Home

Best of 2k Gameplay elements ?

This is a discussion on Best of 2k Gameplay elements ? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 06-25-2014, 01:57 PM   #25
MVP

jersez's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Best of 2k Gameplay elements ?

Animations-2k11 hands down, this is included in footplanting as well players had momentuem
Shooting-NBA 2k12 and 2k11. 2k12 due to the shot gathers being able to really replicate guys like dirk, paul pierce, kobe etc. 2k11 the shooting options were damn near limit less.

Dribbling-nba 2k12, it's a combination of canned animations and interrupt-able dribbles, I think that's best for really replicating individual ball handlers. Also keep the launch moves(spin, behind the back)

Post game- 2k12 again the shot gathering created another world of post moves and it was fluid.

Passing-2k13 only due to the passing on the right stick not being flashy passes but regular passes that had zip, so basically keep the controls as is, but get rid of the flashy passes make it tendency based

Defense- I think 2k14 allows us to play the best on ball defense, collision detection and defensive sliding needs improvement, the defenders movements seems limited, which frees the ball handler up.

Playcalling-NBA 2k14, I think the poe is a great addition and I look forward to it being expanded.

Defensive individual assignments needs to make a return, along with practice plays.

Last edited by jersez; 06-25-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2014, 02:26 PM   #26
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream2k13
Watch NBA basketball post moves don't happen quickly so devs were correct
You missed the point. If you feed the post and guard comes and double teams and is slapping at the ball good defense should be rewarded. Allowing post players to just pretend there is no double and just take your time with post moves because nothing will happen is unrealistic. If there is no double team and it's 1 on 1 in the post then sure take your time. Devs didn't want to allow steals in this situation to allow players time to make moves regardless of the double team.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #27
MVP

UnbelievablyRAW's Arena

OVR: 5

Pick and Roll overall

2k14 (nextgen) had it right imo. Only problem is on the defensive side, you can manage how the pick and roll defender hedges so a lot of the time in myplayer the cpu would call a pick and just have an easy lane to the basket because your guy would just stand there and only guard the guy giving the pick instead of hedging

Rebounding

NBA 2k11

Rebounding ratings, positioning and height were factors. In 2k games proceeding 2k11, you can be 7'1 but just because the 6'9 guy next to you has an 80defreb rating and your offreb rating is 70 you won't be able to get the rebound 80% of the time

Rebound rating should only affect AI logic when it comes to positioning, boxing out, and jump timing. If you're out of position you shouldn't see the ball magnetize into your players had just because you have a high rebound rating.

Also, PLEASE REMOVE THE GOD AWFUL TIPPING MECHANIC IN FUTURE 2K GAMES, PLAYERS CAN EASILY CATCH THE BALL BUT THEY TIP IT UNNECESSARILY AND ALLOW OPPOSING PLAYERS TO CATCH IT

OnBall defense

NBA 2K9.

Maybe it's my rose colored glasses looking back at it, but you could actually guard players reasonably onball and the shading mechanic actually worked. In 2k14 (nextgen) there are too many collision animations on the perimeter that gradually move the offensive player closer and closer to the rim so people could literally fumble around with the shot stick and find themselves close to the basket with the Lebron's/Melo's/etc

Offball defense

Every game before 2k14. The unrealistic hesitation players do before you're allowed to moveon defense is really annoying. The guy you're guarding could literally be 3 feet away from you, but it takes 3-4 seconds just to turn around and take ONE step towards him to prevent a shot

There needs to be animations to emulate momentum shifts. For example, in 2k you can run out to a corner player at full speed to close out and still be able to prevent him from blowing pass you as you stop on a dime to guard him.

Passing

No offense but the passing has been floaty and not realistic in relation to player speed. To my earlier point on offball def, that's probably why that 1 second hesitation animation was implemented in the first place. In previous games, players would be able to run faster than the ball and either intercept or pressure any defender, making zones almost unbeatable because it seemed every player was getting double teamed but no one was ever open

Passing controls

2k14 (nextgen).

Dribbler controls

2k14 (nextgen).

Dribbler responsiveness

NBA 2k14 (next gen)

[b]Dribbler and defender interaction
[/B

2K9 had it best (see above). And for the love of god please remove the awful stumbling animations that take 3-4 seconds to carry out and are non-interruptable.

Perimeter contact

NBA 2k13 had it best

In 2k14, the animations take too long to carry out so it feels like we lose control of our players too often

Interior contact

Its great 30% of the time in 2k14. Too many fouls are called with any interior contact, and it seems strength has nothing to do with how players interact down low. For example an animation Blake Griffin could do on Nick Collison shouldn't be able to occur on Serge Ibaka.

Animations

I'm actually planning to put that share button to use on my PS4 and make a video of all the useless animations in the game. The most annoying being the layup animations around the rim.

I can literally tell they are telling the mocap guys to "do however many different moves you can in front of the rim" because the amount of relaxed, slow layup attempts that are in the game is amazing. No one in real life would flip the ball over the their back in a faux pas skyhook or jump away from the basket too do a layup in front of the rim

My personal favourite is when players do standing reverse layups for no reason at all when their side of the rim is completely clear.

Best footplanting( or least sliding)

NBa2k14

Although, in MyPlayer, the other team doesn't follow the same laws of the game that everyone else does (on defense and offense) so you see a lot of blow-bys, players changing direction without having to slow down at all, etc

Spacing

Very very bad the lasst few years. Teammates literally move into your path of entry to drive into the paint, or run and stand next too you when you're in isomotion vs your defender.

Players don't move to spots on the court where they can
A) Get the ball
B) Score from where they are standing

So many occasions of centers and forwards that can't shoot standing 17 feet away from the rim allowing their guys to roam about on defense

Shooting/ Jumpshots

Too slow in the last two games. One big problem I have is that catching and shooting are two separate animations that have an intermediate animation inbetween them. This causes players to not be able to catch and shoot the ball within 1 sec and get a good release as well.

My biggest challenge too 2k would be to recreate the difficulty system. As it is, all that happens is the CPU gets rating boosts every time you increase the difficulty. What I would propose is make the game change the sliders based on what difficulty you are playing at.

There would no longer be a distinction between difficulty and slider type. Hall of Fame would be a set of sliders that makes the game play as realistically as possible. With more missed shots, more fatigue, less threes etc

The lower the difficulty the higher the sliders are raised to give a more arcadey feeling to the game. The rating boost thing that's currently implemented just turns the game into a cheese fest vs the CPU as you both shoot 70% from the field and score 120+ points.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:56 PM   #28
Pro

OVR: 2

2k11 all the way (passing, rebounding, animations, contacts) especially prepatch (where easy lead passes to the paint were not a problem), with some 2k9-2k8 mix also (on ball defense, shooting)...

I have to say also that I loved 2k13 controls (shooting with a modifier) I am not sold on this 2k14 controls scheme due to the delay between dribbling and shooting the ball.

On the other hand, they should look at fast breaks as they are a big problem (online ranked) this year ("limit transition" can't avoid the cheesing) but IMO pick and roll logic is very good in 2k14...

Cheers! ;-)
Old 06-26-2014, 03:49 PM   #29
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
Czar, I'll get back on this but do you have the 1st 2k or 2k2 on dreamcast? If so, I remember that game playing as the glove and I thought the live ball and stealing was great in that game. Could be bad memory but the best thing about it was stealing out of the post on doubles. It felt so natural. I know devs said they wanted to give you more time to react and make post moves but that's unrealistic. Moves should have to be quick in the post or read the double and pass out quickly. I thought those 1st editions were done perfectly in my memory of it.

I remember back on NBA2K2 that the steals did feel more natural, you didn't seem to have button mash the steal button, it kind of feel like you could time it and get a real steal against a player. I agree that the post moves need to be quicker.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:38 PM   #30
Rookie

swilling56's Arena

OVR: 0

When are we gonna get real fast break game play. The Cpu always finds ways to run me down on the break & I'm tired of this weak animation year after year after year smh!
Old 06-28-2014, 12:23 AM   #31
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

2K9 had the default dribbling speed and pace perfect. With the nice walk up the court animations. Now when you change speeds it is a little too fast but getting up the court without turbo is very realistic.

2k10 Has the player movement ability to cover ground done very realistically. The player size to court ratio is very well. It makes the off ball defense look and behave very realistic.

2K12 Dribbling/isomotion moves. You might not have as much control and freedom as in 2K14 but the isomotion was free of animation hiccups when trying to combo different things together. Sometimes too much control can work against realistic dribbling outcomes.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »