current Rotation: -/-
"Just know no matter who you are, the right system could turn a role player to a superstar." - Joe Budden
All Pro Football 2K8 Uniform Codes
Old 07-20-2022, 08:25 PM   #13
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

In 18 I get less bumping. Sometimes it's there, but the hip-ride animation, for better or worse, allows players to try get by the defense without being bumped.
I wish it had 16's physics (at least whenever it worked) because 18's physics are lacking the variety. But 18's post game was improved so much over 16's, so much more responsive and fun to execute and animations look better. Reminds me why I liked it in Live 08, just more realistic and not as deadly as in 08.

ZX Spectrum
Old 03-26-2024, 07:32 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 0

I guess because the EA games are change in pace for people tired of NBA 2ks heavily monetized with a more chill game but you loose depth and things to do in the game.
Old 04-13-2024, 02:38 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMorningCompany
I guess because the EA games are change in pace for people tired of NBA 2ks heavily monetized with a more chill game but you loose depth and things to do in the game.

Back when they had all kinds of bball games, I had 'em all. Change of pace is great. All games do different things well and it's really sad that we are stuck with one game. It not only is making the game itself less innovative, but it's making the game seem worse than it is because you have nothing to compare it to. Taking a vacation to another game can really help you understand why you loved another game more.

Still taking Live all day if it's about skilled pvp, though. Was watching the WB dominates vid and the physics of the ball leaving his hand, even how it bounces off the backboard, seems suspect, but the 'feel' and responsiveness of that game is on another level. It's built for competition.

I would still play Live a bit if the servers were up. I will say I have no interest in playing offline unless I'm just messing around to cook the cpu for awhile.

-Smak
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »